Just Help

For recovery discussion
Missstarchaser
Forums Newcomer

Just Help

Post by Missstarchaser » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:54 am

Chasing normal and physically can't stop. Had 4 years and need help.

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Re: Just Help

Post by Niagara » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:15 am

Hey Miss

Chasing normal seems horribly familiar to me. I did that all my life.

I found a passage in the big book which applied to me perfectly
So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so. Above everything, we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness. We must, or it kills us! God makes that possible. And there often seems no way of entirely getting rid of self without His aid. Many of us had moral and philosophical convictions galore, but we could not live up to them even though we would have liked to. Neither could we reduce our self-centeredness much by wishing or trying on our own power. We had to have God's help.

This is the how and why of it. First of all, we had to quit playing God. It didn't work. Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director. He is the Principal; we are His agents. He is the Father, and we are His children. Most good ideas are simple, and this concept was the keystone of the new and triumphant arch through which we passed to freedom.
When I accepted this, and worked at it through the steps, normal kind of happened - or at least more normal than I was before. I'm a work in progress. My chasing normal on my own was the most frustrating, exhausting, soul destroying thing - and I wasn't even aware I was doing it wrong. I got a good pair of blinkers.

It might be time to start applying these steps to your life for all your worth Miss.

If you're trying to come off the drink, a doctors visit might be in order, especially if you're struggling to stop even for a short period.

Hope to see you again soon, back on the horse

Best wishes
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:23 pm

Welcome friend,

We don't shoot our wounded.... If you had 4 years through AA, then the answer is to get back there. If you are new to us, locate your local Central Office or Intergroup here: www.aa.org

Make the phone call, its Free and Confidential. They'll be glad to hear from you.

Keep us posted... Thanks

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

chefchip
Forums Long Timer

Post by chefchip » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:29 pm

Be deeply grateful for your four years. Lick your wounds, but not for too long. Niagra and Tommy gave the only ESH that will work. Either do what you know to do to reclaim your sanity and sobriety, or find someone who knows what to do and do what they say.

We are here to help. Glad you came looking.
Chip
The only constant in life is change.