Music in recovery

For recovery discussion

Music in recovery

Postby Ravensgrl » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Hey just throwing this out there, but what are some songs that help you through recovery? Two songs I've been listening to a lot are both by the Strumbellas, "spirits" and "we don't know." Both of these songs remind me of how I feel in recovery right now.
Ravensgrl
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Music in recovery

Postby Noels » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi Raven :D try some Deva Premal and Oliver Shanti. Very uplifting. There's another one where the chorus says 'my chains are gone ' but I can't remember the artists name. Will find the name and let you know.
Well done so far :D
Mwah xxx
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi Raven the other song is Amazing Grace performed by John Newton. Absolutely amazing lyrics. It covers every aspect of my life including sobriety. I listened to it for the first time when my best friend passed away and could relate to the lyrics and I listen to it still today. No matter how I feel at that particular moment or what is happening in my life - whether I'm going through a tough time be it in my recovery or just having an off day or whether I'm happy and just want to rejoice. The words work in any occasion and I always find peace listening to this particular version.
It just reminds me that everything happening is temporary and I need not be afraid as it will pass for I have already been saved - ..... my chains are gone, I ve been set free. .
Have an awesome weekend
Love and light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:18 am

There is an Akron, OH station 91.3 the Summit, that offers a 24/7 on line station called Rock and Recovery. They're really committed to helping those of us in recovery.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby kdub720 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Wow, what a great topic. Music inspires the world and is crucial to recovery. I tend to listen to Bob Marley. The song that gets me the best is "Dupee concorer ( spelling)" and "dem belly full." for some reason the reggae music moves my spirit and helps me think about what is important in life. The music Bob showed us is without judgment, spiritual without define religious allows me to adapt my views to his songs. I find comfort while sometimes feeling alone and not part of a drinking crowed like I had been for years. I loved this topic. Music is so important and I am so thankful that this topic came up, it made me reflect on times and the future.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Tue May 03, 2016 2:58 am

Interesting topic about music and recovery as I was still pretty green when Stevie Ray Vaughn died and being from Texas, and also because he was sober and had my attention I always kept life by the drop in my reach as necessary reminder of where I was and where I am today (back then) That song does hold a lot of truth to me today and although it means much more and yet not as much as it did back in the late 80's when I found sobriety,
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Jaywalker Steve » Tue May 03, 2016 3:58 am

The entire Lou Reed New York album was pivotal to early sobriety. I had, and sometime still have, anger issues and Lou's honesty and angry chords helped many of those wounds heal.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH
Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Postby D'oh » Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 am

Music has always had a big meaning in my life, but I think Alice Cooper (yes the Coop) plays the strongest role in my sobriety. Not necessarily any 1 song but his whole career. You can follow his own addiction thru his albums. First with Alcohol, then Drugs. This disease can infect anyone, and he is an Artist and a Minister's son.

The album "From the Inside" as he comes out of the Asylum holds the most meaning for me, the closest feelings of hitting "Bottom" and the look at it from a whole new light. Although it didn't make me want to pick up Golf Clubs.

Some of Tom Petty's lyrics also hold deep meanings of the Twists and Turns of Addiction. Even though he hasn't said he has been affected.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Sleddog75 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:30 pm

shinedown has some great recovery music. The lead singer Brent Smith, who is amazing, sings a lot about recovery. Country singer Collin Raye has a great song called "Little Rock" and that's about recovery and ala-teen. Gary Allan, who isn't an alcoholic, sings an amazing alcoholics anonymous song called "It Ain't the Whiskey" the video on you tube is great. It's got a big book in it and my fav. line in the song is: Y'all sit in this room and you talk like you got some kind of remedy. definitely a song to listen too. If you check out the acoustic sets that 3 doors down sings, the lead singer is in recovery and has some great songs. One of them is Let Me Be Myself. I would imagine a lot of the songwriters in Nashville are program friendly lol. there are so many others but I thought I would throw a few out there. I'd drop links but I don't think that's allowed
Sleddog75
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Feeya » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:40 pm

What a great topic!
Pretty much everything from Linkin Park deals with recovery, Macklemore - the Heights is almost an entire record dedicated to relapse and recovery,
the red hot chili peppers have some great songs on that topic, Sixx AM, Imagine Dragons - Demons is a great song about addiction too, Bruno Mars - Gorillas.
I like to listen to songs that deal with the topic of addiction, makes me feel like I can relate!
One day at a time.
Feeya
Forums Contributor

Return to Discussions