Alcoholism...A Disease....

For recovery discussion

Alcoholism...A Disease....

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 am

Hi all, I was just thinking back to when I first got sober when it was shared with me that Alcoholism is a Disease, and although I balked at first, I was so deeply grateful to have that information, because it was a wonderful opportunity to learn about the the disease of Alcoholism and then pass it on!

The disease of alcoholism, like other diseases.... has an onset, it has signs and symptoms, it is chronic and progressive, and if left untreated, it can be fatal. I can fully understand why the AMA termed "alcoholism" a Disease.

Before I came to AA, I thought that I had lost my mind and I would have to be locked up. I literally had lost the ability to choose to not drink. I had an obsession of the mind (a thought that overcomes all other thoughts), that insured that I would take the first drink. After I took the first drink, it would set up a physical compulsion for MORE, and I would continue to drink against my will until I was drunk, sick and out of control again, coupled with a spiritual loss of values. I had pretty good values that I was taught as a kid, and I kept moving those values down, all so that I could get a drink. I would lie, manipulate, blame, and do whatever I had to do to get out, and get a drink.

When I came to AA, I learned that I had an illness that was cunning, baffling, powerful and deadly.
I also learned that if I didn't pick up that first sucker drink, then I couldn't get drunk, and that it is my total responsibility to make the choice to take actions with what I would do with this obsession of the mind......... BEFORE I picked up that first drink.

I do not play games with my sobriety, I keep my sobriety in the number one priority slot, at all times. I do not fool around with so called non-alcoholic drinks like Near Beer, because I do not want to be Near Sober.

For myself, I drink water or soda water with a slice of lemon or lime in it or coffee, tea, gingerale, orange juice, or any other thousands of drinks that do not contain alcohol.

For this alkie, I could not predict with any certainty, on any given occasion, how much I would drink or what would happen to me after I took the first drink of alcohol. I couldn't take one drink of alcohol in safety.

Today I no longer have the obsession of the mind. And as long as I do not put one drop of alcohol into my body, then the physical compulsion can not be set off. Today, thank God, AA and the 12 Steps has given this alkie has the ability to choose to not drink, I can go where I want, when I want, with who I want, any time I want. This simple program of AA has given back to this alkie, the gift of choice and a life second to none. Thank you God, AA, and my Sponsor :)
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Re: Alcoholism...A Disease....

Postby kdub720 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:41 am

Great post. THe power of alcohol and the disease. The first drink is my downfall as well. I really liked you last line about the freedom we have when we are not under control of alcohol. My sobriety in the last year has opened my eyes to all that I have missed out on while drinking.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:27 am

My sobriety in the last year has opened my eyes to all that I have missed out on while drinking.

Thank you Kdub and remember...Our past, is the greatest asset that we have Today....

We will not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Bunchie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:57 am

It truly is a disease, and it perplexed me because the disease is still present when sober, the alcoholic personality traits are still everpresent. I have been sober 13 D system after 40 years of excessive binge drinking, I was in denial because I was not drinking everyday. I lied to myself and said I am not alcoholic because I don't drink everyday. I learned though the hard way every week I was going through withdrawalsMonday morning right through to Thursday , Friday, and I would start up all over again. The anxiety killed me and I don't feel it anymore. How stupid am I , 40 years of torture, and irritable disposition for a weekend of what I try was fun.
Bunchie
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:54 am

In my experience, alcohol is the toughest substance to recover from due to temptation.

Welcome to e-AA both summitbhc and Bunchie. I would like to say that once we do what is asked of us, the steps and living as we are asked in 10-12, we no longer notice the temptation, it's there but since it's not tempting anymore it might as well be bottles of coke or pepsi. It states very plainly in chapter six -

We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

This is the message newcomers need to hear and it is the truth, anyone who has done the steps and lived by this simple program can testify to it. Not just temptation gone but happy like hell as well, and best of luck to anyone seeking the answer, it's easier than it first appears on paper.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Feeya » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 am

This post really made me think. Thank you for sharing!

I was having a conversation earlier today in wich I said: I feel like I am fighting for my life right now!
And the other person just went: Yeah, alcoholism is a deadly disease!
And I never thought about it like that before, even though I have read the doctors opinion and even though I heard shares about being allergic to alcohol...
This thread fits right into that!

Good twenty four hours everyone,
Feeya
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:12 am

I can say that being alcoholic is the only medical issue I have even remotely tried to keep in check over my life time! Serious I am diabetic and I eat candy and my vision gets blurry and I know my sugar is about to explode :roll: and or my sugar crashes and I got into fits because of the shock. But the drink is one I have always worked hard to keep in check no matter what. I am a mess and I know it and if my legacy says one thing I hope it will say I was sober to the end.

I am going though a lot of stuff as of late and point is hell as I thought I knew it ain't come yet and pain is gonna get really bad and I am not sure how I'll react once it is upon me. I hope I am stubborn enough to put that face on and deal with it and not get high or drunk as to ease my pain.

A little off topic maybe and for me this is the norm... Being a garden variety drunk has given me gifts I never knew existed and yet I am still turning and burning to make a buck to pay my bills and I am pretty happy I am physically able to survive in the world of "normal folk"

cheers.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:32 am

The first drink is my downfall as well.

The alcoholic, though hits the blind spot and picks up that dreadful 1st drink repeatedly. Thats the peculiar mental twist the book illustrates with examples all through the book. As we work through the steps we are regain consciousness and then as the book says placed in a position of neutrality.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:56 am

If you really think about we are actually so blessed - being alcoholic.

Normal people have had 1 life. Alcoholics have had at least 3 lives. The first life up to where we picked up the first drink and it was still fun. The second life where it got smashingly bad and now ... a third life wherein we experience everything through completely new eyes. Some years ago when the word alcoholic was linked to me for the first time I became seriously annoyed and insulted but now .... I am blessed to be an alcoholic and I really don't care who knows it :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Reborn » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:33 am

Alcoholism is a disease of perception. What I absolutely know today is my warped view of the world and the people in it kept me sick for a very long time. Couple that with the obsession and the absolute inability to stop drinking once I started and you have a pretty damn miserable person. I always believed deep down that I was a good person...I always felt what I was doing was wrong and would stuff my conscience down and drown it with more alcohol. Those moments of clarity were absolute hell for me...I know now that I never wanted to look at me. In AA I found something I had been looking for all my life...MYSELF. The following from Bill's Story resonates deep with me because it is precisly what has happened...page 8...

Trembling, I stepped from the hospital a broken man. Fear sobered me for a bit. Then came the insidious insanity of that first drink, and on Armistice Day 1934, I was off again. Everyone became resigned to the certainty that I would have to be shut up somewhere, or would stumble along to a miserable end. How dark it is before the dawn! In reality that was the beginning of my last debauch. I was soon to be catapulted into what I like to call the fourth dimension of existence. I was to know happiness, peace, and usefulness, in a way of life that is incredibly more wonderful as time passes.

Like Patsy said thank God for AA and my sponsor!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Noels » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:16 am

I am going though a lot of stuff as of late and point is hell as I thought I knew it ain't come yet and pain is gonna get really bad and I am not sure how I'll react once it is upon me.

Hi Posi, apologies to all - I don't mean to hijack the thread. I thought everything was ok - tests came back negative? You know we are here for you and you will be strong enough to handle whatever is placed on your path. All people have crosses to bear - some smaller or bigger than others. This is because we are only given what we can handle. Be strong and know that your Creator is with you every step of the way.

Lots of Love
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Dan2000 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi all.

I've been told the disease of alcoholism is a 3 fold disease.

Which starts with 1. A Spiritual Loss of Values...meaning... self-centeredness...I first started using MY own will to try to change things the way I thought that they should be....self will run riot.
After failing in trying to make the world conform to MY will, I had so many problems that, my life had become unmanageable, this is when I picked up my first drink and my drinking progressed very rapidly, starting with just drinking on Friday nights, then Friday and Saturday and before I knew it, I was drinking only on days that ended in "Y".

This developed into...2. A Mental Obsession.....meaning... I drank every night, when I awoke to go to work, still drunk most days, I would say to myself, I'm not drinking today, I need to give myself and my body a break. Then after lunch, when I was feeling a little better, I would start to get (the mental obsession) I would say to myself, well, maybe I'll just have one beer at the bar tonight, then go home. As the day progressed, so did my mental obsession, when it was quitting time my mental obsession, kicked into high gear and all I thought about was drinking. (this kind of thinking was a daily event for me)

Then came 3. The physical Compulsion...meaning... as soon as I picked up that first drink, I was off and running and I wouldn't stop unless I ran out of money and/or my bar tab peaked, I got shut off, or they closed the place.

There are many ways to describe the disease of alcohol, this is how I usually describe it, when asked.

I belong to one group and after the chairperson qualifies, he randomly asks someone in the group to describe the disease of alcohol, it's good for a newcomer to hear as well as everybody else.

I believe it to be a 2 part disease, as the spiritual loss of values, would come before I ever picked up, however it was taught to me as a 3 fold disease, I welcome any feedback on this.
Last edited by Dan2000 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember in all we do, it's Progress,not perfection.
Dan2000
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Stepchild » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:26 pm

This makes sense to me...

Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically.
Pg 64
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Dan2000 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Stepchild wrote:This makes sense to me...

Resentment is the "number one" offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically.
Pg 64

Hi Stepchild...To resent a person, one must feel or exhibit annoyance...and your annoyed because he/she is not doing something that YOU want them to do. You created the problem...self will run riot....therefore You created the resentment...self-centeredness.

The way it's suggested we overcome the spiritual malady is by doing his will ...Thy will be done...because Your will got you into trouble in the first place.

Spiritual Malady... equals... Your Will Be Done............Overcome the Spiritual Malady...equals...Thy Will Be Done

Note: Just using the wording YOU and YOURS as examples.
Dan2000
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Dan2000 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:15 pm

Noels wrote:If you really think about we are actually so blessed - being alcoholic.

Normal people have had 1 life. Alcoholics have had at least 3 lives. The first life up to where we picked up the first drink and it was still fun. The second life where it got smashingly bad and now ... a third life wherein we experience everything through completely new eyes. Some years ago when the word alcoholic was linked to me for the first time I became seriously annoyed and insulted but now .... I am blessed to be an alcoholic and I really don't care who knows it :D

Hi Noels... Yes, I'm very grateful that I actually am an alcoholic...very blessed.
Dan2000
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Discussions