Sharing at meetings

For recovery discussion

Re: Sharing at meetings

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:46 am

People who spout their opinion are not going to like Chris R who points us back to the basic Text. Most people hate such kind of people because their experience doesn't match whats in the book. While the book talks about mind being the main problem of the alcoholic, most out there still talk about 'not taking that first drink'. So their primary problem is losing control after we take that first drink. While we see so many picking those chips and going in and out several times, because all they hear is these 1 lines. Its the engine not the kabose, dont drink and go to meetings. We run out of white chips so fast, sometimes we give out a piece of the styrofoam coffee cups.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:51 am

Perhaps, if people want to argue about Chris R, they should start a thread.
This thread will be locked soon anyway.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:37 am

I don't see people who “want to argue about Chris R,” I see people defending a message written in the literature, the same way he does. We are discussing what people share at meetings, if his message is an example of what we believe in so be it. The first part of the reflection today says -
The other Steps can keep most of us sober and somehow functioning. But Step Eleven can keep us growing, . . .

As a matter of fact he often shouts “where is the blasted hope in that,” or words to that effect, when referring to the message we usually get from those who will not grow along the step eleven lines. And that is what we see and hear in meetings and also here, 'terrible things are happening in my life, thank god for the group who will get me through without drinking,' I can go there and tell them all about it. Too bad for those who came for a message of hope for a good life without drink, they will leave with a message of life's still crappy but at least I don't drink.

Such a discussion is far more relevant to the success of the fellowship and new members than many others currently active, of course you can lock it if you wish, but it was agreed several times that threads are locked after five pages, this page five has just started, so please give us some leeway.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:38 am

And to see how the demographics of an institution, a place or any other organization for that matter change over a course of time slowly, there are some great videos on youtube. You could see how a place transforms and doesn't even resemble anywhere close to who and how it looked 30 years ago. Now when the natives visit those place, they get slapped.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:22 am

I invite anyone who wants to see good AA come to District 8 in Iowa, Area 24. You will be welcome at any meeting open or closed and also the District meeting which meets the 3rd Monday of every month. We work the Steps here. If you come you can hit meetings literally morning noon and night - 7/8 am, 9 am, Noon, 530pm, 7/8pm daily in several locations and I think there is still a 9pm meeting too. I trust you will see Love and the Steps & Traditions at each meeting! Please stay for a few days ~ let it sink in that here we do not dilute AA nor do we stop folks from sharing their pains. I can even get you in as a speaker somewhere ~ we love new ES&H!

We have a Big Book Workshop this weekend, fella from Texas sharing this time. It is not uncommon at all for us to have these workshops a few times a year and we have several regular meetings that are Step Meetings or Big Book Studies every week. But ALL of the meetings here stick to AA approved Literature, usually readings from the BB, the 12 & 12 or the DR, and we have one group even named Basic Text, Thursday at 6pm.

We have had Chris R and 2 of his fellows give a workshop here, which I took 3 sponsees to. I am afraid I got a little bored with the bluster (still I got in line to have them autograph my BB), but one of my young gals was literally thrown into a panic about finishing the Steps "now" or she would die. She wanted to work quickly, so we did it at her pace and when we got to Step 9 she asked, "Do I have to be sincere?" Oh, LOL! I guess we needed to back up as we missed something while cleaning and it was stinking up the place lol. My newest sponsee, a younger gal, is deep into Step 6 & 7. She gets her one year chip in mid-December and will be Secretary of her home group starting rotation in January, working 3 sides of the Triangle.

So the invitation is open! Come see us or we'll come see you! What we do works and we'd be happy to share it! We'd be happy if you take it or leave it :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:54 am

Oh, LOL! I guess we needed to back up as we missed something while cleaning and it was stinking up the place lol.

The book says we just made a beginning. David A, was another old-timer perhaps tells it in a different way. This kissing and hugging is not going to keep the alcoholic sober. He/she needs to be exposed to all the principles right-away. Some equate thoroughly to slowly wading through the steps. If thats what is working for them so be it. Perhaps they mind isn't badly mangled as others. Who knows. There is absolutely now way in putting down every thing from the past. Some of them surface way after we start cleaning up. Its a commitment we make and pursue this life-long.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 pm

Its a commitment we make and pursue this life-long.

Yup. We backed up to some stuff on her 8th Step list and talked about how we will not feel tenacious about making amends everyday. We have to be ready & willing to take action. Ready being the operative word. If I do not feel I regret my actions then I should not approach making amends. A little more inner work on Steps 6 & 7, some more 1 on 1 discussion of Step 8 and she was off to schedule her direct amends. :arrow:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby RELENG » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:32 am

Public speaking is the #1 fear of people in general....has nothing to do with alcoholism, most everyone has this fear till they get some practice doing it.
RELENG
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to Discussions