Welcoming the newcomer

For recovery discussion

Re: Welcoming the newcomer

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:15 pm

..the above passage says "intensive work with other alcoholics"...to me that means talking to newcomers, oldtimers, relapsers and everyone in between..."it works when other activities fail."

I agree. Works for me!

My ESH is that my interaction with other sober alcoholics -- or non-sober alcoholics -- doesn't have to be "intensive" or even feel like "work" to benefit others and me. I've found that daily contact contributes to my spiritual condition, whether that contact takes place in a meeting, on the phone or email, when an AA friend happens to drop by for a chat, when I'm doing errands in town, etc. All of these encounters are opportunities for me to apply "these principles in all my affairs" and give back a little of the much that was given to me over the years.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Brock wrote:...I think people stand a higher chance of ending up with a sponsor who doesn’t suit them, because it is kind of hard to say no when someone offers themselves, even if we really want to.

That is why we have, thank goodness, temporary sponsors; someone to help newcomers out in the meantime while they search for a permanent sponsor! That way, if the sponsor feels they are not a good match for the sponsee, no one's feelings get hurt.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Sleddog75 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:00 pm

This is a great topic. As a newcomer once myself I remember being welcomed and the meeting about why after 10 years of absence I chose to return to AA. I almost died. Many times! Hard to kill an alcoholic. But I didn't like being singled out either. I kind of wanted to fade away in the background and not be seen or heard, but my sponsor had other ideas. On my first meeting back, he made me stand at the door and greet people. I said distinctly " But I don't know anyone" and he said "since when did I say this had anything to do with you?". And from that point forward I've discovered that everything in AA is guiding me to be of service to others and to the Creator. I don't know much. But I do know this because I'm armed with facts about myself a) I am present at meetings to support my home group and to stand ready to carry this awesome message of hope (the big book and the 12 steps) to anyone who asks b) Meetings don't keep ME sober c) Meetings aren't about ME d) I get to bear witness to the awesome power and celebration of alcoholics doing together what they couldn't do alone. e) I never ever approach a newcomer. I raise my hand when asked who is available for sponsorship and if people like what I have to say they ask me and I do my best, always ready and willing, to do step work with them. that's it. that's my simple approach to meetings and newcomers. I don't know much though.
Sleddog75
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions