Redoing 4 & 5?

For recovery discussion

Re: Redoing 4 & 5?

Postby Krisscanlon1969 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:36 am

I have the honor and pleasure of being a sponsor to a man who has been in AA longer then me. he begrudgingly started after a few years not doing any. I am at year 5 and my new sponsor wanted me to do one this past January. i balked! I didnt do this to his face but seethed inside. i know why because I wanted control and cant accept this man telling me to redo my step 4/5. i did and did it well. I have a female friend in AA who has a sponsor doing it yearly with her. I opine that if its a new sponsor by all means it needs done. I needed this done so my new sponsor is gets a clearer picture of me. I now do the same to my sponsee. Step 10 in 12 and 12 says about semi annual house cleaning and I opine again this is really a step 4 to me. I am catholic so i go to confession on regular basis. this too was done by Oxford group members as we all know. Now i am still sick not recovered and i am in a spiritual program with no limit/ceiling so why would I stop now? i have to expand my spiritual life and if im negative and resistant to Step 4/5 or any steps then something is probably lurking in there i dont want to let go of. what was taken away from me? what didnt i get? finally what did you find out about me?

I feel no one suggests going over old ground thats been forgiven and out of the way. now if you want to call it a step 10 great call it that but i use the step 4 form. also how does one ever really complete a step 6/7 and 9? you dont its a lifetime process otherwise why would i keep coming back to AA just to be a "sin free old timer" one day? this is a reciprocal program and we need back forth i opine again.

i am a slippery loophole alkie and if i can get out of looking at my part even now i will. i am fine with this and dont wanna die of this illness so away i go revisiting and visiting the steps. just my thoughts and feelings and merely like all of AA just suggestions. God bless you all.
Krisscanlon1969
Forums Newcomer

Postby Yogananda » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:39 pm

If it does you no good. It will do you no harm.
Yogananda
Forums Newcomer

Postby Cristy99 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:09 pm

Krisscanlon1969:

Personally, I see no need to do a repeat of step 4 and 5 if one is diligent in working step 10. I also use the Joe and Charlie prompt sheets for this sometimes, they are an excellent tool and help me to be very thorough if I am having trouble seeing my part. "...and promptly admitted it." to me means that I promptly admit my wrong and make an amend.

I also agree that 6 and 7 are maintenance steps. God does not remove all of our defects.....well, speaking for myself only. Defects are sneaky little critters and can grow to monstrous proportion if not kept in check.

I also believe that the work becomes too complex and difficult if we constantly are worried that we might be calling something the wrong name and micro-managing everything. Parts is parts, man. Keep it simple. I just do the work and try not to get too bogged down in the details.

Have a great weekend!! And happy Labor day!!
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Discussions