Heard at the District Meeting!

For recovery discussion

Heard at the District Meeting!

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:04 am

Interesting, the DCM was talking about being part of a literature committee to discuss a possibility for a newer version of the big book with language pertaining to modern day. An example he gave was sentences like "Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely." Instead of nil they are looking for phrases that is used in todays world. Another example was rancor....they couldn't come to a conclusion so the decision was defferred to a later date.

So, this will not replace the big book but this probably will be offered to people in prison and other areas where its difficult to access a dictionery. Thats what I am told.

Don't shoot the messenger. But, I would say, its a welcome change. I don't have to struggle with some of the words/phrases.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Heard at the District Meeting!

Postby Noels » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:25 am

:D Hi Avaneesah :D always lovely talking to you. Quite true. Something else that i couldn't place until yesterday when a member brought me a 12x12 - i never knew that it was actually a separate book which one can almost say - explains and talk about the steps in a deeper format. The piece that he read to me from this book was exceptional. Perhaps something with a more detailed description of the literature can be posted on the site as well if not there already? Remember I'm thinking and experiencing from a newcomers eyes (hehehehehe which is exactly what i am) so I'm noticing things that i wondered/wonder about and didn't know hoping it can assist another newbie.
Keep it up brother. Always nice to read your postings :D
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:50 am

avaneesh912 wrote:An example he gave was sentences like "Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely." Instead of nil they are looking for phrases that is used in todays world.

How about?...Zilch...Nada....Doodly Squat? I'm glad I came in when I did.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby whipping post » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:08 am

As much as I love the Big Book it sounds like a great idea. I had to refer to the dictionary several times when I was fresh. Still do.
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Postby Stepchild » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:14 am

"Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely."

I actually really love that line...And it really stresses the importance of the first two steps. Our old ideas we had to let go...

Step one...

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

Step two...

Besides a seeming inability to accept much on faith, we often found ourselves handicapped by obstinacy, sensitiveness, and unreasoning prejudice. Many of us have been so touchy that even casual reference to spiritual things made us bristle with antagonism. This sort of thinking had to be abandoned.

Smashed and abandoned...Until we do that....We don't get anywhere.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:15 am

There's another earlier topic discussion thread with pro and con opinions posted on this same issue:

"Should the Big Book be revised?": viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15499&hilit=shakespeare

I sided with the "con's" on this topic. The word "con", like "nil" is Latin. It means "against" in English.

Shortly after the BB was published, AA members began writing "companion" books explaining the meaning of words and phrases Bill used in the BB. The Little Red Book is one of these and is still very popular among AA members. Later, Bill wrote the 12&12 as companion book and that is still popular too. There are other more recently written companion books like "AA For Dummies", "The 12 Steps For Dummies", and "The Idiots Guide To The Twelve Steps", all available from Amazon. I haven't read these last three but the reviews are good and the titles sound like they might be humorous and helpful.
Last edited by ezdzit247 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:17 am

Folks talk about changing the Big Book words all the time, and it rarely goes anywhere. Personally, one can come up with a definition of "nil" and it is a bidding word in some card game or another, meaning zero. A lot of cultures come together in prison, but they all play cards. And for Pete's sake, if you can't figure out the word, use the rest of the sentence to figure it out. Do the work required to get sober.
Someone may say, "it is "the result" so it is pretty important!" Maybe someone needs to look it up, even if it means going to the library. The things we have to invest in our recovery are not so overwhelming after all. Infinitely more simple than what we had been doing and well worth the work. "Half measures availed us nothing."

Personally, I wish they would do something with, "we are convinced to a man"... seriously, what the heck does that mean? Can't get that one from Webster's dictionary!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:21 am

Again, this was not to be a replacement for the book. This is for people like me and primarily the tribal people in Canada (i am told) and people in prison.

Yeah I hear there are other companian books, but my thinking those are not AA approved, perhaps? We are bent on having our own literature and add it part of the conference approved catalog.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Stepchild » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:39 am

PaigeB wrote:Personally, I wish they would do something with, "we are convinced to a man"... seriously, what the heck does that mean? Can't get that one from Webster's dictionary!

LOL...You've mentioned this before.

To a man: Without exception. Everyone. Unanimously.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks again - I know what it means and invariably I have the opportunity to define it for newcomers. It does give me reason to tell them that Bill was a pretty flowery guy when it comes to language. I mention it as an addition to the topic of defining the old language.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:48 am

avaneesh912 wrote:Again, this was not to be a replacement for the book. This is for people like me and primarily the tribal people in Canada (i am told) and people in prison.

Yeah I hear there are other companian books, but my thinking those are not AA approved, perhaps? We are bent on having our own literature and add it part of the conference approved catalog.

Tribal people (Native Americans) in my area say they are offended by the BB's use of the word "God". They use the word "Creator" or "Great Spirit" and prefer the word "wellbreity" instead of "sobriety" for recovery. I've read their book, "The Red Road to Wellbriety" (available from Hazelden and Amazon) and attended some of their Red Road meetings in my area. The RR meetings put a much greater emphasis on spirituality than regular AA meetings and use an edited version of the 12 Steps, like many special AA subgroups in AA, i.e Buddhist, Muslim, Atheist, etc but it's basically the same program.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Stepchild » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:11 am

PaigeB wrote:It does give me reason to tell them that Bill was a pretty flowery guy when it comes to language.

Agreed...To catch the hopelessness like he does here...Is hard to replace.

Then came the night when the physical and mental torture was so hellish I feared I would burst through my window, sash and all. Somehow I managed to drag my mattress to a lower floor, lest I suddenly leap. A doctor came with a heavy sedative. Next day found me drinking both gin and sedative. This combination soon landed me on the rocks. People feared for my sanity. So did I. I could eat little or nothing when drinking, and I was forty pounds under weight.
pgs 6-7

Sash being the frame that holds the glass in. I can relate to this. Totally relate.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:54 am

Last time we discussed this we had many different views, some kept ignoring the fact that it was made clear that only certain outdated words were being suggested for change, what I wrote near the end of that thread in 2014 still works for me, I said -
What I found interesting about responses to the topic, is that some have compared the book to the bible and Shakespeare’s writing, and said nobody would allow those to be changed so don’t touch our book. Well I guess they have a point, and when I see ordinary folks lining up to read Shakespeare or the bible I will agree. It should be about making things easier, not having people scratching their heads.

What I also found interesting, is some agreed that the book was a pain in the rear at first, but once they got through the steps and read it a few times came to love the wording, and I did too, I love the book as it is and understand every word, but it’s not about me, and if newcomers would find a revision easier to read why in heavens name not do it, old fogies like me can keep our old editions.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby PaigeB » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:56 am

I thought sash was the curtain, but that is a real image, either way.

I often hear alcoholics refer to this desire to die rather than suffer drunk or sober. It is the "jumping off" place? Do or die?
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Stepchild » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:10 am

PaigeB wrote:I thought sash was the curtain, but that is a real image, either way.

I often hear alcoholics refer to this desire to die rather than suffer drunk or sober. It is the "jumping off" place? Do or die?

Thoughts of dying rather than continuing like that. I went to a doctor complaining of anxiety...He prescribed something...I continued to drink with it...Finally getting so bad I gave up the pills. I couldn't stomach a peanut butter sandwich at the end of my drinking. Way underweight. This was spot on for me.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to Discussions