Anxiety when asked to speak

For recovery discussion

Re: Anxiety when asked to speak

Postby misslissy1982 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 pm

I too have anxiety to speak and that has discouraged me from attending regular meetings, however; when I hear the stories of other alcoholics I can find so many things I can relate with. An AA group came to speak at my detox and for the first time I felt comfortable. It was a small group so I know that helped. Sometimes larger groups seem overwhelming. Your story is what keeps others to not feel alone and relate to you. By speaking you are helping so many people. You can do it!!!
misslissy1982
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:55 am

misslissy1982 wrote:I too have anxiety to speak and that has discouraged me from attending regular meetings, however; when I hear the stories of other alcoholics I can find so many things I can relate with. An AA group came to speak at my detox and for the first time I felt comfortable. It was a small group so I know that helped. Sometimes larger groups seem overwhelming. Your story is what keeps others to not feel alone and relate to you. By speaking you are helping so many people. You can do it!!!

Please do not allow your fear of speaking to discourage you from attending meetings. There is no rule in AA, written or verbal, that requires a member to share. If you are called on by the chairperson to share, you have every right to "pass". For most people, their fear of speaking goes away as a result of working the steps. So, I suggest you find someone to take you through the steps - someone who has been taken through the steps themselves. Listen in meetings until you find that person that you feel you would work well with and ask them if they have worked the steps as outlined in the Big Book. Then get started!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby serenesweetie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:46 am

I was once told that if one wants to get sober, you can say nothing wrong, but if they don't, you can't say anything right.

I still have anxiety when speaking. I used to beat myself up when I still couldn't share great stuff (my perception) in a meeting after 18 months of sobriety. I thought I was missing something, like not working my program perfectly, lol. I have realized and accepted that I simply have generalized anxiety, it is just me and my false ego/pride. It helps to remember that statement above, pray beforehand and realize that it is my story-just tell it. I don't have to make it fancy or create additives, it is my experience that will hopefully give others strength and hope.
serenesweetie
Forums Newcomer

Postby cdogg556 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:28 am

Everytime I am at a meeting and I sign the list there is always the anxiety of thinking I am gonna be called on to share, my mind starts thinking about what I should say if called on instead of actually listening to what the person sharing is actually saying! When I do get called on I have no idea what I am gonna say but usually it turns out good and I feel great afterwards! This weekend I have been asked by my sponsor to show up at our annual pot luck speaker meeting and I am gonna be on stage with him and a few others to lead the meeting, normally I'd be nervous, but for some reason I am not this time, I actually am looking forward to it, and he's suggesting I wear a tie also! I don't even own one! Ahaha! Oh well, it's about doing something different if you want something you have never had, right? Should be a good meeting, I'll keep you guys posted. :D
"If you want something different, do something you've never done"
cdogg556
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Sleddog75 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:52 am

I have a sponsee that suffers from anxiety in the same nature. I won't ever judge or poopoo what people say in meetings, they are yours, do what you wish.....but what really got my sponsee over the anxiety is that he really delved into the big book. Now when he speaks he speaks about the big book and the spiritual experiences he's had with the step process and nothing else. The only time we talk about what it was like, what happened, and what it's like now is from a podium or at a coffee shop...at meetings talk strictly from the big book or how the steps changed you and i gaurantee you it'll work. !
Sleddog75
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions