Self Centeredness

For recovery discussion

Re: Self Centeredness

Postby Spirit Flower » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:45 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:Mike, always wondered where you are. Good to have you back.

+1
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby D'oh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:20 pm

The only way we are going to overcome or better deal with our spiritual loss of values (ourselves) is to work with others,...

Not looking for an argument that was a good post, but it does say 'having had a spiritual awaking as the result of these steps' (1-11), we then look to carry the message, (or work with others), so we got fit spiritually before working with others, not as a result of. And to say that the only way to overcome a spiritual loss of values is by working with others, puts spiritual development in too tight a compartment, it is one way without doubt, but not the only way.

It also says that That we should ask God in our Morning Meditation, for the right course. That our on relationship with Him must be right to carry this message. It is stated as the "Great Fact" for us.

So I believe that it is Gods message, I am just the channel. I cannot transmit something I haven't got.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Mike O » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:44 am

Spirit Flower wrote:
avaneesh912 wrote:Mike, always wondered where you are. Good to have you back.

+1

Thanks, both.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Welcome back Mike O.!!
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 pm

I did a double take when I saw "Mike O"! Good to hear from you!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks, folks :)
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi Mike, I thought you were dead or something. Glad you're back. :D
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:55 am

Thanks, Tosh. Nah, I'm still alive and occasionally kicking.
:lol:
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:53 am

Good write.
It is always crazy thinking about the 12 steps and how it is not just a journey up the steps, it is a constant path through life. Even when you are thinking about it we make daily steps all over the stair case. You all write so well and bring in great material.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Dan2000 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:20 am

ezdzit247 wrote:Good topic, Dan.

One of the simplest and easiest to understand books I've ever found on the subject of "selfishness" is a book called "The Art of Selfishness" by David Seabury. It was first published in 1937 and reprinted repeatedly until the '80's. I recently found some used copies in good condition at reasonable prices through Amazon and Thrift Books. It's also listed in the catalog of books found in Dr. Bob's library here:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17314&

This book really helped me to understand the difference between pathological selfishness and healthy selfishness and how to recognize the former kind rearing its ugly head in my attitude and/or behavior. Seabury stresses the critical importance of avoiding any kind of "ego satisfaction" and his book walks the reader through different very common scenarios of "ego satisfactions" destroying relationships.

Up until the latter part of the 20th century, it was widely accepted that humans were born without any instincts like natural fears. The theory was that instincts in humans got lost in some kind of evolutionary trade-off and became part of the obsolete "junk" that we "modern" humans carry around in our DNA. That theory has been largely debunked by current research on human development verifying that human babies are born with certain instincts like suckling, etc and certain natural fears like fear of loud noises, fear of falling, etc. Since the list keeps growing with every new research project, I'm not convinced that all fears are bad or a sign of a lack of faith as some appear to be useful survival tools.

Hi EZ...I bought That book by D.Seabury, I'll be reading it at the beach this summer, Thanks for the info...Dan
Remember in all we do, it's Progress,not perfection.
Dan2000
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Dan2000 wrote:
Hi EZ...I bought That book by D.Seabury, I'll be reading it at the beach this summer, Thanks for the info...Dan

Hi Dan. Good to hear from you.

Hope you enjoy the book!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Previous

Return to Discussions