My e-AA experience

For recovery discussion
ann2
Forums Old Timer

My e-AA experience

Post by ann2 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 am

Hi! I'm Ann, alcoholic. I plopped into the e-AA chat room in 2003 after moving with my husband and 2 year old child from Sweden to Finland. I was excited to be in a city, Mariehamn, instead of in rural Sweden because I expected to participate in AA meetings again. I hadn't had contact with AA members since leaving Florida for Sweden in 2000.

At the meeting I finally found, I was discouraged at the differences between it and the AA I had gotten sober on in Boston. I couldn't understand much of the language spoken there, either, and my being American, female and relatively young (that was awhile ago now . . . ) was giving me the feeling of uniqueness. I searched online for AA resources and e-AA's chat room was the only one my computer could process. I started lurking there in GMT -2 hours time, mostly alone but able to participate for example in the Monday morning meditation meeting and others I didn't have to stay up till 3 am my time for.

I was pleasantly situated however to meet lone chatters showing up in the middle of their night seeking info on AA. At first I had very little to share, but as time went on I became instructed in the steps as well as 12 stepping. (As it turned out, taking the steps was key to 12 stepping :shock: )

I explored other e-AA offerings and became involved in group service. For me service was the glue that kept me part of the group. Whenever I despaired of ever understanding life or other people, I could concentrate on a task and through performing some little function get contact with the fellowship. That contact guided me through taking the steps and guides me today in applying the principles I learned.

So I became a bit of a service wonk while constantly expanding my knowledge of myself through applying the simple yet profound practice of 12 step living. I can never get my fill. Thanks for being here.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Duke
Forums Old Timer

Re: My e-AA experience

Post by Duke » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:41 am

I'm so glad you're here, Ann, and grateful for your service. And I really, really, really, love your quote.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa

clouds
Forums Long Timer

Post by clouds » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:59 am

Thank YOU for being here Ann. I loved reading your e-AA experience!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:20 pm

:D
...a score card reading zero...

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:41 pm

Nice share Ann2, glad you were when I joined. You were one the first to Welcome me to this forum.. Keep up the good work... John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Great share...Thank you for your service.

maurits
Forums Enthusiast

Post by maurits » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:22 pm

ann2 wrote:
...and guides me today in applying the principles I learned.
thank you Ann for sharing your e-AA experience!

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 pm

Thanks, Ann. You were one of the ones who helped me when I first tipped up.

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:03 am

Yup thanks Ann, one of the first ones to help me too :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

TheresaR
Forums Enthusiast

Post by TheresaR » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:27 pm

Wow, how time passes.
Thank for always being such an active and positive member of this group and for all your service Ann. :)
Let go and Let God