I'm really nervous

For recovery discussion

Re: I'm really nervous

Postby Patsy© » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:36 pm

That is a pamphlet from AA. The Pamphlet is there for guidance purposes.

You will notice that not one of those physicians in AA was asked to speak from the podium about prescribed medications, they were asked to share IN THIS PAMPHLET, their Medical expertise.

Or are you under the impression that ALL Doctors who are AA members should be invited to share from the podium about what they prescribe in their medical practice? Or to tell other AA members what they need to take or not take?

And you will notice that the shares about drugs IN THE PAMPHLET were from those who came to AA, stayed away from a drink but turned to drugs as a substitute or they used drugs with other AA members who were using drugs, but claiming sobriety or went back to drinking.

Some A.A. members share their experiences with drugs: Alcoholics Anonymous is a program for alcoholics who seek freedom from alcohol. It is not a program aimed at drug addiction. However, some A.A. members have misused or abused drugs, often as a substitute for alcohol, in such a manner as to threaten the achievement and maintenance of sobriety. This has caused many A.A. members to be concerned with the misuse of drugs.

The above is why this Pamphlet was written, its not about AA members sharing their drug story from the podium. Its written in a PAMPHLET...for guidance. Not to make anyone think or believe that Alcoholics Anonymous has changed its Primary Purpose or Singleness of Purpose or that AA members share about drugs or any other outside issue from the podium.

The AA 12 Traditions are self explanatory, when they are read, worked, applied in the AA Group and passed on...
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby tyg » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:29 am

In keeping with the 5th Tradition, what ES&H can be shared that will be helpful to the alcoholic who suffers?

The Fifth Tradition
Each group has but one primary purpose
...to carry its message to the alcoholic
who still suffers

There are many alcoholics who have not lost very much from their drinking "yet." I try to give a good picture what alcoholism is. How I could not stay sober because of my mind (the obsession), and I can not drink safely because of my body (the allergy), which make me absolutely powerless over alcohol. I tell about my spiritual awakening(S) and how the 12 Steps transform my life. I like to share the differences between the fellowship (meetings) and the 12 Steps and how both are important to my sobriety.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby Larryp713 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:16 am

Lali wrote:I have a lot of respect for you and your opinions, Larry, and I enjoy reading your posts. But as the former "speaker seeker" for my home group for over 2 years, I can say that this approach would not have worked for my group. Many of the speakers I obtained did have drugs in their stories, but they would only mention this and then move on to the rest of their story, not dwelling on the subject of drugs. I chose speakers carefully, keeping in mind the Traditions.

I appreciate that, Lali. Thanks for the kind words and I enjoy reading your contributions. I understand what you're saying, and I did not mean to imply somebody should focus on their drug addictions when they tell their story. If they do not believe they are alcoholic, just drug addict, AA is not the place to share their story. But I do think it should be ok for them to mention other addictions if for no other reason than to talk about all the ways their lives are unmanageable without a spiritual solution. I support the traditions, but I have heard from people who say they feel like they can't be honest about their situation because it includes drugs. I don't think that is in keeping with the traditions either. Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:03 am

Totally agree Larry. I spoke to an alcoholic /addict last night and she said her last relapse started with alcohol. Now that she knows that she stays away from alcohol and haven't relapsed since.
There was another lady who has multiple addictions - alcohol, gambling and drugs. Her last relapse was because she went gambling, won some money and thought it was OK to celebrate with a joint. A week later she realised where she was. Where should she go to? Gambling anonymous, NA or AA?
We who have only alcohol addiction should be grateful for having been spared multiple addiction and rather concentrate on working the steps even deeper to ensure our own spiritual growth and compassion for those who have suffered even more than we have.
Love and light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:06 pm

These are multiple 12 Step Recovery Programs, all using the same 12 Steps and 12 Traditions that Alcoholics Anonymous was generous enough to give them ALL permission to use.

The issue is identification, that is why each one of the following 12 step Recovery Programs have their own PRIMARY PURPOSE and SINGLENESS OF PURPOSE.

I wonder about the AA members who have no idea WHY there is a Primary Purpose and a Singleness of Purpose! Well, just for the heck of it, lets say that every single one of the members below where to come and share at an AA meeting. There are 54, yes count them.. Fifty Four, 12 Step Recovery Programs listed below and that is only a partial list of the 300 or more that exist!

So lets see, what kind of message would be passed on if we began introducing ourselves like the following:

Hi my name is ****** and I am a cocaine-snorting, glue-sniffing, gambling, pill-popping, marijuana-smoking, hashy-toking, cigarette smoking, over-eating, under-sexed, over sexed, wine-drinking, over-spending, meth sniffing, child abusing, heroin shooting, co-dependent, self-mutilating alcoholic. And then to go on and share about them!

What would happen to the Identification that is absolutely vital in being able to help a newcomer to overcome DENIAL and know he/she is in the RIGHT place?

To keep it simple, if anyone is an alcoholic AND has any other kinds of addictions or issues WELCOME. If those other addictions or issues need to be shared then call your sponsor and if they need to be addressed, then please give them the long list of 12 Step Programs of Recovery below, because here in the Halls of Alcoholics Anonymous, WE have A Primary Purpose, to stay sober and help other ALCOHOLICS to achieve Sobriety and A Singleness of Purpose, ALCOHOL!

“Singleness of purpose” is essential! The reason for such exaggerated focus is to overcome denial,... the denial associated with alcoholism is cunning, baffling, powerful, insidious and deadly!

See, its not about YOU, its about the AA Groups very survival and its about the newcomer who NEEDS to IDENTIFY because his/her very life depends on whether they can IDENTIFY or not.

AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), ACOA (Adult Children of Alcoholics), and Al-Anon/Alateen (for friends and family members of alcoholics) ( NA (Narcotics Anonymous), AAA (All Addictions Anonymous), CA (Cocaine Anonymous), CDA (Chemically Dependent Anonymous), CMA (Crystal Meth Anonymous), MA (Marijuana Anonymous), Co-Anon (for friends and family of addicts), Nar-Anon (for friends and family members of addicts),and NicA (Nicotine Anonymous) GA (Gamblers Anonymous), Gam-Anon/Gam-A-Teen (for friends and families of problem gamblers), and OLGA (On-Line Gamers Anonymous)

SAA (Sex Addicts Anonymous), COSA (Codependents of Sex Addicts), SLAA (Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous), COSLAA (CoSex and Love Addicts Anonymous), SA (Sexaholics Anonymous), S-Anon (spouses and family members of sexaholics), SCA (Sexual Compulsives Anonymous), SWA (Sex Workers Anonymous), and SIS (Sex Industry Survivors).

Dep-Anon (Depressed Anonymous), DDA (Dual Diagnosis Anonymous), DRA (Dual Recovery Anonymous), NAIL (Neurotics Anonymous), OCA (Obsessive Compulsive Anonymous), SA (Schizophrenics Anonymous), SMA (Self-Mutilators Anonymous), SPA (Social Phobics Anonymous), WA (Workaholics Anonymous), CLA (Clutterers Anonymous), DA (Debtors Anonymous), and SA (Spenders Anonymous).
ABA (Anorexics and Bulimics Anonymous), CEA (Compulsive Eaters Anonymous), EAA (Eating Addictions Anonymous), EDA (Eating Disorders Anonymous), FA (Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous), FAA (Food Addicts Anonymous), GSA (GreySheeters Anonymous), and OA (Overeaters Anonymous).

CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous), EA (Emotions Anonymous), EHA (Emotional Health Anonymous), FA (Families Anonymous), RCA (Recovering Couples Anonymous), and SIA (Survivors of Incest Anonymous).
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Larryp713 wrote:..... I support the traditions, but I have heard from people who say they feel like they can't be honest about their situation because it includes drugs. I don't think that is in keeping with the traditions either. Larry

Good post. I agree on all points.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Well, if you can get 75% of all AA groups world wide to vote with you to change the Tradition, then you have something. lol
Until then, AA has 12 Traditions that ought to be adhered to, because as AA history has shown, severe growing pains which invariably follow any radical departure from AA Tradition can be absolutely relied upon to bring an erring group back into line or eliminate the AA group, from the inside!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:03 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:
Larryp713 wrote:..... I support the traditions, but I have heard from people who say they feel like they can't be honest about their situation because it includes drugs. I don't think that is in keeping with the traditions either. Larry

Good post. I agree on all points.

I second this. Honesty, Open-mindedness and Willingness, you cannot carry YOUR message in parts and pieces to please others.

The Illness is of Physical, Mental, and Spiritual nature. Drinking was only a symptom of that illness.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Karl R » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:05 pm

The literature is always helpful.

"Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and
what we are like now. I"

and take a read of Dr. Paul's story on acceptance. See how much he shares on his various obsessive behaviors. p. 406 in the big book.

regards,
Karl
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Patsy© wrote:Well, if you can get 75% of all AA groups world wide to vote with you to change the Tradition, then you have something. lol
Until then, AA has 12 Traditions that ought to be adhered to, because as AA history has shown, severe growing pains which invariably follow any radical departure from AA Tradition can be absolutely relied upon to bring an erring group back into line or eliminate the AA group, from the inside!

Change which Tradition? When the 3rd Tradition clearly states the ONLY Requirements for Membership.

But I don't want to Hi Jack Tiffany's thread. Her talk will go Great from what I have seen here. Her HP won't put anything in her path that isn't for a reason, and crossed with his/hers help.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Noels » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi my name is ****** and I am a cocaine-snorting, glue-sniffing, gambling, pill-popping, marijuana-smoking, hashy-toking, cigarette smoking, over-eating, under-sexed, over sexed, wine-drinking, over-spending, meth sniffing, child abusing, heroin shooting, co-dependent, self-mutilating alcoholic. And then to go on and share about them!

What would happen to the Identification that is absolutely vital in being able to help a newcomer to overcome DENIAL and know he/she is in the RIGHT place?

Id say that about covers everything so there shouldn't be a problem with identification ? Everyone at that meeting will definitely identify with one, two or more of the addictions mentioned :D

Love and Light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:25 pm

But I don't want to Hi Jack Tiffany's thread. Her talk will go Great from what I have seen here. Her HP won't put anything in her path that isn't for a reason, and crossed with his/hers help.

D'oh

Totally agreed.

Love and Light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:13 am

Karl R wrote:The literature is always helpful.

"Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and
what we are like now. I"

and take a read of Dr. Paul's story on acceptance. See how much he shares on his various obsessive behaviors. p. 406 in the big book.

regards,
Karl

Dr. Paul's story was sometimes used to try to force AA Groups into allowing talks about drugs at AA group meetings. On page 449 in 3rd edition Big Book, Paul's story was entitled "Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict." ......and for the 4th edition Big Book it was voted by 3/4 of the AA groups world wide by an informed Group Conscience..... to change the name of Paul's story to "Acceptance was the Answer"

Notice the AA Tradition wasn't changed....

Most AA's have other issues with mind altering substances, but they adhere to the AA Traditions, because not to, can mean the death of another AA group and AA members........and again, this is Alcoholics Anonymous where WE owe gratitude and respect to AA for our very lives!
Last edited by Patsy© on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:16 am

Id say that about covers everything so there shouldn't be a problem with identification ? Everyone at that meeting will definitely identify with one, two or more of the addictions mentioned

Please read, study and find out why those AA Traditions came into being, the information is vital to know and understand. I realize that you are a newcomer, but as my sponsor shared with me at 3 months sober... its never too early to know and understand how to keep an AA group alive and thriving!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:18 am

Noels wrote:But I don't want to Hi Jack Tiffany's thread. Her talk will go Great from what I have seen here. Her HP won't put anything in her path that isn't for a reason, and crossed with his/hers help.

D'oh

Totally agreed.

Love and Light
Noels xxx

ditto
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions