AA while on Cruise ship!

For recovery discussion
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

AA while on Cruise ship!

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:10 am

Last week I was on Cruise with 4 other families and this was my 3rd time on such vacation. People have told me there are AA meetings on Cruise ships but never paid attention to it. But this time, the daily program flyer had 'Friends of Bill W' as the first line item on sheet and for information requesting people to go to guest service. Came to know meetings were to happen 4 to 5 pm at the chappel on the 14th floor. All readings "How it works", "The traditions" and suggested topics were included in a folder. 3 other people showed up and a 4th showed up the 2nd day. It was cool to enjoy the fellowship at the sea. It was a different experience. Got a friend interested and he too joined the meeting last day with the other peoples consent. He wanted to know more about the fellowship. Later hooked him with more material about AA. I wish he never needs it, but if he ever turns into one of our kind, he knows what to do.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

CGPoolman
Forums Enthusiast

Re: AA while on Cruise ship!

Post by CGPoolman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks for sharing, that is good to know! I've heard several stories in my homegroup from people who went on a cruise only to come back and pick up a white chip. Their main reason was there was no support net to catch them and lack of phone coverage to call a sponsor or someone in the program. My wife has been wanting to go on another cruise for a couple of years now but I have been hesitant for that very reason. I would definitely go if I knew there were daily meetings on board the ship.

-CG

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Good stuff,

I managed two cruises (outside the many I did in the Navy), and each time had to do the advertising myself with a little "Friend of Bill W" note at the Guest Services... Unfortunately, I didn't get any takers, but was able to find a meeting at the port of call thanks to GSO's directory.

One meeting was held at a local home on a porch watching the sunset over the ocean... a beautiful time with friends I didn't know I had.

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Heinz57
Forums Newcomer

Post by Heinz57 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:19 pm

I was fortunate to find many "Friends of Bill W" meetings on cruise ships. Although sparsely attended the fellowship is great and gives us affirmation that we to can walk thru this obstacle. If you are going on a cruise ask the concierge to please add "friends of Bill W" to the daily activity list. My personnel suggestion would be to bring a the big book and daily reflections - if not for anyone else but to keep your own reassurance.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:43 am

If you are going on a cruise ask the concierge to please add "friends of Bill W" to the daily activity list. My personnel suggestion would be to bring a the big book and daily reflections - if not for anyone else but to keep your own reassurance.
Good piece of advice here. The first two cruises I was on, though, I have heard meetings happen on cruise, I was not able to figure out how to find them. Good suggestions on the books too as a fail save mechanism.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

CGPoolman
Forums Enthusiast

Post by CGPoolman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Just wanted to post a follow up here. I just booked a cruise as a Christmas present for the wife and I. The person I spoke with at Royal Caribbean told me that they offer AA meetings on all of their ships. The times vary, you just need to check at the pursers desk when you board the ship.

Have a good one!

-CG

hopeisabove13
Forums Enthusiast

Post by hopeisabove13 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks for sharing. I love the idea of having a place for non-drinkers to meet in a situation that certainly can be synonymous with drinking. In a lot of ways, a cruise ship is a perfect place for someone new to sobriety to see alternative options to drinking. I'm glad you were able to introduce your friend to sober things to do on a cruise.

When I stopped drinking, I made myself hang out and in places and situations I associated with drinking. I learned a lot about myself. If I had fun without drinking, I went back. if I didn't have fun, I realized I didn't like the place or activity in the first place and distanced myself. I imagine the cruise ship would offer quite a bit to check out.

DonH
Forums Newcomer

Post by DonH » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:29 pm

The posts I see are all a few years old. I am however glad to know there are meetings onboard. I will be looking forward to them. Hope to" meet " you there. Cruising 03/02/19 … Carnival Breeze

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:52 am

Welcome - this is an old post - but we see ya! Have a great trip!

Don't hesitate to ask the concierge or guest services rep! Friend of Bill W. meetings are usually offered!!

Port of call meetings - check here for one on your stop over... https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Welcome here Don, and I hope you enjoy the cruise.

I have never been to a meeting on a cruise, when I Googled to see if all cruises had them, it appears they do. What I found also, were some quite funny questions from passengers, who were wondering just what these meetings were. If I were not in AA I guess I would wonder myself, here is a sample of the questions -
On every ship I’ve ever sailed, there are always meeting announcements in the daily schedule for various groups, e.g. the Smith family reunion, bridge players, or continuing education courses. Over time, I noticed that there was a meeting announcement of “Friends of Bill W.” on every single sailing. Who is this “Bill W.”? How can he sail on every ship and have all these friends?
Well we can answer, no he doesn't sail on every ship himself, but he does have over two million friends.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

shaunagus
Forums Contributor

Post by shaunagus » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:39 am

Cruise ships are my favourite holiday and I’ve been on five since I joined AA. I think the Americans lines all have a day and time automatically set aside but the times vary from like to line or maybe ship to ship.

On Princess the meeting was at 1pm each day, in a bar - not ideal in terms of timing or location. I went a few times but no one turned up. On celebrity it was at 5pm each day in a conference room. Better time as most people are back from excursions then and back on board but it’s before dinner. There was someone there every day but usually just three of us.

On p&o (British ship) it wasn’t listed at all - I didn’t ask for it to be listed twice but again no one turned up.

I have to say though that that celebrity cruise, having an AA meeting every day made the holiday amazing. The other two were a husband and wife from Dallas with great recovery and we are still instagram buddies. I never feel at risk on a cruise even tho booze is everywhere as the desire to drink was removed and never came back as I worked the steps but just meeting each day on board and bumping into them around the ship or in port really elevated the trip. One of my best holidays.
“I am a seeker, a poor sinful creature, there is no weaker than I am,” Dolly Parton