The obsession and depression

For recovery discussion
Mudruck
Forums Enthusiast

The obsession and depression

Post by Mudruck » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:42 am

When I was at work I felt good. Soon as I come home for days off the headaches start the depression, the desire to drink. I have always used booze as my reward. Work is an addiction for me as well.
Anyway, come home and just want to turn around and go back to work.

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Re: The obsession and depression

Post by Robert R » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Mudruck, Do whatever you have to do friend to hold the ground you have got, phone another alcoholic. Ask a non drinker round for coffee. Whatever it takes! My experience is it does get easier, then through working the steps, life gets better all round.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:26 pm

My first sponsor "made" me figure out new things. She always had a laundry list of service opportunities. And she told me to make plans in advance by making appointment with other alcoholics to have coffee or eat. And there was the ever popular: clean the hall.
...a score card reading zero...

Mudruck
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Mudruck » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:30 pm

Got my but to a meeting. Surprise the topic was one day at a time. Good speakers and topic. My mood is alot better then it was 2 hours ago.

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:44 pm

Great stuff Mudruck, Staying sober one day at a time is a great way to get to a point where we can do the steps and learn to LIVE one day at a time. Glad you got to a meeting, well done friend.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Post by 4thDimension » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:45 pm

Meetings will definitely flip an attitude into positive territory.

Frequent meetings are a good tool to use in early sobriety. Got spare time? Go to a meeting. Got spare time - check out your Central Service Office. Got spare time - go out to eat with a group after the meeting. After you've gotten a sponsor and done some steps you'll feel better. Then you can adjust meetings to your sweetspot.

Keep a goin' !

Peter.H.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Peter.H. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:59 pm

Mudruck wrote:When I was at work I felt good. Soon as I come home for days off the headaches start the depression, the desire to drink. I have always used booze as my reward. Work is an addiction for me as well.
Anyway, come home and just want to turn around and go back to work.
Besides the above Mudruck, I am glad you felt better after your AA meeting.

Depression, to me, is feeling sad from thinking about all the things that did not go MY way in the past.
Sometimes old haunts have old memories of things that did not go MY way.
Recovery asks of me to let go and let God. In other words, I am okay.
I am okay and will be okay even if people, places, things, and situations don't go MY way.
Acceptance is the key to all my past, present, and future.

Happy New Year.
"...unless this person can experience an entire psyche change there is very little hope of his recovery" - Dr. Silkworth. [Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Ed, p xxix.]