For recovery discussion

Postby misslissy1982 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Hello,
My name is Melissa and I am an alcoholic. I was in detox and was released last Sunday 7/17. I have a wonderful partial day program I attend for dual dx. I have depression and anxiety. I am looking for people to connect with through chat and have been to AA before but never started the steps or got a sponsor. I am checking out a meeting tomorrow at 8:30am before my partial day therapy starts at 10. I do not have many friends or family that can relate to my behaviors so sometimes I feel very alone. I am 7 days sober today and detox is rough. Physically ill and mentally scatter brained. Wed the 13th is when I came to believe that I had lost control of my drinking and can not stop on my own and to stop I need AA and therapy in my life. I have relapsed several times when trying to detox on my own.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post :)
misslissy1982
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Newbie

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:30 am

Welcome to eAA. Glad you are here.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:46 am

AA before but never started the steps or got a sponsor.

Good realization. We have lot of people in the fellowship today like that. They just go to meetings and some go upto step 3 and balk. Hope you do something different this time. Find a compatible sponsor who would help you understand and help you work the 12 steps and go past the 3rd step. You go through the whole process to have a attitude shift. The shift doesn't happen by just doing steps 1 2 and 3.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby serenesweetie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:58 am

Welcome to the forum. I am new to this forum but have been in AA for a few 24hrs :D

In the "big book" of AA, Chapter 5, p. 58, it talks about "How It Works...."rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program....there are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest."

I know many people in recovery that have dual disgnoses, including myself. The key word above is honesty, it is important for me to be honest with myself and others. It is also important for me to have my other medical diagnosis' treated by a medical professional. I use the AA program to help me with alcoholism and by giving myself to this program I have learned a new way to live, free from alcohol and the insanity of the illness.

Check in your area and see if there are any meetings for those with dual diagnosis, some towns do-just a suggestion.
serenesweetie
Forums Newcomer

Postby Roberth » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 am

Hello Melissa, Welcome AA and E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. If you are like me this stuff didn’t a lot sense in the beginning but it did work. I have been an AA member for over 24 years and it has been one hell of a ride.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:38 am

Hi Melissa and welcome.

Congratulations on 7 days of sobriety!

AA has a pamphlet entitled "This is AA - An introduction to the AA recovery program" which describes AA's one day at a time program.

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-1_thisisaa1.pdf.

Here's an excerpt from the pamphlet on AA's 24 hour plan:

"For example, we take no pledges, we don’t say that we will “never” drink again. Instead, we try to follow what we in A.A. call the “24-hour plan.” We concentrate on keeping sober just the current twenty-four hours. We simply try to get through one day at a time without a drink. If we feel the urge for a drink, we neither yield nor resist. We merely put off taking that particular drink until tomorrow…."

I struggled with staying sober for almost two years after I first realized I had a drinking problem. What finally worked for me was discovering AA's 24 hour plan. Instead of "swearing off forever" and telling myself I was never going to take another drink, I told myself I'm not going to drink today. In addition to this, I began going to a lot of AA meetings, at least one a day, and listened to other members share how they stayed sober, how they worked the Steps, how they applied AA's principles to their daily lives to build a new, happy sober life for themselves.

Sounds like your partial day program is going to be a good support system. Adding AA meetings to your daily schedule will give you an even broader and stronger support network. Let us know how you liked your first AA meeting?

Keep coming back….
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby 4thDimension » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Welcome!
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby misslissy1982 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:36 am

I did not make it to the meeting as stated before but I am checking one out in Fountain Valley @ noon. A little nervous but know that it is a positive step in the right direction :D 10 days sober
misslissy1982
Forums Enthusiast

Postby misslissy1982 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:49 pm

I did make it to an AA meeting last night at 8pm and received the book and a newcomer packet. Everyone was very nice and two people from my outpatient therapy were there too. It was good. I almost didn't go but I'm glad I did.
misslissy1982
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:45 pm

misslissy1982 wrote:I did make it to an AA meeting last night at 8pm and received the book and a newcomer packet. Everyone was very nice and two people from my outpatient therapy were there too. It was good. I almost didn't go but I'm glad I did.

I'm glad you did, too, misslissy. Congrats on 11 days!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:14 am

Welcome to e-AA Missylissy. :)
Glad you shared with us about getting to the meeting. Hopefully you'll find more meetings and someone who will work with you on taking the steps. I found a couple of the women at my early meetings who I could feel comfortable with and began learning how to stay sober by using the steps to live by. So, keep getting there and getting to know the sober ladies and reading the book Alcoholics Anonymous.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions