Is it really One Day at a Time?

For recovery discussion

Is it really One Day at a Time?

Postby leng12 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:55 am

Hi.

Thought I would share my an experience I had recently. In July, after getting One Year, I had a big 'chip dip'. Fairly common as I discovered. Last month the ODAAT concept got me. Example: Today is Thursday. I'm really busy with work Friday-Sunday so I know I won't drink till Monday, at least. So, it's not really ODAAT is it?

This thought spiralled and led me to take my foot off the pedal with meetings, fellowship, step work, prayer and meditation. My head 'wobbled' and led to 'bad behaviour'. I didn't drink but can now see my head would have led me to drink. As of last week I'm back in the rooms and with two feet firmly planted.

For me the answer is yes. IT REALLY IS ODAAT!
leng12
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Is it really One Day at a Time?

Postby Brock » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:53 am

As of last week I'm back in the rooms and with two feet firmly planted.

It is my belief and experience, that I could be anywhere in the world, rooms or no rooms, and have two feet firmly planted. This has happened by enjoying living within the spiritual practice outlined in 10, 11 & 12, and reading uplifting literature. It becomes very easy to do, the book says it becomes a 'working part of the mind,' and 'we come to rely on it.'

When we enjoy living a certain way we want to maintain that enjoyment, so once we get to that 'spiritual plain' it becomes quite obvious to us when we are falling off, so we might then do as they suggest in 'Into Action,'- “As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action.”

The book suggests living one day at a time, it's not about staying sober one day at a time, unless the person is new and has not done the required work for a spiritual experience. Yes taking your foot off the pedal spiritually can cause the problems you describe, but I believe the goal is to get used to living with that spiritual approach so it becomes automatic, when we falter even for a few minutes we feel crappy, so we get back in the groove.

Thanks for the topic, my reply is a little strong, but I do come out swinging when I try to explain what I firmly believe to be true. Yes “every day is a day we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities,” but that doesn’t mean we interpret it as ODAAT, because it is a “working part of the mind.”
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:08 am

Labor day weekend coming. 10 years ago I would be already drinking and would be planning on how much more or what kind of drinks I have to stock up, where am I invited, will alcohol be served...of course I would only go to parties were liquor is served.

But today, I have no such thoughts. Exactly like the 10th step promises states. The problem has been removed.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:09 am

Yes, I too have found out the hard way and made it back by the Grace of my Higher Power.

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s will into all of our activities.
pg.85

I look at IT as a Gift/ I do not own it, but I do get to enjoy it and utilize it, if I only ask.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:31 am

ODAAT... to not drink or ODAAT to live life....

In the beginning, and in times of great trouble, we can revert to the Basics. And I had to live a lot of "don't drink right now" moments and days in the beginning, until I had my first spiritual awakening. And less and less as I went through the Steps.

After working the Steps with a sponsor I found I was more like where Brock spoke of from the 10th Step Promises, feet firmly planted in Steps 10, 11 & 12 and able to go where alcohol is and be neutral to it.

Today, and most days, I live in the solution ODAAT... I might wake up tomorrow and not feel very spiritually healthy and I may need to practice a little with the ODAAT Tool. Among the other things I have learned, ODAAT is not a silver bullet. I may need to do more work on a Step, I may need to pray, I may need to visit the museum - who knows? Follow you HP's guidance, but DO something!

My experience is like yours though, I got a little hinky around my first anniversary and I was SURE that if I did nto get my sobriety medallion ON THE DAY I would drink - as if it was a magic bullet. Many of the women from my home group and friends in the program came to my ONE THE DAY meeting to see my sponsor give me the chip. That group even made me a cake! I just got 7 years, and even though I was not QUITE that crazy, I was hinky - this time by the very idea that I went 7 years, let alone 7 days! But because of what I learned in year one, today I can laugh at myself. That is a good tool too. :lol: :lol:

Congrats on not drinking. Now please: Live in the Solution ODAAT!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Look To This Day

Look to this day:
For it is life, the very life of life.
In its brief course
Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,
The splendor of achievement
Are but experiences of time.

For yesterday is but a dream
And tomorrow is only a vision;
And today well-lived, makes
Yesterday a dream of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well therefore to this day;
Such is the salutation to the ever-new dawn!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Page 85. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.

Thanks for putting this up with the page number, to me it speaks for itself, because there are many more pages to go, and more to learn. Just below this on 85 at the end of # 10 we see this - “If we have carefully followed directions, we have begun to sense the flow of His Spirit into us. To some extent we have become God-conscious. We have begun to develop this vital sixth sense. But we must go further and that means more action.” Yes we have begun to develop, so we move on to # 11, and we see things like this - “We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while. What used to be the hunch or the occasional inspiration gradually becomes a working part of the mind….we find that our thinking will, as time passes, be more and more on the plane of inspiration. We come to rely upon it.”

So we can close the book at page 85 and grow no more, and warn others that they only have a daily reprieve, which is underselling our marvelous program. Or we can do as the book asks and continue to grow, and when you know what it means to walk in the sunlight of the spirit, you realize that it is far more than a daily reprieve, because you never walk alone.
Last edited by Brock on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:52 pm

I never think about one day at a time. I never think about drinking either.
But I work on my spirituality as much as possible.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby PuppyEars » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Never needed it for sobriety but good to combat anxiousness.
If it's helping you, roll with it!
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:38 pm

So we can close the book at page 85 and grow no more, and warn others that they only have a daily reprieve, which is underselling our marvelous program. Or we can do as the book asks and continue to grow, and when you know what it means to walk in the sunlight of the spirit, you realize that it is far more than a daily reprieve, because you never walk alone.

You do seem quite concerned about the Whole ODAAT. You seem to work all of "We never have to look back for we are Cured"

I once had similar beliefs. I see it different today. So I am just a little more wary.

But may I ask why you left out
Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s will into all of our activities.
?

The Book does say a lot, but picking and choosing what we want to hear, is it really the message?
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:40 pm

For me the answer is yes. IT REALLY IS ODAAT!

It really is ODAAT for me too.

When I first discovered this concept, I just thought of it as a very clever psychological trick to keep me away from that first drink and that's about all. It took me a while, and lots of meditation and introspection, to begin to understand the power in living in the now. I had to experience it before I really "got it".

Congrats again on one year sober!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:45 pm

But may I ask why you left out
Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s will into all of our activities.

Because I thought it was covered by this, which I quoted in bold letters -“What used to be the hunch or the occasional inspiration gradually becomes a working part of the mind.” So if it becomes a working part of the mind we just do it, it becomes a part of our life.
You do seem quite concerned about the Whole ODAAT. You seem to work all of "We never have to look back for we are Cured"

That's below the belt, I never hinted at being cured. Maybe because you slipped after some years you are now extra cautious, maybe you haven't had the sort of on fire spiritual experience I enjoy, I can't say which. But at least you had a chance at sobriety, how many people in the rooms might be put off when all they hear is talk of a daily reprieve. As someone said if it helps you go with it, but the literature promises more than that, as I said earlier we shouldn't undersell the program.
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:49 pm

PaigeB wrote:Look To This Day

Look to this day:
In its brief course
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,

Beautiful! Thanks, Paige.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:24 pm

I heard one day at a time explained as a reminder that the only time and place you have to practice the principles is here and now. If you're not practicing the principles now, you're not practicing the principles.

I've found this thought to be very simple to remember when life is coming at me fast and furiously.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:40 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:
PaigeB wrote:Look To This Day

Look to this day:
In its brief course
The bliss of growth,
The glory of action,

Beautiful! Thanks, Paige.

I should have made note that it is a Sandscrit Proverb. But you probably knew that I didn't write those beautiful words. :wink:
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to Discussions