Seniors

For recovery discussion

Seniors

Postby Roberth » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:59 am

Seniors are the fastest growing group of people in AA. Not only are we staying sober and getting older but the elderly are living longer in retirement and discovering they have problems with alcohol at a later age.
I got a call from my central Office and took a guy to his first AA meeting when he was 82. I was able to take him to several meetings that I knew are elder statesmen went to. He was able to hook with someone closer to his age that he could relate to better. He still would stop by to ask me questions how on how I did things which I was able to share my experience with him.
He passed away with 4 years of the sobriety he so loved. The funny part about my friend Hal was when I asked him why he wanted to stop he told me it could be interfering with his sex life……got to love them.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Re: Seniors

Postby Feeya » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:23 pm

What a beautiful story!
Thank you for sharing that with us!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Roberth wrote:Seniors are the fastest growing group of people in AA. Not only are we staying sober and getting older but the elderly are living longer in retirement and discovering they have problems with alcohol at a later age.
I got a call from my central Office and took a guy to his first AA meeting when he was 82. I was able to take him to several meetings that I knew are elder statesmen went to. He was able to hook with someone closer to his age that he could relate to better. He still would stop by to ask me questions how on how I did things which I was able to share my experience with him.
He passed away with 4 years of the sobriety he so loved. The funny part about my friend Hal was when I asked him why he wanted to stop he told me it could be interfering with his sex life……got to love them.

Love it..... :lol:

Thanks!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:52 am

Sad but humble story about what our goals are in the life of sobriety.

I met this man in AA down in Florida 20 odd years ago and he had been one of those Wall Street shake down artist and very successful and he told me of the events and how his drinking was so "supportive" due to the element and business dealings with robbing the system. He got sober and left Wall Street and was able to retire as years passed on. But his contributions to AA were powerful and I'd visit the area every so often and when I came back on one of my trips I found out he passed away. I was very happy to have known him and that he was sober until the very end.

Hope is what I think of.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby tyg » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:30 am

So wonderful no one is too old or too young to get sober and have a whole new life and make a difference in others :D
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Return to Discussions