Grab your highlighter

For recovery discussion

Grab your highlighter

Postby PuppyEars » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:47 pm

Description of an alcoholic:

Page xxx -
All these, and many others, have one symptom in common: they cannot start drinking without developing the phenomenon of craving. This phenomenon, as we have suggested, may be the manifestation of an allergy which differentiates these people, and sets them apart as a distinct entity.

Page 21 -
But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink.

Page 24 -
The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink.

Page 30 -
Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker.

Page 39 -
But the actual or potential alcoholic, with hardly an exception, will be absolutely unable to stop drinking on the basis of self-knowledge. This is a point we wish to emphasize and re-emphasize, to smash home upon our alcoholic readers as it has been revealed to us out of bitter experience.

Page 43 -
Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink.

Page 44 -
In the preceding chapters you have learned something of alcoholism. We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Re: Grab your highlighter

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Yeah, Nobody is asking people to qualify others as alcoholic. We are talking about helping the new-comer find the truth. The issue is there are too many people in the fellowship who don't know what alcoholism is all about and want to take a easy way out.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby 4thDimension » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:59 pm

So much for willpower, huh?
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tyg » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:46 am

Knowledge of my alcoholism won't keep me sober either and, why this is a program of action by carefully following the directions in the Big Book.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:50 am

So much for willpower, huh?

Bring up the topic of "Powerlessness and Un-Manageability" and observe the shares. Typically it will right away start with "When" took a drink.....or I planned to get f' faced....Nothing about the struggle we go through after we decide to stay stopped. How the mind tricks us into taking that drink. The big book illustrates these with some great examples. NO, the big book mentions too much GOD. I am going to use the living sober/12 and 12.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby whipping post » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:03 am

When I came in I was told to read the BB and when I did the lines you posted were what hooked me. I got pretty excited when I started reading about the problem drinker. Perhaps that is what I was! But when I kept reading and relating to being powerless it was undeniable. Here I was being described in a book written so many years ago.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:16 am

Here I was being described in a book written so many years ago.

It was about a month into my recovery went to a speakers meeting. The parking lot was so full and the room as packed and the speaker didn't disappoint. He read the paragraph where we switch from one type to another.

Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy

I got convinced then that I am one.

How to tap into the power, came few months later, perhaps my befogged mind couldn't digest the solution then.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby 4thDimension » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:21 pm

"Taking a trip, not taking a trip". This paragraph in "More About Alcoholism" always makes me laugh. It describes many of my efforts to drink like other people, all of which failed miserably.

One day I realized I could not drink anymore - alcohol was taking everything I cared about. But I knew I would drink - my history told me that. There was only one thing left to do; find a power that would solve my problem.

I found a power and the problem is solved, at least for today.
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PuppyEars » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:25 am

I posted this because it's an outline I use to qualify someone that asks me to help them thru the book. I didn't attend the self-diagnosis school of aa. The man that showed me the ropes qualified me before he went any further. And I can see why. If the new guy fits these descriptions I can help him. If he can't identify, what business do I have trying to help him with something I know nothing about? It doesn't make him less than, but here, my friend Mark has experience with that - here is his number. Good luck bro bye now.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:29 am

PuppyEars wrote:I posted this because it's an outline I use to qualify someone that asks me to help them thru the book. I didn't attend the self-diagnosis school of aa. The man that showed me the ropes qualified me before he went any further. And I can see why. If the new guy fits these descriptions I can help him. If he can't identify, what business do I have trying to help him with something I know nothing about? It doesn't make him less than, but here, my friend Mark has experience with that - here is his number. Good luck bro bye now.

I was young and I was so pissed to be known as an alcoholic as I thought I'd failed out of life from the bar stool! Looking back it has been the best thing that ever happened to me because it has made me more accountable of "me"

I mess some things up although I am sober when I hit that pillow and I made it through another day and this is good.

I am selfish and yet I do have responsibilities that have made me look outside the me curtains and so I try to be a better person each day and some day's I should of never got out of bed. I am my worst critic as well and many I know can relate to that point.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 am

Desire, compulsion and habit are all things I deal with daily. I want to drink sometimes. And When I stop and think about it, I think why? to make me feel better of course. Yet I have tested this recently. I drank for satisfaction, and got none. The only feeling I got was the desire for another drink. When I have the urge to drink and do not, I feel the same, yet without the desire for another drink. This addiction is crazy. I want to drink to escape and solve my problems. yet it never works and I feel so much better when I do not drink. I believe that God is stepping in and showing me that drinking gets you nothing in life, while for so many years I thought drinking would bring me everything.
Great post.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions