HYPER CONSERVATIVE OLD TIMERS - PART 2

For recovery discussion

Re: HYPER CONSERVATIVE OLD TIMERS - PART 2

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:05 pm

PaigeB wrote:HEAR HEAR Roberth!

Yes!!! Definitely. HEAR HEAR Roberth,
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Ok, well thanks for pointing out that I have resentments over this. I will ask God to help me show them the same Tolerance, Pity, and Patience that I would Cheerfully grant to a sick friend. When a person offended we said to ourselves "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy Will, (not Mine) be done."
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:12 am

I got a really stupid question? How many times does it take to kick a already dead horse?

I hear a lot of opinions and I agree on most as it is most of our feelings that if we forget the purpose, last drink, and other addiction we lose and have to start over if we are even allowed that chance as we can die from out addiction. meetings saved my sorry hide and I haven't forgot my last drink because it keeps it real and I have enough real to deal with.

ES&H is subjective because we all have to endure these events at our own time and place in life and this is not a cookie cutter deal. I am conservative with regards to rules, policies, and order because everyone of us at some point needs to be herded in and reminded why we are in the halls for this day......

We are supposed to live and let live and not become door mats at the same time. Life issues come up and they may be intrical to that person because we have this ability to inflate things bigger than normally necessary.

I was told I stand a good chance of getting cancer because of tests and similar detections recently. Had I been newly sober with less than 5 years I would of drank and or over inflated one word instead of looking at "chance" because chance is just that. Now I look at this as more preparation of what I need to look at because I have other responsibilities and if by "chance' cancer is in the cards I need to be prepared as it is not all about me. I dunno if that is ES&H or just growth over the years and learning which battles matter and which one's don't.

Our purpose is that we focus on sobriety and recovery and if I am in an open meeting I can speak on things as they relate to my disease, however again if in a closed meeting then it is strictly about alcohol and case closed. Maybe too conservative, and this is why we have meetings held in such manners.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 am

Thank you Positrac, absolutely 100% and not too conservative at all. We all follow the rules at some point but the nice thing about the AA I know is that I was allowed to be in the rooms for a while to find it out on my own. As I became more comfortable with being there the members gently guided me on how its done, why, etc. and now I follow the prescribed format automatically. If I was" told off" right at the beginning though who knows what may have happened.
Have an aswesome weekend.
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:09 am

positrac wrote:Our purpose is that we focus on sobriety and recovery and if I am in an open meeting I can speak on things as they relate to my disease, however again if in a closed meeting then it is strictly about alcohol and case closed. Maybe too conservative, and this is why we have meetings held in such manners.

Not conservative at all Positrac, I find what you posted, is simply following the AA Traditions. Thanks for sharing that.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:44 am

Thanks Positrac,

and sorry to hear of your troubles (other than Alcohol). I have never experienced how One word, could change my life that way ever, but how I look at other extreme matters that are handed to me in day to day life is as "If God is truly holding the Reins of my life, then there is a reason for what is happening. I may not always understand the "Why" at the time, but someday more might be disclosed if I do what I have to do for today." God be with you.

Just as the Addict who has found their way to an AA meeting. 2 things that I see is that, "They are one of God's children asking for a way out of their hell" and that My HP, has placed them in my life at an AA meeting I have attended. From there I try to do what I believe my HP would have me do. Not Bill W. Not Dr. Bob, both of who I have never met, or the HC. Old Timer.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:38 am

...if I am in an open meeting I can speak on things as they relate to my disease, however again if in a closed meeting then it is strictly about alcohol and case closed. Maybe too conservative, and this is why we have meetings held in such manners.

In some areas we don't have the luxury of having various types of meetings to attend, on the entire Island I live on there is not one closed meeting, and members have reported similar situations in various smaller communities across the US and elsewhere, please don't say start one because we have tried. So we must put up with the odd person who wants to speak about their day, thankfully we have a great majority who have lost the selfish attitude which causes people to do that, so the meetings are generally about the solution.
From there I try to do what I believe my HP would have me do.

Every one of us does the same thing, it's just we might interpret the HP's wishes differently. For me it's attempt to help the one without embarrassing them, but keep in mind that our common welfare comes first, (Tradition one).

Some posters here keep reverting to two things, when others show that it's possible and often done to show compassion to the drug addict, while informing them that they may be better off at their own fellowship, they bring up the very isolated instance that formed the original post on the first installment. One sentence in a long post about drug addicts attending meetings, the part about some old timers walking out, it's as if they think "oh boy I am losing this argument, let me remind everyone that old timers walked out."

The second 'tactic' that they revert to is holier than thou.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Noels » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:12 am

[
The second 'tactic' that they revert to is holier than thou.

Huh :shock: what did I miss :shock: ... looking around. .. looking around. .... :?: where's it holy? :?: :idea: :D cause wherever it is I wanna be there :idea: :P :wink: :) :D :mrgreen:
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby whipping post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:00 am

Last night was a lesson in judgement.

When I arrived to set up a woman was already there. I assumed she worked there but she followed me in and asked if she was in the right place. She was an addict and was court ordered. Great, I thought, another CO addict.

The usual first step meeting went down and it was great. Lot's of talk of powerlessness, obsession, fear, hope, change, etc... The whole time I wonder if all of these people giving great first step shares know that she's not even an alkie.

She was the last to share. She had stopped the drugs but replaced them with alcohol. Had struggled with it on and off for years. Really struggled through the holiday weekend with not picking up a drink. She had always denied her alcoholism until that meeting which her parole officer suggested she go to.

It was a great personal lesson on judgement. I need one of those every once in a while to keep me on track.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:50 am

whipping post wrote:Last night was a lesson in judgement.

When I arrived to set up a woman was already there. I assumed she worked there but she followed me in and asked if she was in the right place. She was an addict and was court ordered. Great, I thought, another CO addict.

The usual first step meeting went down and it was great. Lot's of talk of powerlessness, obsession, fear, hope, change, etc... The whole time I wonder if all of these people giving great first step shares know that she's not even an alkie.

She was the last to share. She had stopped the drugs but replaced them with alcohol. Had struggled with it on and off for years. Really struggled through the holiday weekend with not picking up a drink. She had always denied her alcoholism until that meeting which her parole officer suggested she go to.

It was a great personal lesson on judgement. I need one of those every once in a while to keep me on track.

Thank you. I need lessons like that to keep me on track too.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:11 am

Below is a section of a speech from then GSO chief adviser Bob Pearson, in it we see exactly how he thinks we should deal with what he calls the “druggies” coming to our meetings, and with the exception of a couple of posters, it is just the way the majority of us have been saying we should -

No, it will not be because of treatment centers or professionals in the field or non-Conference-approved literature, or young people or the dually-addicted or even the druggies trying to come to our closed meetings. If we stick close to our Traditions and our Concepts and our Warranties–and if we keep an open mind and an open heart–we can deal with these and any other problems that we have or ever will have.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Reborn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:28 am

D'oh wrote:Just as the Addict who has found their way to an AA meeting. 2 things that I see is that, "They are one of God's children asking for a way out of their hell" and that My HP, has placed them in my life at an AA meeting I have attended. From there I try to do what I believe my HP would have me do. Not Bill W. Not Dr. Bob, both of who I have never met, or the HC. Old Timer.

I agree...we should help them find a meeting where they will be around like minded people...a fellowship they can identify with. I believe it is irresponsible for an alcoholic to think he/she can help an addict find sobriety. I know most of you will say that we suffer from the same malady...but to take on that burden can rob another alcoholic of our help and perhaps put the addict's sobriety in jeopardy. I'm all for helping others whether they are addicts, over eaters or tweekers...if I stick to AA's singleness of purpose it not only helps AA as a whole but helps to find each person who suffers (from whatever malady) find the recovery they truly need.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:11 am

whipping post wrote:Last night was a lesson in judgement.
... She had stopped the drugs but replaced them with alcohol... She had always denied her alcoholism until that meeting which her parole officer suggested she go to...

I have seen this happen many times in working with the "dually addicted". Many know that my home group, a closed women's mtg, is near a women's treatment center and most of the young women there are there "for drugs". Drugs cause them to get in trouble faster and get attention faster than alcohol it seems. I think they are taught that alcohol is a drug. So they call themselves "addicts" ~ but really folks, what do they know?

I know this... if I could tell you hard liquor was my problem and that I could just drink a few beers at home "all was well" ... AND I know that I spent a few months seeking Alanon help and came away from that experience with the insane thought that if that other drunk was my problem then I could probably drink with no problem ~ Hurray!

Had I not had some AA under my belt, I might have drank! I know the insanity & the obsession. No normal person or treatment center can have the effect that we get one-on-one or in a big bunch of personal experience at an AA meeting. By the time they move onto other lodgings and other meetings or types of meetings, at least they have a pretty good idea of what it means to have alcoholism. They don't teach that anywhere but AA, as far as my experience goes!

If it saves the life of one person, I am glad to be part of it! And we do keep to the tradition that only alcohol is discussed in the meeting. We are clear about it when we read the Opening Statement for a Closed meeting and we are clear one-on-one after the meeting if necessary.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:52 pm

I find it absolutely arrogant of you to read my post and somehow come up with the idea that I am being judgemental.

I posted earlier. Its the job of the ego to side with what it can identify with and get active and draw some more egoic minds. Interestingly the original author is nowhere to be seen and but this topic as spilled over to 10th page already. Best to become the observer.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:04 pm

I don't think I can solve anyone's problem, but I know God can if I stay out of His way and don't try to help Him my way... :wink:
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions