Dr. Bob And His Library

For recovery discussion

Dr. Bob And His Library

Postby ezdzit247 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 pm

I was recently browsing the web to find a used copy of an out-of-print book to buy for an AA friend who's been going through a rough year. The name of the book is "The Art of Selfishness" by David Seabury which was first published in 1937. A copy of this book was given to me by a dear friend back in 1973 when I was going through a rough year and it really helped me. Anyway, while browsing the web for this book, I was delighted to find that Dr. Bob had also read Seabury's book, kept a copy of it in his library and recommended sober alcoholics read it. AA historian Dick B. has published a book called "Dr. Bob And His Library: A Major A.A. Spiritual Source" which is based on his 17 year research into cataloging what books AA co-founders Bill W. and Dr. Bob read and recommended to early AA members before the Big Book was published. Some of the titles listed were kind of shocking as they really didn't fit with the image I had of Dr. Bob as a kind of dour, dogmatic, bible thumping "Christian" type. Surprise, surprise. Dr. Bob was a truth seeker! Here's a few of hundreds of titles found in his library.

1. The Art of Living by Norman Vincent Peale

2. The Art of Selfishness by David Seabury (in a nutshell, Seabury suggested that people master and obey two great principles: (1) The Basic Law of Being--never compromise yourself; (2) The Magic Formula of Human Relations--absolutely no ego satisfactions. The book gives examples of every kind of "ego satisfaction".) Great read!

3. The Basic Thoughts of Confucius by Miles Menander Dawson

4. The Basic Teachings of Confucius by Miles Menander Dawson

5. Drinking's Not the Problem by Charles Clapp, Jr.

6. The Greatest Story Ever Told by Fulton Oursler

7. Happy Grotto by Fulton Oursler

8. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dales Carnegie

9. The Initiate by his Pupil

10. Kingdom Come by Ivan Cooke

11. Lead Kindly Light by Vincent Sheean

12. Life Abundant For You by Louise B. Brownell

13. Outline of Modern Occultism by Cyril Scott

14. Parish the Healer by Maurice Barbanelle

15. Peace of Soul by Fulton J. Sheen

16. Perfect Everything by J.R. Moseley

17. Quiet Talks With The Master by Eva B. Werber

18. The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

19. Rose Dawn by Stewart Edward White

20. The Secrets of the Saints by Henri Gheon

21. Sign At Six by Stewart Edward White

22. Song of Bernadette by Franz Werfel

23. Teachings of the Temple

24. Tertium Organum by Peter D. Uspenskii

25. The Unknown God by Alfred Noyes
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Re: Dr. Bob And His Library

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:22 pm

thx
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:07 am

I guess truth is truth, no matter what religious or spiritual clothing it's dressed in. Thanks for the list; I might choose a title and read it.

I've read the Dale Carnegie one, which is pretty good. One thing I remember from it was to give people a 'good reputation' and they'll try to live upto it. I'm sure that's what my homegroup did to me. :shock:

Can anyone recommend something from there?

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:31 am

Tosh wrote:I guess truth is truth, no matter what religious or spiritual clothing it's dressed in. Thanks for the list; I might choose a title and read it.

I've read the Dale Carnegie one, which is pretty good. One thing I remember from it was to give people a 'good reputation' and they'll try to live upto it. I'm sure that's what my homegroup did to me. :shock:

Can anyone recommend something from there?

Tosh

The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham. Amazing story. I'm just guessing here but reading that might have the inspiration for Dr. Bob's advice on keeping it simple.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks, ezdzit, it's on my reading list. :D
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby 4thDimension » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:51 pm

nice post; Thanks!
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Dan2000 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks, My Ego is not my Amigo
Remember in all we do, it's Progress,not perfection.
Dan2000
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Discussions