Kombuca synergy drinks contain alcohol

For recovery discussion

Kombuca synergy drinks contain alcohol

Postby RobC » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:31 pm

My friend called all worried, with almost a year sober, his wife brought home a kombuca tea drink and he had some. Discovering after it contains some natural alcohol. Supposed to be .5 or less so sold as non alcoholic. However there are articles online saying some pulled off shelves had 3.5% alcohol. Apparently it continues fermentation in the bottle. Big problem for anyone with the allergy of craving. He was pissed. Just wanted to warn you all. I told him this doesn't reset his sobriety date. Not to worry if you're not craving a drink. Don't even have to be 21 to buy. But for me it's not worth the risk .
Last edited by RobC on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Kombuca synergy drinks contain alcohol

Postby Noels » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks Rob. Jip many newly sober alcoholics get caught like this - me included a few years ago so thank you very much for posting this warning. I agree with you. Your friend need not worry himself. We actually had a topic discussion on this the other night because there's alcohol in many things which we don't always suspect or know. For instance, I found out that its best to avoid trifle as many people make it with alcohol also apparently some vinegars ? The conclusion was that if a person accidentally consumed alcohol via food or something like this post then don't worry about it as we then go back to " intention ". If the person specifically goes out to purchase or eat that entire trifle or cake specifically to get to the alcohol inside of it well, then the intention to get to alcohol was there but if you accidentally had a slice of cake and find out afterwards there was alcohol in don't stress.

This also reminds me of 2 instances where I very nearly had alcohol but my Higher Power interfered.

The first time, I was about a month sober and hubby and I went to a day spa for a treat. Everything was great but at the end hubby went to fetch the car and I was standing in reception paying for some stuff I purchased. Focused on my card and the tiller etc. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a staff member put something down and I automatically reach out and took it. AT THAT MOMENT I heard a male voice in my brain/mind saying " You cant drink that". Well ... I stopped dead in my tracks. I looked at what I was holding in my hand and it was a tot glass full of amarula. I forgot that here in RSA the day spa's serve amarula and a chocolate right at the end.

The second time was end December last year. I was around 3 months sober. My in-laws went to Switzerland for their holiday and brought us home Swiss chocolate. I absolutely looooooove chocolate. One morning I was home alone and grabbed one of the Swiss chocolates, broke off a block and stuffed it into my mouth. It hardly touched my pallet and I spat it out. Something told me to check if there was alcohol in that chocolate and low and behold ..... it was a chocolate with champagne filling. Needless to say, I separated the normal chocolates from the chocolates with alcohol filling immediately.

This showed me that I need not be afraid. As long as I want to stay sober my Higher Power will ensure I have no accidents.

Thanks for the post.
Love and Light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:58 am

Low alcohol beer often comes up in the Forums, but hasn't recently so thanks for posting! Here are some of the other ones... Personally, I am scared to death by drinking and energy drinks mixed together, they have killed people - I can't remember the names of them, but a google search would work.
Forum: For the Newcomer
Re: Only sometimes..
... completely...and then after I got sober someone came along with "near beer" and wine coolers and such I had never tried. By that time, however, recovery had ...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18211&p=126705&hilit=near+beer#p126705

Forum: Registered Discussion
Re: Alcohol Free drinks
It is my understanding that "near beer", having .05% alcohol, contains enough alcohol to cause relapse. It sets off the phenomenon ...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18082&p=125659&hilit=near+beer#p125659

I am reminded that ANY ALCOHOL WHATEVER BRINGS ME THE PHENOMENA OF CRAVING... and that phenomena is what sets me apart from normal drinkers. The risk is death - quick or slow.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby RobC » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I wasn't sure if I screwed up by posting this or not. After I posted it said I was banned permanently for spam. Wasn't sure if I did something wrong. All I know is i can't drink alcohol in any form or the phenomenon of craving could be activated. I am allergic to alcohol. If I had a peanut allergy I would not eat something that had a low trace of peanuts. Why risk it? I almost bought the same beverage my friend had. At a health food store no less. Luckily I saw the label and noticed it had alcohol. My sobriety is a gift, and it would be quite the bummer to unintentionally drink alcohol when I thought I was drinking something healthy.
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Postby kdub720 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:21 am

Great post. This happened to me. I ran out of coffee creamer and was using vanilla extract for flavor. I had no Idea that it had alcohol in it until my girlfriend said "what are you doing?" as she supports my sobriety, "that has alcohol in it" I had no idea. It was a little bump, yet we discussed how intention of consumption is different than accidental consumption. Needless to say I went to the store bought creamer, we dumped out the vanilla extract we had and made sure to buy some containing no alcohol. It was difficult to find. But great post, as this became a situation for me. Thanks again.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions