Just asking a question about anxiety issues

For recovery discussion
amont
Forums Enthusiast

Just asking a question about anxiety issues

Post by amont » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Besides from alcohol or drugs, Is coffee or high in caffeine can cause an anxiety?

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Just asking a question about anxiety issues

Post by PaigeB » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:02 pm

For me absolutely so... When I first sobered up I remember having a near breakdown and my mother, over for a visit asked me how much caffeine I was drinking. When I said a pot a day, she suggested I tone it down a bit and I did. I still needed a doctor's help to be able able to sleep nights, but I found myself much less agitated during the day.

Switch to decaf? Yup - I can tell no difference in the taste at all!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

amont
Forums Enthusiast

Post by amont » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:20 pm

Thank you for the advice, so defcaf helps you reduce your anxiety? congratulation to your sobriety.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:54 am

I mix decaf and real coffee in the morning because I want a little pick-me-up. After that, I drink decaf only for the rest of the day. Decaf does not keep you from being anxious, but it tastes like the real stuff and doesn't make you agitated like real coffee often does.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:17 am

I agree with Lali. If the anxiety persists after you cut out the caffeine, see a doctor. OR better yet - see a doctor about cutting back on caffeine as it relates to anxiety.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Anxiety is natures way of protecting us from lions/tigers/bears/wolves; we've 200,000 year old software in our heads; it's about time we had an up-grade!

The 12 Steps will reduce anxiety. We'll no longer be looking over our shoulder, worrying about what we've done when we were drinking, or having irrational panic attacks; and lots of other stuff.

I love my morning coffee - full strength - and another cup before I run, and a cup at an A.A. meeting.

There's is NO WAY I'm giving up my caffeine. I'd rather be anxious.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 pm

amont wrote:Besides from alcohol or drugs, Is coffee or high in caffeine can cause an anxiety?
Absolutely YES! Switch from regular coffee to decaf if you enjoy the taste of coffee. Same for soda. Many sodas contain a lot of caffeine. Drink sodas that have no caffeine, water, juices, milk. There are a lot of alternatives! Unfortunately, I can't blame my poor memory on caffeine. I posted a reply to the OP and then a little later another. Hmmmmmmm.
Last edited by Lali on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

laughingwolf
Forums Enthusiast

Post by laughingwolf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi amont. I have anxiety and quitting caffeine has helped me a lot. I don't even drink decaf because there's still a small amount of caffeine in it. Instead, I drink herbal tea. The best one I've found is chamomile. It has a wonderful calming effect.

I also agree with Tosh. The steps greatly reduce anxiety. Much of my nervousness came from worrying about being found out. The fear prayer is also great! "God, please remove my fear and direct my attention to what you would have me be." Sometimes I visualize my HP holding me in a giant hand or with wings stretched around me protecting me or as a fierce animal (well, usually, a wolf :D) fending off things I fear. I also see a therapist and attend a mental health group (pm me for the name of it and more details if you want) to help my anxiety.

There are some other simple things I've been practicing to help with my anxiety. Maybe they could help you, too. Meditation, breathing, and exercise. I like using YouTube videos of natural sounds like rain or ocean waves to meditate with. Taking deep breaths helps me. Also, taking a short breath in and exhaling fully is relaxing for me. And exercise can get rid of some of the extra energy that anxiety gives me. I have to be careful with this one, though, because there are certain movements that make it worse (like pacing and multitasking esp. in the kitchen). A lot of times I have to catch myself and remind myself to take it easy or easy does it.

RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Post by RobC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Towards the end of my drinking the anxiety and panic attacks were pretty bad. After about 8 months sober it went away. Never changed my caffeine intake. I drink a lot of Pepsi and coffee. I think the chemicals in my brain just had to get back to normal.
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315

amont
Forums Enthusiast

Post by amont » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:33 pm

laughingwolf wrote:Hi amont. I have anxiety and quitting caffeine has helped me a lot. I don't even drink decaf because there's still a small amount of caffeine in it. Instead, I drink herbal tea. The best one I've found is chamomile. It has a wonderful calming effect.

I also agree with Tosh. The steps greatly reduce anxiety. Much of my nervousness came from worrying about being found out. The fear prayer is also great! "God, please remove my fear and direct my attention to what you would have me be." Sometimes I visualize my HP holding me in a giant hand or with wings stretched around me protecting me or as a fierce animal (well, usually, a wolf :D) fending off things I fear. I also see a therapist and attend a mental health group (pm me for the name of it and more details if you want) to help my anxiety.

There are some other simple things I've been practicing to help with my anxiety. Maybe they could help you, too. Meditation, breathing, and exercise. I like using YouTube videos of natural sounds like rain or ocean waves to meditate with. Taking deep breaths helps me. Also, taking a short breath in and exhaling fully is relaxing for me. And exercise can get rid of some of the extra energy that anxiety gives me. I have to be careful with this one, though, because there are certain movements that make it worse (like pacing and multitasking esp. in the kitchen). A lot of times I have to catch myself and remind myself to take it easy or easy does it.
So how are you now? Thank you for the replies about my question. I learned a lot. Thank you guys

2granddaughters

Post by 2granddaughters » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:48 am

I came to realize that AA coffee removed my anxieties if I drank a cup of it daily at meetings. :)

All the best.

Bob R

amont
Forums Enthusiast

Post by amont » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:43 am

That's great. Good for you. Thank you for this information. Keep posting guys

chefchip
Forums Long Timer

Post by chefchip » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:04 am

A different perspective. For me, I find that if I am asking a question like this these days, I probably already suspect the answer. Recovery has given me a whole new set of tools to cope with life, as well as to enjoy life. Part of my continued recovery will come from trusting those tools, especially my "relationship" with my higher power. So, do you suspect these things are a problem for you? If so, trust yourself, act "as if," and see. As with our drinking, if we don't like the results we can always start again.

Thanks to all who have posted.
Chip
The only constant in life is change.

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:21 am

Snap! ah yes anxiety. I am nervous as a whore in church and I always have been; mom used to beat my ass for being a jumping bean in my chair and could never sit still for a minute. chugged my milk as a kid and chug it today. I don't have a answer on why I am this way. I take a non habit forming medicine as to keep me some what more focused and so I can sleep at night. normally that medicine works well except for when the moon is in cycle. I can say I've never felt comfortable in my skin and drinking helped me accept things and eventually drinking didn't do the trick.

I still have issues with me and my skin and today I know if I don't drink because of my issues then my issues won't get any bigger than I think they are. Is it a good answer? I works for me and I don't change what ain't broke as it never fails it breaks. :wink:
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Chris S.
Forums Contributor

Post by Chris S. » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:56 am

I have found that coffee at an AA meeting has a strange relaxing effect for me, I wonder why that is