Root and Branch!

For recovery discussion

Root and Branch!

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:10 am

There I humbly offered myself to God, as I then I understood Him, to do with me as He would. I placed myself unreservedly under His care and direction. I admitted for the first time that of myself I was nothing; that without Him I was lost. I ruthlessly faced my sins and became willing to have my new-found Friend take them away, root and branch. I have not had a drink since.

I was contemplating this morning. Bill W says he became willing to have his new found Friend (GOD) to take them (Short coming) away, root and branch. I thought it was profound. He didn't say just prune or just the branch. With respect to alcohol, i have complete surrender, But, in some of the other areas, I have not given up root and branch and keep wondering why those keep coming back. I haven't given up completely.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Root and Branch!

Postby PuppyEars » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:42 am

I get why you bolded them words but more important words to me are Face and be rid of that which is blocking us. It doesn't matter to me that it appeared on a certain page. It helped with writing an inventory so I use it in other areas of life as well.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby Duke » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:53 am

Bill Wilson's hyperbole often exceeded his reality. Despite having his defects removed "root and branch", he continued throughout his life to suffer defective emotional responses to life and battle emotional dependencies.

I certainly know that in my time in the program, one of the bleakest periods I had was when I was convinced I must be doing something wrong because these deeply imbedded emotional defects continued to occur despite a lot of hard work and my sincere desire to be rid of them.

It took a while, but I finally came to accept these defective emotional responses to life as part of the package that is me. The only danger there is for me from them is when I try to pretend I don't have them. The program gives me tools to deal with them productively when they occur, but they only work if I stay cognizant of the fact that when I'm emotionally disturbed yet again, it's just me and not some problem with life or my program.

Good topic. Thanks.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:04 am

I get why you bolded them words but more important words to me are Face and be rid of that which is blocking us. It doesn't matter to me that it appeared on a certain page. It helped with writing an inventory so I use it in other areas of life as well.

I agree. We are to work towards overcoming those that are blocking us. What I am trying to say is, its the usual justification. I am not hurting others. For example, the one hand typing :lol: , I am not hurting others justification. But the same mind comes back and says what you are doing is wrong. I wasn't convinced that I am done in that area meaning give up Root and Branch.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks Duke.

I have emotional responses which I don't like. I do my prayer and meditation and inventory. Some days go great. Some don't. I usually kick myself around for awhile until I realize that is what I am doing.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:00 am

to take them (Short coming) away, root and branch. I thought it was profound.

It IS profound! Have you ever tried to dig up a tree?

We have to do it all the time... little baby trees want to start right at the edges of my garage and my house foundation. It is a deep cut and sometimes we still don't get the entire thing and it rapidly grows back. The older it is bigger it gets and the harder is to get rid of it. Seriously, I need 2 miracles right now!

I keep trying to tell hubby and son that instead of just mowing over or weed whacking the tiny things when they are like weeds, they need to pull them out root and branch (or seedling) if they are smart about it!

Unfortunately it is too late for the one at the garage. I am pretty sure the roots reach well under the concrete slab and will never be eradicated. It might be that way with the one by the house too, but I can't face the fact that it might one day ruin the foundation... so I am ignoring it. :|
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:04 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:I was contemplating this morning. Bill W says he became willing to have his new found Friend (GOD) to take them (Short coming) away, root and branch. I thought it was profound. He didn't say just prune or just the branch. With respect to alcohol, i have complete surrender, But, in some of the other areas, I have not given up root and branch and keep wondering why those keep coming back. I haven't given up completely.

Step 6 'became willing' (sounds like a process to me; probably a life long one)
Step 7 'Humbly asked'

I often hear people talking about 'working on their character defects' (me too :lol: ), but all that stuff, with the exception of becoming willing and humbly asking is God's business, not mine.

I can't force myself to be less self-centred; the ego trying to control the ego doesn't work; so I take courses of action that I think is God's will and this eases my self centredness somewhat.

Sometimes.

Maybe.

:lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:20 pm

Root and branch...

Are we now ready to let God remove from us all the things which we have admitted are objectionable? Can He now take them all - every one? If we still cling to something we will not let go, we ask God to help us be willing.

When ready, we say something like this: "My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen." We have then completed Step Seven.

Pg 76

Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them.
Step 10 pg 84

That seems pretty simple.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Step 6 I was entirely ready and step 7 I humbly asked Him to remove my shortcomings...it doesn't say that He is going to do these things on my time. This is why we have the 10th and 11th steps. If I stay close to Him and do my best to perform his work well my human defects stay in check for the most part. I don't try and guess my through this life of sobriety...instead I try and keep it simple and carefully follow the directions in that blue book.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:17 am

I find it productive to do a little more than what's in the book. Instead of just asking for the defect to be removed each time it crops up, I like to trace it back to the 'root.' I can be reading something, watching a show, or just going about my business, and something comes up which sends my mind down the road of remembrance, and often several minutes of life or a good book or show are lost, while I give an old resentment or fear of the future a new shelf life.

I don't like the word 'trigger' when applied to rekindling the desire to drink, but find it applies when we go back and stir these old resentments or fears. The idea I find is to learn first to recognize when it is happening and stop as quickly as possible, trace our thoughts backwards and we find something that started the ball rolling. We can then very briefly examine the whole process, I think young people say 'own it,' spiritual people sometimes say show it in the light, whatever the wording, examining where the undesirable thought originated, gives a chance of killing it. A much better chance than just saying God please remove this defect, which is basically what the book suggests.

I wrote on old resentments and fears mainly, I consider these defects of character, for the more common ones like impatience greed lust and so on, I also look at the complete package, what has caused it, how shall I control it, rather than just God please remove it. Also someone may say in step ten it does tell us to discuss these things with someone, and in a way this may be looking at the 'whole picture' as well. I just don't believe in that sort of thing, but can see the usefulness to those who do.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Stepchild » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:48 am

I wrote on old resentments and fears mainly, I consider these defects of character, for the more common ones like impatience greed lust and so on, I also look at the complete package, what has caused it, how shall I control it, rather than just God please remove it. Also someone may say in step ten it does tell us to discuss these things with someone, and in a way this may be looking at the 'whole picture' as well. I just don't believe in that sort of thing, but can see the usefulness to those who do.

What you are saying is pretty much the same as this...Whether you do it at night or as a running inventory throughout the day...

When we retire at night, we constructively review our day. Were we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should be discussed with another person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done better? Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time? Or were we thinking of what we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life? But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to others. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.
Pg 86

I don't want to get in to over analyzing this step....I think the simplicity is the beauty of it.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:55 am

in some of the other areas, I have not given up root and branch and keep wondering why those keep coming back.

I am learning that the 3rd & 7th Step prayers don't say "take them away so I feel better" or even "... so I know I have completely surrendered". Removal comes if & when they stand in the way of usefulness to others or to bear witness to (his) Love.

Like Tosh said, that's God's business, not mine. I can only hope to see a small part of the big picture. No way can I guess when my defects might be useful or when victory over them is complete. Sometimes my surrender is complete in so far as much I am able, but it is not god's time. Same thing goes for whether or not the thought of a drink springs to mind... not the obsession, that comes if I feed this thought, but a random thought of wistful memories of Labor Days passed, when I thought alcohol still had some benefits. My timing was probably a little long on that too. :lol:

I like getting another alcoholic's perspective on such things.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions