How Do you carry Gods will?

For recovery discussion

Re: How Do you carry Gods will?

Postby clouds » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:59 am

By at least being willing to consider that what my will wants for me may not be what God wants for me.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Mike O » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:20 am

clouds wrote:By at least being willing to consider that what my will wants for me may not be what God wants for me.

Excellent. Thanks for sharing.
Likewise, being willing to accept that God's will may not be what I want it to be.
:)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Larryp713 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:38 am

If God is our spiritual father, we are all his spiritual children. I am never happier when I see my children help each other, and I get very angry when they are cruel to one another. To please my spiritual father, I must help my spiritual brothers and sisters. When I do this with a good attitude, I am filled with inexplicable joy. It is proof to me that I have carried His will out for me in that moment. Conversely, when I am selfish and self-centered, I become entitled and dissatisfied. Also known as restless, irritable, and discontent. The program of Alcoholics Anonymous and its design for living has connected so many dots for me. I am forever grateful. Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:16 am

Ok, I will try again.

This came to me this Morning while preparing for my day. It is not directed at anyone, I even catch Myself at it during the Day. But this popped into my thinking from nowhere.

A Firm Grasp of Part of the Message

Many of times since joining this Forum, there have been passages quoted from the pages of the Big Book as the "Message to be Carried". Only to be followed by rebuttals and extras.

I think that the Message is in the entire reading. Not just a line here or there. And there is just as many meanings as there is Readers reading it. And somewhat differs every time it is read.

So carrying His Will has as much to do with listening, as trying to say something just to add our ESH.

This does not only hold to the New Comers, but the Ol Timers as well. We all can hear a Message of His Will if we are open enough to Listen.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:13 am

I think that the Message is in the entire reading. Not just a line here or there. And there is just as many meanings as there is Readers reading it. And somewhat differs every time it is read.

YES!

As a person growing in my spirituality, I continue to have new experiences that widen my understanding. I take women through the book and see something that I think, "I have written 'X' in the margin but I think I see that applying to my life differently today!"

I guess I am doing more that just maintenance & upkeep. I am growing.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am

PaigeB wrote:

YES!

As a person growing in my spirituality, I continue to have new experiences that widen my understanding. I take women through the book and see something that I think, "I have written 'X' in the margin but I think I see that applying to my life differently today!"

I guess I am doing more that just maintenance & upkeep. I am growing.

Agreed in both posts, tomorrow we'll be a little more different than today and it is growth in his time and not ours.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:17 pm

One day at a time, just like the BB says:

Chapter 6 "Into Action"

....Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee, Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sleddog75 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:49 pm

I think first people need to understand what God's will is. Of course, they launched an old chip of a book that they believed was moral as well as spiritual.

When I joined AA God's will was very simple...find someone who's had a spiritual experience, get them to help me through the 12 steps and understand the spiritual principles in the Big Book. It works today because I'm an alcoholic.

God's will for me = Do the 12 steps and then practice the 12 spiritual principles to the best of my ability on any given day. Ask for help. Get rocketed into the 4th dimension.

I love my life today :) Keep it simple folks

-Sled
Sleddog75
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:37 am

its impossible for me to do a gods will as its clear to me there isn't one as i just dont believe in 1

thankfully aa is not a religious organization although it sure doesn't stop some aa members trying to turn it into one.
if you wish to advertise aa rooms as a place for worshipping a god then you will find your going against what aa is all about
try and put up in posters a cure for drink by coming to aa and finding god and see just how many people would turn up to a room but then being honest i suspect you people know this and your mission really is trying to trick people into your own flock
aa posters never make any mention of a god or even 12 steps they just show the doom and gloom of what drinking does, it gives out numbers for a helpline and you can then either be personally 12 stepped and taken to a meeting or just given a list of meetings

aa keeps its simple and the traditions are there to protect aa from the drunks who refuse to give in and who make it there duty to get aa to just how they think it should be.

one day hopefully some of you guys will change and be just like aa produces and that's people who have no interest or opinions on anything they dont oppose nor endorse anything, they learn to keep there gobs shut they learnt to keep there big noses out, they learn to that the world and aa will carry on without there expertise

its a real bitter pill to swallow when you finally wake up to what its all about and you look back at your own behaviour over the years and see just how insane the thinking really is and just how we can switch from one obsession ( booze ) to another be it big book bashing, 12 steps ramming at others, to making huge proclamations about god
it make appease fellow suffers who are stuck in that same mind set but it brings no real peace or no real joy as you will find your to busy trying to be right and put your case and try to back it up with all sorts of quotes or name droppings
there is noting more funny in life today then when i think about the times i have been right and the lengths i would go to to prove i was right or that nasty feeling i would get inside myself when someone dared say i was wrong i hated them for it with a passion
which just proved to me that i was still suffering with the ism

for me the ism is always going to be with me till the day i die but i have learned to control the beast to a point, by helping others trying to just do good things for people even people i really dont like it goes right against the gain of me and who i really am but with practise and time it does start to come into your life till it gets to be a natural thing to do

i came in to aa broken and in bits my life ruined and over with booze and i was given nothing but love and kindness and helped hugely by so many good people in aa
i am able to pay that back today by being there to help others who come into the room with there own lives destroyed and its one of the key ingredients for really learning and growing in a real spiritual way.

some might say i am doing gods will with how i live my life today but i dont see it that way at all as i dont believe in a god, but i do believe in aa and the power of aa and the people in aa who only have 1 aim and that is to just be there to help others if they can, nothing more nothing less its not there duty to tell people it will kill them if they carry on that choice is down to every sufferer they will either hit rock bottom themselves and seek the help and be willing or they will not and they will end up wherever the drink will take them. there is nothing you nor i nor aa nor the book nor a god can do about that
the person themselves have to be ready just like i was when i came in smashed to bits

i got my hope by hearing the other drunks share there own stories with me and i came to believe i am just like them and i am not the only one in the world who suffers, from here the seeds were planted and daily i started to grow and i am still growing as i am only a baby at this at 11 years sober but i have been through so much and reminded sober so i have no doubt in my mind and my heart that for me aa works just so long as i am willing to work for it
but aa and the rooms of aa should never be controlled by a gang of people who believe they know just how aa should be or what it should all be about
aa is perfect as it is and doesn't need anyone's help to make sure its just how they like it, those doors of aa are open to anyone and everyone and there not to be used to try to manipulate newcomers which sadly is what a lot of sick aa members do as they have to have there controll there still living in the illness but they just can not see it YET
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby PuppyEars » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:53 am

Pete, did you ever read the big book?
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:56 am

PuppyEars wrote:Pete, did you ever read the big book?

Good question? :roll:
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:40 am

its impossible for me to do a gods will as its clear to me there isn't one as i just dont believe in 1

The OP posted the topic question based on a part of some text written in the BB but, for whatever reason, omitted the complete context. Omitting the context, of course, changes the entire meaning of what Bill W., Dr. Bob & the rest of AA's founding members were actually trying to communicate, i.e. the god of our own individual understanding of god. The complete context from the BB reads:

Chapter 6 "Into Action"

....Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee, Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.

God can be whatever, however any one of us understands God. I understand "God" as the omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent entity in this universe, and whatever lies beyond, aka OM. That's my mental construct of reality and that's what works for me. If your concept of a higher power is Group Of Drunks aka G.O.D. aka AA, that's your mental construct of reality and what works for you. To each his own. Whatever works. Live and let live, right?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:48 pm

I think first people need to understand what God's will is. Of course, they launched an old chip of a book that they believed was moral as well as spiritual.

One of the guys the other day shared that there are close to 7 Billion people and each has their own perspective. And how each experiences "GOD" is their own experience.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Sleddog75 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:27 pm

absolutley Aveneesha. I agree. I did the same 12 steps out of the book that you read but I had different experiences. I can't stay sober off other people's experiences for very long I needed to have my own. Therefore, my spiritual experiences are personal but I did it by reading the same book and steps that everyone else did.
Sleddog75
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Stepchild » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Therefore, my spiritual experiences are personal but I did it by reading the same book and steps that everyone else did.

That's too simple....And not only that....It makes too much sense.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions