Heard at the District Meeting!

For recovery discussion

Re: Heard at the District Meeting!

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:30 am

references and offers suggestions / personal understandings of the steps and chaptrrs, AA approved would be invaluable.

If I see a new-comer I try to hook him/her with the CD of Joe Charlie segments of Doctors Opinion&There is a solution (extracted out of the whole workshop). If they are squeaky new to the fellowship. Chronic relapsers, I give them Chris Rs CD. It helped me a lot, to conclude that its more than just going to meeting and that I tap into the power by working the 12 steps.

And then some old-timers would occasionally come and tell me its not conference approved, its attraction not promotion crap on me. I just ignore them.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:33 am

Good for you my friend. I totally support you on that " override". I wonder if when Bill wrote the book and suggestions - even with the words " exactly and precisely" he did so with the intention that the next generation/s of alcoholics should dissect each word written. Somehow I have a feeling that he would have wished that to be avoided therefore the repeated usage of words like "exactly and precisely". I also wonder if he would really have minded us " overriding" the suggestions of the older fellas at times provided it offers relief to the still suffering alcoholic bearing in mind that when he wrote the book the world was not yet as technically advanced as it is now? Perhaps if he wrote the big book over today some of the ideas and techniques now available would have been included in such book?
Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:38 am

Noels wrote:Good for you my friend. I totally support you on that " override". I wonder if when Bill wrote the book and suggestions - even with the words " exactly and precisely" he did so with the intention that the next generation/s of alcoholics should dissect each word written. Somehow I have a feeling that he would have wished that to be avoided therefore the repeated usage of words like "exactly and precisely". I also wonder if he would really have minded us " overriding" the suggestions of the older fellas at times provided it offers relief to the still suffering alcoholic bearing in mind that when he wrote the book the world was not yet as technically advanced as it is now? Perhaps if he wrote the big book over today some of the ideas and techniques now available would have been included in such book?
Love and Light
Noels

Times may change but the disease doesn't. I don't believe the fact that the world is more technically advanced will change the solution.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:12 am

My mentor would say, they haven't found a pill for the obsession yet and a pill to fix the spiritual malady. And that stinky mind of ours, its always out there to trick us into doing anything to experience the "effect" of alcohol. I always think of the patients in the nut-ward who act as though they swallowed the pill and spit the pill once the nurse leaves the room. Thats how I would act if I haven't found a spiritual solution.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Times may change but the disease doesn't. I don't believe the fact that the world is more technically advanced will change the solution.

I agree with you Lali, 100%. I am totally baffled whenever I hear anyone say things like the Big Book is old or that it was written in a different time. I used to laugh my head off as a newcomer when I would hear some complaining about needing to change the Big Book. My Sponsor could be a tough one and I loved her for it, she wouldn't co-sign anyone's BS!

My sponsor would sit quietly listening to them complaining and when she had enough, she would look them in the eye and share the truth:

"Alcohol hasn't changed since man first crusted grapes. Alcoholism hasn't changed since man first crushed grapes. Alcoholics haven't changed since man first crusted grapes. WE have a solution that hasn't changed, because it works when we work it....but YOU haven't changed since you walked through those doors of AA! " :lol: :lol:
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Patsy© » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:13 pm

I also wonder if he would really have minded us " overriding" the suggestions of the older fellas

It takes 3/4 of ALL AA groups world wide to change even one comma in the Big Book and the Twelve and Twelve, as well as other AA Conference Approved Literature. Ya, I think Bill might have put some real thought behind that one! LOL
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to Discussions