Back to Basics Meeting Format

For recovery discussion

Back to Basics Meeting Format

Postby Wiganman » Mon May 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi all, I attend a Back to Basics 12 Step Study meeting each week and have done so for the last two years. For those who have never attended such a meeting the format is where two members of the group read from a script and go through the theory and practical application of all 12 steps over a four week period.

This meeting has been vital to my sobriety due to the fact it is very strongly recovery focused as oposed to "general share" meetings where discussion can get a little off track.

I would be inerested in hearing anyone elses experience of a Back to Basics meeting.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Back to Basics Meeting Format

Postby PaigeB » Tue May 31, 2016 12:06 am

Haven't heard of one... F2F We have a women's Step Study, we read a couple paragraphs and then do round table discussion.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Tue May 31, 2016 2:48 am

We don't have that here. So every 4 weeks you start over and go thru the process again?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:37 am

I've heard of meetings where they go through the Joe and Charlie tapes ("The Big Book Comes Alive") while reading along to a transcript, and discuss.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Wiganman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:51 am

Yes we go through the same scripts every four weeks:

Week 1 - Step 1
Week 2 - Steps 2-5
Week 3 - Steps 6-9
Weeks 4 - Steps 10-12

We go through the script and then spend about 30 minutes sharing on what we have read - any new comers can also ask questions if there is anything they don't understand.

I believe the format works it is a little different to what we typically have in my area but the focussed recovery format works for me.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:06 am

I'm curious. What is this "script"? Does it come from conference approved literature? I have heard of Back to Basics, though only by spending lots of time online reading things AA related. I would think this would be something you would only do once. Or perhaps twice, since so much material is squeezed into a small amount of time.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Wiganman wrote:Yes we go through the same scripts every four weeks:

Week 1 - Step 1
Week 2 - Steps 2-5
Week 3 - Steps 6-9
Weeks 4 - Steps 10-12

We go through the script and then spend about 30 minutes sharing on what we have read - any new comers can also ask questions if there is anything they don't understand.

I believe the format works it is a little different to what we typically have in my area but the focussed recovery format works for me.

Hi Wiganman,

Here we call this process "An AWOL" = A Way Of Life. Have you ever heard it called that in your area? We do not have or use scripts, we use the actual Steps from the Twelve and Twelve. The AWOL is usually suggested for Newcomers in order to get the basics of the AA Program and begin the 12 Steps. There are a lot of Sponsors chosen from there :) I haven't done an AWOL in years, but I remember them well.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Wiganman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi Lali, the script is not official AA literature but it is made up of direct quotes from the Big Book. A lot of AA groups used this fromat in the 1950's and claimed to get very positive results.

I like this format because it is recovery focused we only ever discuss the steps. Newcomers may ask questions and members who have done the steps can share their positive experiences of the steps,.

in our area we have a lot of meetings which are "open share". You rarely see a positive, recovery based meeting emminating from them.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm curious. Is the Back to Basic meeting format derived from Wally P.'s book
"Back to Basics" ?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions