How Do you carry Gods will?

For recovery discussion

How Do you carry Gods will?

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:23 am

I would like to hear your thoughts on how you carry Gods will? Maybe we can learn something instead of going around and around.

D'oh said:

Good One. I have been learning all along, I was going to come back from the Meeting tonight and thank everyone. But we must share. I will go first.

My wife's old Laptop, barely held together but I like tinkering on that sort of stuff. Well occasionally out of the blue, the Keyboard quits working. I take that as "Words Not meant to be typed". Before I would Fuss, Cuss, and tear it apart until I found out how to get my thoughts in text.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: How Do you carry Gods will?

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:27 am

When one afternoon I was in dilemma on whether giving away CDs is really working or its just waste of effort.

Boom that same evening a friend of mine heard a speaker mention that the CD had given him changed the course of his recovery. Today the same person runs a recovery program like what Mark H had. The group he started gathers around 100 young vibrant recovered people who take meetings into salvation army and other treatment centers. Thats Gods will form me. Now I have a 11 CD duplicator. LOL.

I want to share one more just happened past week. Will share in a moment.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Stepchild » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:41 am

I'm not big on reinventing the wheel....They lay this out clearly on pages 86 to 88...I try and follow that to the best of my ability. It works....Why change it?

As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves.

It works - it really does.

We alcoholics are undisciplined. So we let God discipline us in the simple way we have just outlined.

pgs 87-88

If you don't have a book....More from page 86...

When we retire at night, we constructively review our day. Were we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should be discussed with another person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done better? Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time? Or were we thinking of what we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life? But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to others. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assurance, for after all God gave us brains to use. Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.

In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle. We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while.

It's not real difficult. The work comes in arriving to this point.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby PuppyEars » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:12 am

I carry God's will by not respond^ng to spammers and focusing on lines like
We absolutely insist on enjoying life.
We are not a glum lot.
We stand on our feet, dont crawl before anyone.

these are principles to me so I try to carry them out as well. I am so glad He gave me a personality too. Imagine being 'the stamp' 24/7. Has to be tiring.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:37 am

I'm not big on reinventing the wheel.

We are not. We are sharing our experiences here. How we experience and execute Gods will.

So, past weekend after working with a friend who was really pumped to see how Bill recovered from that seemingly hopeless sate of mind and body later on calls me irate that the 1/2 house homed in an apartment complex was shut down. So I set about finding a place for him, he did find a temporary place to spend the weekend. I called 2 people who work closely with a transition home that is associated with a church. One didn't even respond. The other said they dont consider Alcoholics only people out of jails and prison. I didn't give up. I met a third person at the meeting who gave me the contact info and said they may consider if you tell them if he is dead serious. Today he found a place much cheaper than the 1/2 way house. A chance meet of this person you may say but, it was all Gods will. You see I don't have to be in a meeting, you can be doing Gods Will 24/7.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:54 pm

(As God's people) We stand on our feet, don't crawl before anyone.

This is the question though. Is it God's Will, or our own translation of His will as we understand it?

I reflected a lot about Avaneesh's question last night before retiring. Is it My will or My HP's will? I can only carry what I have been given. Right or Wrong.

So I thought of all of the messages I hear at meetings. I do believe that my HP works partly through the members, and has Never Called me by phone. All of the messages I hear have a meaning, but the tricky part is "What does it mean in my Daily life?" Even trickier, "Will this ever have a meaning as I Trudge this Road of Happy Destiney?"

My HP also works all around me. Little signs here and there, if I am just Open enough to slow down and see them. The Outhouse at our Cabin has almost become a place of Worship after an Evening that I was Open enough to see my HP's message. In fact the storey I told of it almost had me booted out of Pre marriage Course my wife and I had to attend over 25 years ago.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:35 pm

The resident atheist gets to tell this magical story that I wrote about in the DR thread earlier this week...

Re: 5th September Daily Reflection

Postby PaigeB » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:14 pm
people whom my life touched casually, but whose days I troubled through my anger and sarcasm.

There's a humbling number... everyone ever? for all time? Yes.

I made a 2nd direct amends to my mom this weekend. Seems the things on my list were only bothering me! Get this, she barely remembers my initial amends and all these years I been saying I had to "make amends for my amends" !! She did remember the money though, whew. Anyway, again it was a less than stellar and momentous moment in an 8 hour day of hanging out & what might be called living amends, but one she will likely not recognize 3 weeks from now. AGAIN, I left the process 2nd guessing myself: Crap! Did I mumble that? Did she just respond with the very thing that hurts my heart so much? (I talk too much) Does she hate me?

A 3 hour car ride home with a head full of this?? No, no, no. I know better than to ruminate on such things ~ THAT I have practice at! And what came to me after a Pause was that I could really do no better than I did back then & now. From now on, lest I hurt her, or myself, I must just live my amends. One thing in particular (the thing I thought I mumbled), was that I had missed so many opportunities to be helpful. Now, in my living amends, that is the thought I will take with me. Not that she and I disagreed about which sibling did what, but that I was truly sad that I missed so many opportunities. Whether I was drunk or selfish, I missed an uncountable number.

I will be forever grateful that the Steps gave me this opportunity to learn and love. Also, that I had to have my own experience with them in order to truly believe that all WILL BE WELL, despite all the shortcomings that I bring to the table. All I can ever do is live well today ~ and be a helpful person.

Thanks for letting me share.

I guess I will carry the message through acts of being helpful in general. Not very momentous to some, but it means the world to me and it might just save the life of another suffering drunk.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:38 am

Be as scrupulous as possible about my own motives, and to the best of my ability, act out of love, not fear.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:25 am

Is it My will or My HP's will?

For me, when I looked back, there was always someone guiding me in the right direction. Be it selecting the carrier path, at the job, life in general. Dis-function arises when I start dreaming and wasting my energy on it. That definitely my will. Very early on in my recovery Don P made a great impression on me, on how he carried meetings into the facility. Eight years later after lot of frustration I got in. See, the first few years perhaps God thought, I wasn't ready, the family wasn't ready all happened in the right time. But I tried to push my will. Think, it ought serve me a good compass, instead of getting frustrated may be its not God will for me to experience that at this moment or may be never.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:56 am

I believe my actions should explain carrying God's will. Now I am a SOB and I get red faced and act like a jerk. The old saying from my Navy days: 1,000 atta boys and one ah sh!t! So most people see my bad sides instead of my good sides as we are all human and for me a constant work in progress and thus I remain humble.

I have found over the years that I have really changed a lot and yet I still have some of my initial fundamental parts of my personality that still exist and these are the areas I have to work on and not allow them to express to much.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:25 am

I carry God's will by not respond^ng to spammers

How is quoting what the Big Book says about carrying God's will spam? I like Stepchild try to keep this simple and not reinvent the wheel. I understand that we are talking about our experience with carrying God's will..but the directions in the book guide me through this so I don't go around thinking I'm doing God's will...I have a reference point. The book says God wants us to be happy, joyous and free...everyday I have a choice...a)to practice these principles in all my affairs(God's will) or b)do things my way...today this is not a hard choice to make...I like being happy, joyous and free.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Mike O » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:27 am

By doing the best I can to put others before myself in all I do.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:02 pm

How is quoting what the Big Book says about carrying God's will spam?

Because anything expressed through language is not the reality it refers to: language is like a map and the map is not the territory. The territory, that is, reality, has to be experienced. Promoting the widespread assumption that an alcoholic or anyone else can grasp reality through language involves a degree of insanity.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Because anything expressed through language is not the reality it refers to: language is like a map and the map is not the territory. The territory, that is, reality, has to be experienced. Promoting the widespread assumption that an alcoholic or anyone else can grasp reality through language involves a degree of insanity.

Hahahaha...so those of us who quote and use the words in the Big Book as a guide to spiritual progress are insane? I've got news for you we're all using language on this site...that is how we convey our experience...your post makes no sense at all.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:45 am

Reborn wrote:
I carry God's will by not respond^ng to spammers

How is quoting what the Big Book says about carrying God's will spam? I like Stepchild try to keep this simple and not reinvent the wheel. I understand that we are talking about our experience with carrying God's will..but the directions in the book guide me through this so I don't go around thinking I'm doing God's will...I have a reference point. The book says God wants us to be happy, joyous and free...everyday I have a choice...a)to practice these principles in all my affairs(God's will) or b)do things my way...today this is not a hard choice to make...I like being happy, joyous and free.

I like this post and I can say I believe we are also supposed to learn to live outside in the world and our abilities to carry this sober mission is in our actions. I can't hide in the halls of AA all my life and expect to grow because the founders wanted us to bloom in society. A lot of meanings and a lot of options on individual ways to carry Gods will.

What I can say is I am not an expert on AA, but I have been able to live and stay sober and learn of many of the promises the BB mentions and for this I can say or efforts and labor are in the efforts we put into sobriety each day.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to Discussions