Dual diagnosis?

For recovery discussion

Re: Dual diagnosis?

Postby D'oh » Tue May 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Wow, Squarely, what can anyone say?

As close as I have ever been was a couple of years ago. Out of work, almost out of Family, Out of my mind, Shaking, Foggy, and lost. I knew there was an answer in AA, but was I worth saving?

I went to meetings nightly, but had to have a couple to keep from shaking apart at them. One night at an after meeting at the Coffee shop. An Old Timer (one that did a lot for me in the past, very simply (still not sure the words used) brought me back Faith in the 3rd Step. That I could turn Everything over to my Higher Power, Good and Bad. That what ever is waiting on my path, I will be given all the things I need to get through them.
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.
Get out to a meeting. Talk with others. Be Honest. A fellow I use to sponsor, said "If God called him on the phone, he would hang up" He speaks through the members.

One thing is apparent. Why are we Here, Sober? There must be a course for us. A part we are to play in the future. A purpose, more Will be revealed.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Wed May 10, 2017 8:15 am

I am of a different view to those who say things like - “Get out to a meeting...He speaks through the members.”

Recovered members of AA have traveled various paths to get and maintain their sobriety and contentment, and what is good for one may not suit another. Especially when we have a member suffering from a disease, which makes it hard at this time to face meetings.

As far as God speaking through the members, again that's just one persons experience, I personally get very little spiritual upliftment from members or meetings. Some relate to nature and feel spiritual in that setting, others maybe a Yoga class or just meditating alone at home. Dr. Bob is reported to have been a very spiritual person, he read a passage from the bible three times a day and then 'pondered' on it's meaning for a while. Nowhere in our literature have I seen anything about attending meetings to gain in spirituality, I may have missed it and stand to be corrected.

One thing I am pretty certain about however, those who instead of leaning on meetings and members for spiritual support, look inward instead, and are able to find inspiration from many sources, from books to you tube videos, the choice is wide and varied, so we can always find something which appeals to us.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby clouds » Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 am

Spiritual support can come from pretty much anywhere if I'm in good spiritual condition and applying the principles of the 12 Steps in all my affairs. It depends on the degree of my spiritual readiness to accept things as they are as to whether I experience situations and people as spiritual support or a nuisance.

If I feel I can be of help to anyone, I do my best, even someone who is "incapable of being honest" or is suffering from an illness or taking medications. Those variables aren't my business to advise on. My adherence to the AA way of life means I carry the message of AA, imo that means the 12 steps. I try to make those available to anyone who reaches out for them, or sometimes, when I see an opportunity to share. Its rare that I feel I can offer someone the 12 steps unless they have come to admit they need them though. I found from hard experience that if someone feels they can find another way to sobriety my suggestions fall on deaf ears.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Blue Moon » Wed May 10, 2017 9:42 am

BTW it's worth noting that, by definition, alcoholism itself is a dual-diagnosis. If someone has the allergy but no obsession, they're not (yet) alcohol-dependent. There's just no objective test to determine precisely to what extent the obsession has taken hold, so that's the individual's subjective view based on personal experience.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby kdub720 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Dang another powerful discussion about the brain.
Thanks for all the stories and insight. I had some recent testing done reflecting insuficiantcies. And get down about it sometimes when I struggle. But discussions like these where people share their struggles with their brain issues really helps. I also lucky to have a doctor say I am doing good. It is amazing what positive reinforcment will do. Thanks to all who responded this is a great post.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby D'oh » Fri May 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks Kdub.

First of All, I am not Any Kind of Doctor. Don't treat this as any kind of Treatment. Simply, what I have observed as I Trudge the Road

Alcoholism, being a Spiritual, Mental and Physical. Disease, Illness, or Ailment. I had an awakening early in my Sobriety.

My Grandma was diagnosed with Cancer, a couple of years before I saw the light. She taught me Courage and Strength, fighting it back to Health. I had never seen someone before this fight with such Spirit.

But my Illness progressed for a year and some after. My Uncle a Son of her's actually Sobered up a couple of months before me. So when I did sober up, She was just redignosed with Cancer. This time she didn't have the fight. I tired to show strength of my fight for her, (not near the same). I was in Detox 2 months later(Court Purpose and pouting about it) when she passed away.

I came back to town for the Funeral, 2 hour drive. Finding a House full of Drunks (including my newly sober Uncle) Next thing I found my self at a meeting. I gained an Open Mind at that Meeting. That if Grandma could fight for it, so could I. I did Bike back to Detox to finish my 2 week stay, with an Open Mind.

That is actually when I came to my 3rd Step, was at a Meeting one night in that town. That same meeting was Chaired by a Man who had recovered from Wet Brain. Opening my Mind, allowed me to see the Spiritual, and Mental part of my Illness, can be arrested.

So, all that I ask, is Give the Program an Honest Chance. Many things may be revealed.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Get out to a meeting. Talk with others. Be Honest. A fellow I use to sponsor, said "If God called him on the phone, he would hang up" He speaks through the members.

This is my experience as well. ES&H face to face is not to be missed! You won't WANT TO miss it!

In meetings, I try to be open-minded between the prayers. I don't Judge what others say. I take what I need & Trust I will get what I need when I need it and, with a breath of kindness, I blow the rest away.

It is not my experience that I can do this by myself by watching You-Tube at home alone. And why would I want to? Being with other alcoholic and intense work with other alcoholics (whether it is across the table or listening during a meeting) is the BRIGHT SPOT in my day - it is at the BB Working With Others, p.89 "Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives". See page 152 for "Yes we have a substitute and it is vastly more than that.... You are going to meet these new friends in your own community."

Get to a meeting online or in person. Take what you need. HP is waiting for you to hear with your heart.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Sat May 13, 2017 9:08 am

I know it's not done purposefully and is more of an oversight, but the subject of this thread is not about whether we should attend meetings or not. At the top of this page the subject changed with this advise - “Get out to a meeting. Talk with others. Be Honest. A fellow I use to sponsor, said "If God called him on the phone, he would hang up" He speaks through the members.” I then tried to say that this wasn’t absolutely necessary by saying this - “Recovered members of AA have traveled various paths to get and maintain their sobriety and contentment, and what is good for one may not suit another. Especially when we have a member suffering from a disease, which makes it hard at this time to face meetings.”

Can we not give some better hope to the member, who said on Tuesday that he can't make meetings at this time due to an illness, which is the topic of this discussion. Or to those at sea in the merchant marine, or just living in an isolated area or in a country with few or no meetings. The founders went out of their way to do that, even at a time with none of the computer communication we now have, putting stories like that of the Indian army officer who could not attend in the book. Bill himself spoke about this, including the quote I gave in another thread yesterday - "Though all alone out there, an AA from the Marshall Islands still claimed his group had three members, God, the book Alcoholics Anonymous, and me.”
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby D'oh » Sat May 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Yep, making Meetings can be tough. Yet we could always get to the Liquor Store before it closed, or 3 minutes after it opened (Don't want to look too desperate).

Not trying to be an A Hull. There are Online Meetings, Skipe, Phones, and hey Members, I recall bringing the Meeting to the people we haven't seen out for awhile.

"Willing to go to any lengths to get it."
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Noels » Sun May 14, 2017 6:17 am

I agree with Brock. If you are unable to make meetings use whatever other tool is available. This to me will also fall under ' do whatever it takes. ...'
Love and light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun May 14, 2017 11:35 am

We have found a solution a that we agree on!

Go to any length to get it!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions