Your Morning Routine...

For recovery discussion

Your Morning Routine...

Postby Tosh » Thu May 19, 2016 3:11 pm

From the Big Book:

From Into Action
On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives.

Further suggestions for a morning routine are to be found from page 86 onwards.

It's coming up to my bed time here in the UK, and I've sorted out what I'm doing tomorrow - now. I don't like waking up - not knowing what I've got to do; it feels unfocussed and I'm more than likely going to hit the snooze and procrastinate about getting out of bed. When I know what I'm doing, the alarm goes off, and I'm up and at 'em.

I find that if I work out what I want to get done before I leave for work, the day before, I don't only have a more productive morning, I have a better day. So I do the above bit from Into Action before I go to bed.

I also include morning exercise, after my prayer and meditation; normally a run, or some yoga; and I normally have an clear idea of the stuff that I want to get done at work. I don't only set myself realistic targets, I make sure I actually do them. :lol:

Anyway, I've been putting a lot of focus on my morning routine for a few days now and it's working out really well; it's inspired by Hal Elrod's The Morning Miracle, though I've made a few changes - adapted for a 12 Step program - which I've also adapted to suit my psychology (for example; as in I like to know what I'm doing before I go to bed, rather than work it out when I wake up).

And I'm really looking forward to my alarm going off and getting stuck in. That's a psychic change right there; I still remember the days when I'd regain consciousness in a wet bed, anxious, worried about what I'd done the night before and worrying about money; shaking. I used to hate mornings and now they're my favourite part of the day. Wow.

But I'd love to hear about your morning routine in case I could borrow some of your 'best practise' ideas. What sets you up to Carpe the 'heck' out this Diem?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Your Morning Routine...

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:49 am

Mine is about fifteen minutes of Binaural Beats meditation these days as soon the morning rituals are over. Then visiting these forums and see if I can offer anything useful. Then about 45 minutes to an hour walk with the dog. And I am chanting through the walk. I am suppose to hear the chants but most of the time the mind is grinding some issue but I do get some answers for those voice in the head. Pretty much thats my schedule. Oh got to add, my daughter always comes up with some excuse to be dropped at the school. Grudgingly I agree to do so.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 am

I also plan my day and usually have a list by my phone/alarm. I DO need to go to bed earlier, but I still stay up past my self imposed bedtime. As it is now, it is a victory to be up before noon and I have been managing to do that at least! It does give me time to stretch and do my meditations. I am fond of short prayers, "God save me from being angry" and "Bless this mess" and "Please let me be of service". Then I check my AA emails, many of which are service oriented. And, of course come to this Forum. It is my egotistical failing that I do not do my Daily Reflections first - even though I usually think I should get that base of serenity & solution before I attempt to be a Forum Coordinator! My gig is up in September, and I am placing a lot of expectations in that... not a good way to start the day.

I want to add to my mornings. I want to count my blessings and pray for the opportunity to make amends. In general, I could do with some more formal prayer & meditation.

BUT! I could not resist coming to see you this morning! That is a blessing. :D

My dogs wish I was not sedentary and this summer I plan to teach them to walk nicely beside my motorchair - but if they get away from me... I need to practice in the driveway and I think I will look silly. I have not started. Well, I guess I still have some fears. :wink:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri May 20, 2016 11:39 am

3:35 am, alarm goes off. First thing when I get downstairs is check to see if someone put up Daily Reflection. If not, then do it. Otherwise, back away from the computer as quick as possible.
45-50 mins of spiritual reading and meditation
50 or so minutes of morning workout
shower, dress, grab lunch, get to work by 6:30 am

I love these mornings. Right now, I am reading one of Paul Brunton's notebooks. I also read A Course in Miracles. Sometimes re-read the Big Book or 12x12. Sometimes some other spiritual book like Tolle or something. Spiritual reading is something I learned in the convent. Google "lectio divina" and you'll find information.
While I am exercising, I usually mull over something I read. Usually, some answer to what I face that day comes out.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Fri May 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:Spiritual reading is something I learned in the convent. Google "lectio divina" and you'll find information.

That's interesting; read; meditate; pray; contemplate, but not to try and work it out at an intellectual level. There is an area of philosophy called Epistemology which is the study of how we know things and not all knowledge is intellectual (though in the west, that's where we tend to place our emphasis).

I think I'll have a try of that. I have started a course in miracles, but never got very far with it (I've been flaky in the past; less flaky now though), so may have another go. Actually, that's flaky; I WILL have another go, starting tomorrow morning.

Not at 3.35 am though; that's mental; I'm not even sure that time exists. I thought I was being a little soldier getting up at 6.00am. What are you like at 3.00 pm?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri May 20, 2016 12:23 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:Oh got to add, my daughter always comes up with some excuse to be dropped at the school. Grudgingly I agree to do so.

Mine's at university. Funnily enough, reading your post, I realised that I actually miss being her taxi driver. It was the only time we got to really talk in a one-on-one kinda way.

Teenagers eh!? :lol:
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Fri May 20, 2016 12:29 pm

PaigeB wrote:I also plan my day and usually have a list by my phone/alarm. I DO need to go to bed earlier, but I still stay up past my self imposed bedtime. As it is now, it is a victory to be up before noon and I have been managing to do that at least!

Have a google for Hal Elrond; he has some talks on youtube and I notice that he often uses recovery terms (like rock bottom), but maybe that's just seeped into US culture.

I find him quite inspiring and it's him that has made me look at my own morning routine. He talks about stuff I really relate to also; like we believe we're a 'certain way' and can't change, like I used to believe I was a 'night owl' and not a 'morning person'. I've had a psychic change over that; I love mornings now. He reckons if we win the morning, we win the day. So far I'm finding he's been spot on.
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Fri May 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi Tosh, glad to see youre back :D was pretty quiet for a while without you :D
This is a very interesting topic as Ive been wanting to change my routine. I go to bed very late. Mostly between 12 and 2 in the morning then I'm awake again between 3 and 4 and when I fall asleep after that nobody and nothing can get me up before 7.30 - 8. I don't hear the alarm on my cell phone and if hubby wakes me up with coffee I apparently sit up, talk to him and everything but the minute he leaves the room I'm fast asleep again. Then I moan at him because he didn't wake me up :lol: I don't remember any of this but the cold coffee on my bedside table tells its own story. :D
So I bought myself one of those old alarm clocks. Really loud and goes trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The first day or two I didn't hear it. Thereafter I started hearing it and got up. Then we had the power failure for a week so hubby " made it his own " and I was back to square one. Waking up late. So today I bought him his OWN alarm clock and I'm taking my pink one back :lol:
I'm striving to be up by 6, calmly have my coffee for half an hour, meditate for half an hour and then jump through the bath and be in the office between 8.30 and 9 latest. I haven't been meditating in the morning because I really loose time. In the past Ive meditated for hours without realizing it and meditating with my chakra cleaning CDs I end up being so relaxed that I fall asleep by the time we reach third eye. I should possibly start with the candle meditation again. Short and present. Not wander too far at this stage :D
I'll keep you updated on this as getting up early has been something I have always wanted to do, tried and tried and never quite managed for longer than 2 weeks. So achieving this will be a biggie for me :D
Thanks Tosh for bringing this subject to the table. I'm reading everyone's ideas and suggestions enthusiastically so I can take what could possibly work for me.
Spirit Flower - I graciously bow to you my friend. Many times when you get up Ive just gotten in bed. I can only dream at the moment of getting up refreshed, energised and ready for the day at 3.35! I shall keep trying though.
Having said that its almost 10 at night here and if I want to try being up early tomorrow best I get that last cuppa going :D
Nite nite, sweet dreams and chat again tomorrow
Mwah xxx
Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri May 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Thank you for sharing Noels. I am not alone. I often go to bed at 3am! I strive for 2am! I don't even drink coffee after 4pm! Usually I do have busy evenings with AA Meetings and coming home to a 7 year old who is trying NOT to go to bed! But I could easily go to bed at Midnight. Getting up at 8am would be a dream! (Aint I funny!)

I am going to look into Hal Elrod books - but I always have sound off on computer because we live in a small house and I hate headphones so no you-tube.

Glad you guys are here to help me live a serene & sober life.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Sat May 21, 2016 1:50 am

Heya Paige :D my golly. You've just shown me that I'm not alone as well :D do you know how guilty and bad ive felt because I get into the office around 9.30-10 yet hubby and son is up at and out by 5.45 and my sister is here by 8. I must say though, they also manage to get to bed anytime from 9 in the evening. Perhaps personal circumstances also plays a roll - I take the 5 dogs out at night, give them their pills and late night snack after that, put on their jerseys, check all the doors that its locked, switch lights off, re-load the washing machine, etc, etc, make another " last cuppa" so by the time I get to removing make-up its already 11 - 11.30. Hehehehehe maybe I should "switch rolls " with them for a week or two and see if getting to bed early is easier when I can also just " up and go " :lol: Problem is they forget to do the small things which is so important so the ol lady (lil maltese) wont get her heart pill, they'll all get colds cause their jerseys wont be put on, they don't walk out with the dogs so the inside will be a real " doghouse" every morning and we'll probably sleep with doors wide open :lol:
Anyways, gotta run. Full day ahead. Weekends are just too short for everything I need to do. :D We're busy upgrading the client consultation room and I'm specifically looking for little things that gives a more Asian feel. The room before was completely African feel so off to the flea markets and China Malls we go.
Before I go - your life have not been the easiest. I didn't and still don't know a quarter of it. Just little things that I pick up from your shares and posts and I said to you right in the beginning that you are an absolute inspiration to me. I feel that more than ever today. Thank you for having had all those experiences and thank you for sharing your wisdom and knowledge obtained from those experiences with us. You are indeed and awesome lady and I give you permission to get up anytime you want to. You are perfect as you are and I am blessed to have you in my life.
Love you.
Mwah xxx
Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sat May 21, 2016 2:03 am

Noels wrote:Heya Paige :D my golly. You've just shown me that I'm not alone as well :D

Paige isn't as bad as she makes out. Every morning she does 10 sit-ups when the alarm goes off, which may not sound a lot, but there's only so many times you can hit the snooze button.

(I'm joking; sorry, Paige)

I don't hit the snooze button myself; not anymore; Elrond reckons hitting it is like refusing to start the day; straight away we've got the brakes on. So when my alarm goes off, I get up.

Mrs Tosh is asking me if 'anything is wrong' because she's used to me hitting the snooze button; multiple times on occasion.

I've been a bit feckless this morning (it's Saturday) - so far - but I intend to change that right now and exercise and win back my day.

Actually, I'll have a coffee first. :lol:
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sat May 21, 2016 10:15 am

Every morning she does 10 sit-ups when the alarm goes off, which may not sound a lot, but there's only so many times you can hit the snooze button.

I did 3 of those sit ups today~ hit snooze 3 times even though I thought to myself "I'll have enough sleep" like the Morning Miracle (book review) said AND I even tested that theory the 2nd time I hit snooze - actually FELT awake, but the blankie was comfy! Still up before noon though!

And Noels! Like me, You have all the brain waves to perfectly guess all the things that won't happen right if we are NOT there late!! I imagine like that too. My guess is that things are not going to be so unbelievably bad as we think, then we will still snatch our old roles back with a self righteous vengeance anyway! Sigh.

I am trying to have an open mind and not be too hard on myself. Pretty sad that the Library didn't have Morning Miracle... I'll have to go online for it!
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Lali » Sat May 21, 2016 6:45 pm

Tosh wrote:...Epistemology

I thought that was what some women had to have sometimes when they are in the throes of childbirth. Sorry, lame joke. I'm full of em.

P.S. I learned to move the alarm clock across the room so I have to get up to turn that annoying thing off. That way I (usually) don't go back to bed.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sat May 21, 2016 11:58 pm

Lali wrote:P.S. I learned to move the alarm clock across the room so I have to get up to turn that annoying thing off. That way I (usually) don't go back to bed.

That's a top tip.

This was this morning (Sunday morning) in the Tosh household:

Scooby, that's him on the left, had me up at 6.00 am to walk him and to give him his breakfast. And then he disappears and this is where I found him; on my side of the bed.

I guess that's God's way of telling me that I ought to get on with my morning routine and go for a run. :?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Sun May 22, 2016 7:22 am

Mine is: wake up, while still in bed I say step three and step 7 prayers, and do On Awakening. Feet hit the floor, drink a glass of water, etc. back to my room for meditation & pranayama yoga. Get dressed, grab breakfast out of the fridge, sit at the table and do readings from selected books I have put together in a notebook of some things I have found helpful that follow and reinforce the 12 steps while I eat breakfast. 12 step meeting is next and then usually outdoors for some fresh air and excersize, even if just a short walk. The day rolls out before me and I try to enjoy it. :)
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Next

Return to Discussions