"Sober Since I Woke Up This Morning"...

For recovery discussion

"Sober Since I Woke Up This Morning"...

Postby leng12 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:24 am

Since I came into AA last year I've heard the above about six times. These people seem to have at least 25+ years sobriety. They also seem to have mastered the ODAAT concept and realise the past is gone.

Tell me more about these individuals? Are you one of them?

Thanks.
leng12
Forums Enthusiast

Re: "Sober Since I Woke Up This Morning"...

Postby Reborn » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am

I also hear alot of oldtimers say "The person who woke up earliest this morning has the most sobriety"...or "I just don't drink no matter what"...or "I just don't drink one day at a time". None of this is in the Big Book...none of this is what is promised if we work the steps thoroughly and honestly. What is promised is the Big Book is this...page 84-85...

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

Some folks like to quote the next line It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. The maintenance of my spiritual condition is steps 10, 11 and 12. If I continue, seek and practice these steps on a daily basis I maintain my sanity and I cease fighting anything or anyone-even alcohol.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:08 pm

When I see this question I answer right away 'Thank God no I am not one of them.' But then I see this quality which these people have apparently got -
….realise the past is gone.

Like other recovered alcoholics I know I don't live in the past, or think too much about it. But we have got that gift not from thinking we have been sober since we woke up, because we have been sober a lot longer than that. I believe people who say this sort of thing, probably also say they ask God to keep them sober each day when they wake up. That's fine for someone who hasn’t done the steps, but sends a crappy message to new folks, makes it look like we shall be on a slippery slope our whole lives, instead of the broad highway.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Feeya » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:36 pm

Brock wrote:

When I see this question I answer right away 'Thank God no I am not one of them.' But then I see this quality which these people have apparently got -
….realise the past is gone.

Like other recovered alcoholics I know I don't live in the past, or think too much about it. But we have got that gift not from thinking we have been sober since we woke up, because we have been sober a lot longer than that. I believe people who say this sort of thing, probably also say they ask God to keep them sober each day when they wake up. That's fine for someone who hasn’t done the steps, but sends a crappy message to new folks, makes it look like we shall be on a slippery slope our whole lives, instead of the broad highway.

Hi everyone,
My name is Feeya, I am an alcoholic!
I actually really enjoy listening to people I KNOW have been sober 20+ years and still say: TODAY I am sober.
It reminds me of the fact that I need to be focused on today! And it makes me feel 'not less than' them.
I know a few people who treat their recovery as a ODAAT thing even though they have worked the steps, have been in recovery longer than I have been alive and are great speakers! :)
Good twenty four hours!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:59 pm

leng12 wrote:Since I came into AA last year I've heard the above about six times. These people seem to have at least 25+ years sobriety. They also seem to have mastered the ODAAT concept and realise the past is gone.

Thanks.

Yup. I am definitely one of "them"!

I am also the person most awed and amazed that I have been able to stay sober, no matter what, since I signed on to AA's 24 hour plan some 38 plus years ago. And, there have been a lot of "what"'s along the way for me. Some of them came in clusters and were more like wtf's!!!, but thanks to ODATT and trust in a power much greater than myself, I have not found it necessary to pick up that first drink again. Works for me!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:12 pm

See there was a discussion leader (old timer) who opened up the meeting asking how many had a thought of drink that day. It was a nooner and just a couple of them raised their hands, he commented "Bunch of liars". My thinking is, because he has not had a psychic change and lost the "drink urge" he brands everybody to be on the same boat. Perhaps there are many in the fellowship do it one day at a time "postponing" the drink to the next day.Somedays the thought never occurs that I had a drinking problem. Mostly when I visit these forums or when I am in a meeting I look back and share what I did to get over the problem. Like Reborn posted earlier, some people look at me like i come from a different planet when I quote that. As long I don't pick up I have a fat chance. Many don't realize as we grow spiritually the thought doesn't even arises. So the only thing I focus on is, how am keeping my inner space clean.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi Leng :D I had to wrack my brain a bit to figure out what ODAAT is. I even looked in the post " words and their Acronyms" and couldn't find it there so I eventually I figured it means " One day at a time"?

They also seem to have mastered the ODAAT concept and realise the past is gone.

Please consider this for a moment and then decide whether the ODAAT members are correct or incorrect in their way of thinking and speaking :- The past is history. It can never be changed and it can never happen again. That's why its called the past. The future may never be. So what do we have left .... this moment. This moment may not even go any further to become anything more than .... this moment. And once this moment has happened it becomes past.

So when I wake up in the morning - literally - the past can not exist nor the future. So when I woke up this morning I literally woke up sober for the first time for the only thing that we have is the present - this moment. When I go to sleep tonight this morning's moment is already the past so once again all I have left is the particular moment that I am in. Which means that each second is a new moment that I am sober. Does that make me an ODAAT member? I have no idea :D

Love and light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:48 pm

leng12 wrote:Since I came into AA last year I've heard the above about six times. These people seem to have at least 25+ years sobriety. They also seem to have mastered the ODAAT concept and realise the past is gone.

Thanks.

I think it's a bit daft and it's kinda focusing on the 'wrong thing'. Cutting a bit of a long story short, drinking is just a symptom of our spiritual state; so yes, two people, one with two days sober and the other with 40 years sober may both wake up and be sober - that day - for the same amount of time.

But the difference is the newly sober person will probably be full of anxiety, feeling raw, and wanting both to drink and not drink; it wasn't much of a fun time for me.

Contrast that with the guy with 40 years worth of spiritual practise under their belt will feel a lot more peaceful, happy, and contented.

Being sober isn't just about not drinking; it's about the quality of our sobriety.

Being sober - just being sober - is the lowest bar of attainment in A.A..
Last edited by Tosh on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Noels wrote:The past is history. It can never be changed and it can never happen again. That's why its called the past.

I disagree with this - kind of - too. I'm in a grumpy mood; I've been up since 5.00 am. :lol: Sorry, Noels.

Okay, we can't change our past - agreed - but we can change our relationship to our past via Steps 4, 5, 8 and 9. The thing is, living in the present moment sounds all very nice and fluffy, but trying to do so when we've got 20 years of baggage in the form of guilt and resentments isn't going to be easy. In step 9 the word 'amend' is used. If we 'amend a document' we open it, make some changes, and then re-save it. Amend = change. Step 9 is the final part of the process in changing our relationship to the past; helping us to remain more present in today.

Apologies for being annoying.

I'm going to bed now.

:oops:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm sort of one of them. I have thirty plus years and am known to repeat my sponsor's words that if I don't know what I'm going to do to work my program today, then I'm not working my program today. So, I think a healthy dose of one day at a time is good.

On the other hand, I would never insult the intelligence of anyone by pretending that after thirty years, the quality of my program is the same as the person with one day, week etc. Indeed, if it was, I doubt if I, or anyone else would keep coming back.

I don't take these things too literally. Usually they are said by someone who is trying to make a point. I generally wish they'd just make the point directly instead of confusing folks with these oblique aphorisms.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:21 pm

"I think it's a bit daft and it's kinda focusing on the 'wrong thing'..."

Okay.

If the present, i.e. this day, this hour, this moment, is the "wrong thing" to focus on, what's the "right thing" to focus on? Yesterday? Tomorrow?

:wink:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm in a grumpy mood; I've been up since 5.00 am. :lol: Sorry, Noels

:lol: No need to apologise Tosh :D If this is how you are when you're grumpy id love for you to teach my hubby how to do happy :lol: Ive been running on 3 hours sleep per night the entire week so I kinda understand how you feel. No worries. :D

I see it a bit differently - ( :lol: I usually see things a bit different to 98% of the population :lol: ) but I will definitely ponder your response. That's how I learn. I try to see and work the step program into daily life and the way I see it at this moment (which view can change in the future) is in step 4 and 5 we clean out - to me - 4 and 5 are the cleansing steps. Now cleansing means (to me) that in step 4 I look at the stove - in every nook and cranny to see where the dirt is, in step 5 I admit that ive been a "vuilgat" (dirty bugger cause I haven't cleaned the stove for 3 months), step 6 and 7 i get the bucket, handy andy, hot water and a cloth, step 8 look at the dirt again and decide where i should start with the cleaning and whether to use a rough sponge or cloth and step 9 i clean the stove. Now once ive cleaned the stove the dirt that was there at that moment (even though it was the last 3 months dirt) can NEVER be there again. Its wiped and its clean. Step 10 i clean and wipe the stove on a daily basis and from thereon i continue to wipe and clean the stove every day as if i don't, dirt will gather again and the stove will relapse to the same condition that it was in step 4.

I would never insult the intelligence of anyone by pretending that after thirty years, the quality of my program is the same as the person with one day, week etc.

Agreed - once again, my stove is only 5 years old so the 30 year old stove that's been cleaned every single day for the past 30 years will most definitely look different to mine.

Jikkie example sorry :) but the only one I could come up with this fast at 1 in the morning :D

Sleepies tight and wake up fresh, alert, alive and rejuvenated in the morning. I'm also going to sloooowly start heading to my happy place :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:01 pm

I generally wish they'd just make the point directly instead of confusing folks with these oblique aphorisms.

I think theyre just trying to make a joke to let the newcomers have a laugh and feel more comfortable. I'm not gonna crucify anyone because they say something like that. Heck, since the day ive been sober I haven't even thought of that. Theres been too many other things in the shares I concentrated on to understand that I haven't had a moment to ponder those words.

Anyways, interesting subject. It made me think.
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Why does it matter how long we have? No I mean Really!

I am sober right now, and have been all day. The book also say "We do not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it."

For me that say's All of Life's Lessons, good and bad have got me to this point in time. What I do with the lessons "Now" matters, so I don't have remorse, regrets. or fears tomorrow.

I have seen both Old Timers and New Comers use the Lessons very wisely. But I have also seen both totally forget or ignore just living today, one day at a time. I myself, drank away almost 20 years of sobriety, forgetting that Sobriety is a Gift, dependant on what I do today. I don't own it.

Trudging this Road OF Happy Destiny, the Happy Destiny is the Journey, not what is at the end of the road.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:36 pm

I never say that.

I have 30 years of sobriety; and it means something to me.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to Discussions