Is it really One Day at a Time?

For recovery discussion

Re: Is it really One Day at a Time?

Postby PaigeB » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:05 am

As for the New Comer being confused in all of this. Isn't One Day at a Time for them? It is the Old Timers saying "We no longer fear drink, if temped, we recoil from it. This has magically been removed"

I would be dead if the old timer's said that when I was new.

I did not come into with a belief in Magic. I did not believe in a traditional Christian HP like most folks in the US Bible Belt. If they told me that a) the temptation was removed I would NOT be like them since I still had that temptation for a couple of months b) I had not yet learned to practice semantics with religious connotations to words like God & Creator and c) waiting for that removal would have created an Expectation (resentment) that Daddy would take care of things instead of me having to do the work if I really wanted to live.

avaneesh912 wrote:I would like to hear your thoughts on how you carry Gods will? Maybe we can learn something instead of going around and around.

Good topic for a new thread as this one is heading into page 5.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Reborn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:22 pm

I'm glad the oldtimers shared that the obsession was removed...that gave me alot of hope. I believe it is my job as a recovered alcoholic to share HOPE with the newcomer...part of that hope is...

page 84-85

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

Did I have to work for this? Of course I did...but I carefully followed direction and get to experience the above today. Why wouldn't I want to share that with a newcomer? If sharing that the obsession to drink has been removed gives a newcomer a resentment maybe they will actually pick up that book and read it.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Roman James » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:36 pm

PaigeB wrote:Look To This Day

Look to this day:
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course
Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,
The splendor of achievement
Are but experiences of time.

For yesterday is but a dream
And tomorrow is only a vision;
And today well-lived, makes
Yesterday a dream of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well therefore to this day;
Such is the salutation to the ever-new dawn!

This is beautiful.
Roman James
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Excerpt from the "Why We Were Chosen" address by Judge John T., 4th Anniversary of the Chicago Group October 5, 1943

"....The history of alcoholic addiction is marked by an unwillingness or inability to live in the present. For it is the morbid past that has an unholy attraction and the uncertain future which is filled with vague forebodings. The hope of the Alcoholic, the real tangible hope of the Alcoholic is in the present, now is the acceptable time, the past is beyond recall -- the future is as uncertain as life itself. Only the now is ours."
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:32 am

Thanks EZ! I like that alot!

Gotta lock this one before we spill over into page 6!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions