Your Morning Routine...

For recovery discussion

Re: Your Morning Routine...

Postby Noels » Sun May 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Good morning :D wow you guys are energetic! Today I'm up at 7. Didn't hit the snooze button once so it's a good start. My exercise was to stumble/fall to the kitchen to get my first cuppa. Now I'm going through the posts then I'll walk :) back to the room, take a moment on my knees to say step 3 prayer, zip through the bath and hopefully in the office by 9. :D that'll be a good start in my attempt to break a bad habit :D have an awesome day and chat soon.
Mwah xxx
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 am

Nice topic, routine is important. I myself try to wake up at 630 or 7 every day, no matter what time I go to bed. I find that this helps me create that routine, and gives me the desire to want to go to bed earlier. Not sleeping in even on the weekends helps keep me more energized everyday. I like what yall said about creating that 24 hour plan while going to bed.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby shaunagus » Tue May 24, 2016 5:17 am

I ordered that 'morning miracle' last night after reading through this thread it looks interesting. Especially as my daily routine is non existent at the moment which I know means I'm not really practicing steps 10,11.

I haven't posted on here for ages, over a year? 18 months? Whereas I was on here every day in my first six months of recovery. I've just suggested to a sponsee that he make use of this forum so it's only fitting I do the same myself. I'm actually hoping that having a sponsee is going to help with my daily routine cos I can't really ask him to do stuff without doing it myself as well :-)

So - sorry I've not been around much. Good to see so many people still here. Hopefully I'll post more often again once the 'morning miracle' has worked its magic!

Cheers
Shaun
“You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop." Rumi.
shaunagus
Forums Contributor

Postby Tosh » Tue May 24, 2016 5:48 am

Welcome back, Shaun; though I do see you in the flesh most weeks. :lol:

My morning routine was great till the weekend arrived and I relapsed into my old feckless ways; kind of anyway. But this morning I got back on the Morning Miracle wagon and was up at 5.00 am; I did 20 minutes of spiritual reading, then 20 minutes of meditation, and then I ran three miles.

I was out - on time - for work at 7.30 am feeling like superman; I've had a great day so far.

Progress, not perfection; so I won't worry too much about the 'lost weekend' and Monday too.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Deskdad » Tue May 24, 2016 10:35 am

Great stuff - thank you. Waking up broke and scared of what you might have done the night before resonates me. Always scared to check my wallet and my phone! I dread getting out of the bed in the morning - i I wait until the very last minute and run out the door - really sets a terrible pace for the day, I imagine. I will try and implement some of these routines in my day.
--------------------------------------------
"When I came to recovery, I realized that being a child for 43 years nearly killed me."
Deskdad
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Hello DeskDad,
These are suggested as part of eleventh step. The people who put together this program knew that the people coming fresh out of drinking will not be able to be focussed so they put together process to rest the voice in the head in the form of inventory and sharing with another and figuring out what they need to work on. We could then contemplate in our morning meditation how to go about overcoming those character defects. Hope this helps!

Good luck with your recovery.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Good topic. Thanks, Tosh

If I wake up before 7 am, I generally roll over and go back to sleep until whenever, which is usually close to 8 or 9 am. If I wake up closer to 7 than 6 am, I stay up and start my morning exercise which is walking to the back door to say "Hello, Sun", then to the coffee pot to fix a cup of coffee and then to my desk. I've noticed there are lots of perks and bennies to living long enough to become a semi-retired senior citizen and me deciding when to get up is one of my favorites… :wink: I get lots of exercise later in the day but it's not part of my morning routine.

My morning routine has changed a little over the last decade. I've been working on adding to a collection of prayers, mantras, affirmations, poems, prose, articles, quotes, etc, etc.--things from science, philosophy, religion, even stuff some of you have posted on the forums, etc that have resonated with me. I keep them labeled and filed on my lap top and spend about 30 minutes to an hour randomly browsing through different files while I sip my morning coffee. Routinely reviewing the texts in these files, especially in the morning, seems to really help to keep me focused on the "big picture" and stay out of my own way regardless of whatever else happens in my little corner of the universe today.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri May 27, 2016 8:17 am

Deskdad wrote:Great stuff - thank you. Waking up broke and scared of what you might have done the night before resonates me. Always scared to check my wallet and my phone! I dread getting out of the bed in the morning - i I wait until the very last minute and run out the door - really sets a terrible pace for the day, I imagine. I will try and implement some of these routines in my day.

I found just stopping drinking great - to begin with - no wet bads or hangovers so severe I felt that I should be in hospital helped with the way I felt in the morning; physically anyway. However, anxiety was a problem for me and that often kept me in my bed; sober or not.

But by just doing the things that A.A. suggested I do, you know, go to meetings, find a homegroup, do a little service, find a sponsor, WORK THE STEPS (sorry about the emphasis :lol: ) are the things I did to recover from my alcoholism.

I'm sober - the drinking problem has been removed (thank you A.A. for your 12 Step program) - and now I'm just 'playing' about with my daily program; looking for progress, adding a little polish.

So far I'm finding my morning routine great till about 2.00 pm and then I start getting really tired. I hoping that as my fitness levels increase, I'll get more energy in the afternoons. I also think that in the morning - because I'm feeling like Superman - that I set too many tasks for myself to achieve (at work) and I end up getting burnt out, not finishing them, and despite accomplishing a lot, I still have the bitter taste of failure in my mouth.

Progress, not perfection, I know I know. But what I know doesn't often translate into what I feel. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri May 27, 2016 11:18 am

Tosh - maybe some research on circadian rhythms would help with that afternoon slump. I used to get tired around 4pm (when I was up at 7a) and I found that a protein boost or a power nap got me through the rest of the day. Most times without caffeine.
This came from the National Sleep Foundation:
Sleep Drive and Your Body Clock
"The circadian rhythm dips and rises at different times of the day, so adults' strongest sleep drive generally occurs between 2:00-4:00 am and in the afternoon between 1:00-3:00 pm"
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Fri May 27, 2016 6:35 pm

I agree with Paige on the protein thing. We take a combination of a product called Lift off from Herbalife and vita thion which can be bought at clicks or any chemist, and we zoom through the day. Worth a try.
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Fri May 27, 2016 6:48 pm

Good morning beautiful people :D it's 3.37 by us and my belly button birthday :D I'm as sick as can be with flu, woke up to a burst pipe by the geyser and a passage full of water but am so grateful to be sober on this day. I embrace everything that this day hold with love and gratitude as I know that I can handle it in sobriety and that I am not alone and never need to be alone again.
A great big thank you to each and every one of you very special people. I am blessed and grateful to be sharing my journey with you.
Love and light
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri May 27, 2016 11:57 pm

Morning, Noels, and happy belly button birthday to you. I hope the burst pipe and your flu (is it man-flu? That's the worst.) gets sorted quickly.

I was up at 7.30 am (it's a Saturday); I've done a little spiritual reading (A Course in Miracles), which I've never really lasted long with previously, a little meditation, an attempt at journalling (Mrs Tosh got up and broke my Zen :twisted: ), a ten minute yoga DVD (she's very pretty), and now I'm off to a Parkrun to marshal and take some photos of the runners.

I'm winning the morning so far; Hal Elrod reckons if you win the morning, you win the day.

Wishing everyone a good day from Chepstow.

Tosh
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sat May 28, 2016 11:01 am

Happy birthday Noels! :roll: :P :shock: :( :o :) :D :D :wink: :mrgreen: 8) :lol: :)

Damn the flu though - hopefully it will pass quickly! And Tosh is right, man-flu is worse and comes with a feverish self pity, so I am glad you probably don't have that!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Sat May 28, 2016 4:12 pm

PaigeB wrote: man-flu is worse and comes with a feverish self pity,

It's a real scientific fact that flu can hit some men harder; it's something to do with testosterone weakening the immune system. Honest; google it.

And no - it just wasn't male scientists who did the study. :lol:
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby trumpets » Sat May 28, 2016 5:56 pm

if you are anything like me then you would know that we resist everything. recently, i had a inner fight with settling into a routine. after 2 years in sober houses and being heavily involved; like my entire life, i got exactly what i wanted and now have that great partner, the house, another child, marriage etc...but the price was less of aa. anyol'way, it's been over a year in society and at the job i've always wanted and there i sat, sick to the bone of the routine. hoooollllllddddd up - there got to be more to this normal people stuff than this. i'm a freakin mouse on a wheel.
so i invited an old timer to my house to talk this over and he (of course) said something simple that put me in check. Bob said "you idiot, your routine is an achievement". The clouds parted that day.

1 cup of coffee
30 min of sitting in silence
another 30 min of relaxing nature sounds on the bus
clock in.
trumpets
Forums Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions