Morning Reflection

For recovery discussion

Morning Reflection

Postby newday45 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:39 am

Good Morning All,

A beautiful sunny, brisk morning up here in New England, and I'm proud to say that I'm sober to enjoy it! A few weeks back, I would have been struggling to wake up from my stupor, and gathering what energy I had left to overcome another day of torment! Today, I sit peacefully with my coffee, and continue my work on step 4 in my workbook. As I work through this step, I find myself coming to terms with the insanity of my alcoholic thinking. The realization is precisely that my mind has been conditioned, since childhood, in a way that made me feel shame, embarrassment, and insecurity for just about everything I do (when drinking & sober). These issues with insecurity are what led me to drink. The problem is, the more I turned to alcohol as a solution (medicine), the more shame and insecurity developed as a result of my acting out. As I sit here today, I cannot believe that I was unable to see this cycle taking place, but now have a new-found understanding of the phrase "But for the grace of God." But for God's grace that I found a faintest sliver of light amidst the internal darkness of my drinking. The desperateness of my situation has allowed a full commitment of the step and I say truthfully that the light is growing, that the monkey is slowly getting of my back.

In those moments when I sense my mind working in its old way, I turn back to step one and think about that darkness... that space without God, and affirm that I never want to be back in that place again, and will live the steps faithfully as a means to preventing it. While my old way of thinking would demand an answer and solution immediately, today I am comfortable with the fact that change is constant and always will be. I am who I am now, and cannot fall victim to the illusion that there is an end to any of this; there is only an infinite number of beginnings if we are willing take the first step!
newday45
Forums Newcomer

Re: Morning Reflection

Postby Brock » Sun May 15, 2016 5:31 am

Lovely, that post is full of hope and encouragement for newer members, and would put a smile on every old timers face.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Reborn » Sun May 15, 2016 10:06 am

I agree with Brock...great post...put a smile on my face for sure :D
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun May 15, 2016 10:17 am

I think I reaffirmed Steps 1, 2 & 3 on my way to the coffee pot every morning for even a year after I completed Steps 4 & 5! I thought about it until it became part of my working brain. Now I am comfortable using the 3rd Step Prayer in the mornings or something shorter if necessary "Help me." Not in a desperate way, but because I want to reaffirm that I am open to help.

Enjoy the day!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Thu May 19, 2016 12:00 am

newday45 wrote:Good Morning All,

A beautiful sunny, brisk morning up here in New England, and I'm proud to say that I'm sober to enjoy it!

It's a beautiful morning in Chepstow, South East Wales (UK) too. And what a morning it's been already; I'm making a huge effort not to hit the snooze button on my day, I got up when the alarm went off, I meditated (with a coffee) for 10 minutes, went for a run, did some yoga, showered and I'm feeling so peaceful it's like I've had a couple of drinks. This is definitely 'a life beyond my wildest dreams'; my wildest dreams would've involved tall leggy women, Russian preferably, a desert island, copious amounts of whiskey and cocaine; but now it's peaceful. Never in my wildest dreams would I have wanted 'peace'. :lol:

Anyway, I'm putting more emphasis on my morning routine part of my program, which is why title of your post attracted me.

Mornings are great; full of promise. Coffee is great too.

Wishing everyone a great day; it's time to get ready for work.

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:30 am

Great post. it was enouraging and insightful.
I to wake up to see the morning with no groggyness of yesterdays booze, and it is great feeling. This feeling of sobriety and being out of the reins of alcohol is a true feeling of freedom. And I thank god every day for it. Thank you for this post. Brought me back to the roots of why that dark place is so awful.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Fri May 20, 2016 3:06 am

Takes a long time to finally see the messes I did anyways and though I am sober I still have my character defects that make me as dangerous as I was drinking if I don't keep them in check. Remember it is process and time does heal, but gratitude might be the one point that can keep you coming back to remember what the day brought and knowing you slept pretty good and have clarity of everything either good or bad we haven't needed to drink to cope.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Discussions