Just keep coming, you will be contacted :)

For recovery discussion

Just keep coming, you will be contacted :)

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:42 pm

When I was first sober, I had a tough time trying to find a Higher Power in my life. When I used to ask my sponsor, “please, tell me, where can I find a Power Greater than myself?”…and my Sponsor use to answer me by sharing…. “Patsy, just keep coming, you will be contacted” 

One morning I was watching TV and I remember Goldie Hawn was being interviewed on TV at a time when her father had just died, and the interviewer asked her....."Goldie, did your father leave you with anything that you carry with you today?"........and Goldie said yes, he told me that if I ever get too big for my britches, then to go down and stand in front of the Ocean, that will certainly bring me back to my right size.".

I couldn’t believe that she said that!! I jumped off my couch, drove to Revere Beach, stood in front of that Ocean....and yup, that was a Power Greater than me for sure. I found my HP that day :)

So I used the ocean as my Higher Power when I first got sober.....and it worked :)
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Re: Just keep coming, you will be contacted :)

Postby Duke » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:26 pm

When I used to try to tell my first sponsor that I didn't think the God thing worked for me, he would tell me that unless I thought I was the alpha and omega, I must believe in something greater than me. All I had to do was quit fighting and find what I believed in, not what I didn't. Since then, all I've ever needed to do to connect with my higher power is remember I'm not it.

Thanks.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Feeya » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:23 am

Thank you guys for sharing.
I am struggling to find and connect with my HP and I am getting really frustrated.
Seeing that others went through the same thing certainly makes me realise that I need to be patient and that I need to trust.
I kind of keep asking myself HOW do I connect to my higher power, what does that even mean and what do I need to do, those thoughts keep me distracted from just following directions.
I have been told a few times to 'stop thinking' and just keep coming back, that's easier said then done for someone who wants to be perfect at everything they try!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:07 am

I am struggling to find and connect with my HP and I am getting really frustrated.

This is a miss-conception that we should connect with our HP right-away. Thats un-fortunately what I went through too. We just have to come to believe that there is something out there beyond our comprehension could help us. And then we start cleaning up. By cleaning up, the process helps us find the goodness and that is blocking us from this power (short comings). And as we start working on letting go those bad elements, we then start experiencing this power. We are then restored to sanity.

Bill W tries to convey it in the 2 paragraph on page 25. "There is a Solution" .

Did you notice, the problem is on page 24 and the solution on 25? We don't have to look any further.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:10 am

There are parts of our literature which support the topic, if we can accept that the program has worked for others, and we have ample evidence of this, then just a little faith that it will work for us is all we really need. More will be revealed, and we often find that we must do the steps in order to understand what this higher power is all about, this is the topic of today's daily reflection also, I will copy it with a little highlight added.
It was out of the depths of loneliness, depression and despair that I sought the help of A.A.  As I recovered and began to face the emptiness and ruin of my life, I began to open myself to the possibility of the healing that recovery offers through the A.A. program.  By coming to meetings, staying sober, and taking the Steps, I had the opportunity to listen with increasing attentiveness to the depths of my soul.  Daily I waited, in hope and gratitude, for that sure belief and steadfast love I had longed for in my life.  In this process, I met my God, as I understand Him.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Patsy© » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:18 am

It was out of the depths of loneliness, depression and despair that I sought the help of A.A. As I recovered and began to face the emptiness and ruin of my life, I began to open myself to the possibility of the healing that recovery offers through the A.A. program. By coming to meetings, staying sober, and taking the Steps, I had the opportunity to listen with increasing attentiveness to the depths of my soul. Daily I waited, in hope and gratitude, for that sure belief and steadfast love I had longed for in my life. In this process, I met my God, as I understand Him.

Thank you so much Brock for posting that :mrgreen:
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Stepchild » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:46 am

avaneesh912 wrote:

This is a miss-conception that we should connect with our HP right-away.

I think if we could....There wouldn't be much need for those steps.

This is summed up on page 45...

Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

Well, that's exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem.

If you have a sponsor that is taking you through the directions in the book...You'll be good to go.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:54 am

It's a funny thing....I have a couple friends in AA...Both alcoholic...And both catholic priests. And it took working those steps to solve their problem. Pretty amazing when you think about it.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Stepchild wrote:It's a funny thing....I have a couple friends in AA...Both alcoholic...And both catholic priests. And it took working those steps to solve their problem. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

I have friends like that too! They say it took AA & HP. This one fella told me that after taking the Steps his understanding of his HP changed and grew and was quite different than he had before the Steps!

It is odd to think that a "man of the cloth" would not already be fully aware and correct, right? He laughed when I said that . And now I laugh too. :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to Discussions