Fear of unhappiness

For recovery discussion

Re: Fear of unhappiness

Postby Spirit Flower » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:41 pm

The current discussion is off topic from the OP.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:03 pm

It went South a long time ago, in post #6 things like this were said - The steps are a method and not the answer,...It is not making amends, doing a personal inventory, or providing service, its about not reaching for the bottle and affirming and rewarding yourself for not grabbing it. Whipping post then tried to bring it back on point, unfortunately this was smashed by someone quoting the entire post of off topic nonsense, and stating - “I totally agree on every point. Thanks for sharing!”

From then on the topic changed, half way down the first page, and this should be totally understandable. As responsible recovered alcoholics, we could not let the newcomer who started the thread, or any other person seeking recovery, read what was said without refuting it. We could have followed the guideline and started a new topic, or the moderators could have followed the same guideline and moved the posts.

I apologize for my part in it, and trust that the OP Star001 understands.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:58 pm

It went South a long time ago, in post #6 things like this were said - The steps are a method and not the answer

Yes, I have been observing the posts from this gentlemen, always seemed to be not wanting to work the steps, always trying to share his own way of staying sober. I could totally understand that. I thought I will have to stay sober by taking vivitrol early in my journey. And then pain opened up my being for the 12 steps. Hopefully this gentleman would get that grace too.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Karl R » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi everyone,

This may or may not be a bit off topic.

I certainly don't speak for the E-AA Group. I speak for myself. And I'm certainly no expert.

When one comes to AA and claims one's seat in the room identifying as one who suffers from alcoholism; one's claim to that seat may not be denied by another member.

Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may
refuse none who wish to recover. Nor ought A.A. membership ever depend upon
money or conformity.

When one is compelled to identify other's recovery as somehow inferior or lacking in some way; when one feels compelled to identify other's alcoholic self diagnosis as wrong; one's responsibility should be to share one's own personal story of what it was like, what happened, and what it is like now in the hope that they may identify with what you have and be willing to adopt your way of life.

Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and
what we are like now

To do otherwise requires that we ignore the third tradition (long form).

I get it. I really do. Believe me. You're frustrated about AA's low success rates. You consider your "original strong coffee" way of recovery to be the only successful way. You feel threatened by a milder coffee brand of recovery. You know what worked for you. I get it. I got sober with only the big book in my hand. I've stayed sober with the message in the big book. But I'm not about to deny other people the opportunity to recover because their "brand" doesn't look similar to my "brand". After all.....I've been wrong before. And I'll be wrong again.

I'll continue to focus on my own experience, strength, and hope and leave their self diagnosis as being alcoholic to them. Or leave it to the private conversations that occur one on one between an alcoholic and his new man (so to speak).

After all....part of our history was the changing of the phrase "spiritual experience" to "spiritual awakening". And adding the word "suggestion" to How it Works. The original manuscript of "how it works" was quite different then what we have now. Our own pioneers recognized that this softening might be the key to getting the still suffering in the door and keeping them here long enough to recover. And we don't deny any, who wish to recover from their alcoholism (self identified) the chance to recover.

Enough from me.

kindest regards,
Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to Discussions