Goals

For recovery discussion

Goals

Postby tlolson1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:41 am

I have a goal...and that is to attend 5 meetings a week. Found a great group right of the bat and went to 5 meetings last week. I am really enjoying myself when I go as par for the course...always hear something that resonates with me.
tlolson1
Forums Newcomer

Re: Goals

Postby leejosepho » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:12 am

tlolson1 wrote:Found a great group right off the bat...always hear something that resonates with me.

That was my own experience and the only thing different today is that I now try to add to that resonance for others.

Some meetings seem to suggest it is the newcomer's job to identify with us, but our book suggests we provide the identification so the newcomer can simply realize or recognize himself or herself. So, go for yourself or go for the newcomer...just keep going!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks for sharing that tlolson1. I had a similar goal when I started and it served me well. For me, it was like I'd come home at last and found my real family. Hope to hear more from you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:42 am

Hi Tlolson, I think I would've went to more meetings in my early days if they were available to me. I live in a small town that has two-per-week and because money was really really tight, I couldn't afford to travel far to others. I did try though.

Eventually when money became a little more freer, which happens when we put down the booze (funnily enough), I did make more meetings, but then Mrs Tosh became annoyed with me, saying that she'd lost me for a lot of years to the drink, and now she was losing me to A.A.. I think she was worried about me sobering up and then running off with a woman from A.A.. No woman in particular, just a woman. :lol:

Anyway, I joined A.A. by volunteering for a service position at my 2nd ever meeting (I did the coffee) and I found myself a sponsor; a really decent chap known as 'Big Book Martin'. He was really helpful to me with our 12 Step program.

No doubt you'll hear the word 'sponsor' used regularly at meetings, so here's a leaflet that explains what they are:

http://www.nld-aa.org.uk/documents/sponsorship/Q&A.pdf

And well done on your sober time and commitment.

Regards,

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby MrsHollman » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:33 am

I am new to the site and 4 weeks sober. I also attend 5 mtgs a week. Got a sponsor my 2nd week and visit her at her home 1 day a week for a few hours to go over the book. So far so good and Im looking fwd to getting my 1 month chip. Keep going and become of service. It is as easy to volunteering to help clean up after a mtg. For me I find that it helps when I go 15 mins early and leave 15 mins after. Gives me a chance to talk to others and a chance for others to approach me. I am so glad I found AA.
I thank God that I found AA. Sober since October 5, 2015
MrsHollman
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:59 am

Welcome to e-AA MrsHollman. This group is usually quite active and busy and a fine place for alcoholics to visit, it seems a bit slow right now Sunday morning and so forth, just wanted to say welcome, and also what a joy it is to see relatively new people like yourself who have found the right path encouraging others with great advice.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby MrsHollman » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:48 am

Thank you very much Brock. Glad I found you guys.
I thank God that I found AA. Sober since October 5, 2015
MrsHollman
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:24 am

Yamn - and stretch... Hi Mrs.Hollman. Just waking up here - lovely sleep in on a Sunday for me! Actually, been up long enough for a cup of coffee and donuts with the hubby who handles the early stuff at our place.

Early or not, I like to get my day started with AA and e-aa in particular. Get my mind in the right frame for the day. Now, off I go to my daily reading of the Daily Reflections!
viewforum.php?f=26

Glad you are here - you too tlolson (I still get to 5 meetings a week sometimes!). Keep comin' back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Cisbg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:24 am

tlolson1 wrote:I have a goal...and that is to attend 5 meetings a week. Found a great group right of the bat and went to 5 meetings last week. I am really enjoying myself when I go as par for the course... always hear something that resonates with me.

It's amazing when we find a group where we fell welcome. No doubt it helps a lot!
Keep it up :)
Last edited by Cisbg on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cisbg
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:25 am

tlolson1 wrote:I have a goal...and that is to attend 5 meetings a week. Found a great group right of the bat and went to 5 meetings last week. I am really enjoying myself when I go as par for the course...always hear something that resonates with me.

Keep coming back.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby kdub720 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:15 pm

right on. Many meetings need enthusiasm and new faces. nice work.
kdub720
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions