Best xa speakers to listen to

For recovery discussion

Best xa speakers to listen to

Postby Donewiththis » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 pm

I've been listening to xa speakers at work for the last three weeks and am wondering which speakers people really for inspiring.
Donewiththis
Forums Newcomer

Re: Best xa speakers to listen to

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:59 am

Clarence Snyder (The Homebrewmeister 1st Edition BB), Chris R, Joe and Charlie Workshop, Mark Houstons 10 and 11 are some of the few I revisit all the time. Between these work, we should pretty much get a fair idea of how this program works and how to go about working the steps, best of all, on how to experience this power quickly.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Of those on the list that avaneesh wrote I had listened to all except Mark Houston, so I just played his talk called “what God can do,” 10, 11 & 12, enjoyed it he is a powerful speaker. Unfortunately a few people in the audience were laughing and giggling at things even when it was not meant to be funny, this took away from the experience a bit, I would add Sandy B. to the list, as he is a fine speaker as well.

I don’t want to change the topic, we are discussing speakers, but of those on the list only Joe and Charley are speakers who use their first names only, and we quite happily write Clarence Snyder’s and Mark Houston’s names in full, which is a break in the traditional way members of AA are supposed to be identified. And I am not saying avaneesh is wrong for doing it, these speakers themselves have had a very high profile, and have gone around using their full names all the time. Mark Houston has been on the Dr. Phil TV show openly giving his advice and full name, and pushing a treatment center he appears to own, Clarence had several “run ins” with Bill over this same issue, when Chris R. gives a talk which is being recorded he also gives his full name, as do many other speakers.

I personally think the surname of fellow members of a group need not be kept confidential within the group, and know the majority of those at my home group. However in my part of the world, many sponsors do not like new people listening to speaker tapes, and there are some old “fuddy duddies” who think the internet is evil, and will put anybody off. Of course I don’t agree, but when speakers like those mentioned above practice this high profile use of names, it will unfortunately give those who condemn these type of tapes ammunition with which to attack us.

God bless all who contribute.
Brock.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Tosh » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Clancy I is brilliant; love his humour.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby kittyr » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:03 am

Any good lady speaker tapes you guys can think of? I like the guy ones as well but sometimes I feel like listening to a woman.
kittyr
Forums Enthusiast

Postby seew » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Chuck C. six-part talk called "A New Pair of Glasses" is really good. So is anything by Bob D.

I liked Chuck C. so much that I bought the book that is is a transcript of the talk. There are parts in the audio that are hard to understand. The audio and book together are hard to beat. Chuck's talk was recorded in the 1970s.

Bob D. is from Las Vegas and does a superb job of explaining the problem and solution in a more modern way than Chuck or Joe & Charlie. But any of these you can't go wrong.
seew
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Donewiththis » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks for the input. I've been listening to xa all day for a few months and find, even if I don't like the speaker, I always get something out of it.
Donewiththis
Forums Newcomer

Postby gonzo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm not sure if he's on XA but a D.C/MD/VA area guy named Sandy B. is really good. I downloaded his mp3 files from another site.
Chris M.
a.k.a. gonzo, alcoholic math nerd
gonzo
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:25 am

gonzo wrote:I'm not sure if he's on XA but a D.C/MD/VA area guy named Sandy B. is really good. I downloaded his mp3 files from another site.

Sandy B is class. He's on XA Speakers; he's also on youtube - these ones seem fairly current talks. He's a great sense of humour.

Good one.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby shaunagus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 am

Wow - Chris R is a bit scary. Just listened to him. Enjoyed it though. Also found Clancy a good listen, quite moving in parts funny in others, very grounded in 12 steps I think.

Also listened to Barry L earlier. Again moving, funny, good recovery and history talk. I haven't listened to that many really have focusssed on Joe and Charlie mostly until recently, I love those shares.
“You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop." Rumi.
shaunagus
Forums Contributor

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:08 am

Wow - Chris R is a bit scary. Just listened to him. Enjoyed it though.

I had the same impression on hearing Chris R the first time. Its the absolute truth and nothing but truth. And I like him the best. That particular talk I heard, where he describes the "spiritual malady" was something stuck with me. The feeling of being restless irritable discontended in the morning at a seven-eleven looking for something to take the edge off, being miserable and snaping at people (in the morning) but in the afternoon, the moment you pick that 1st six pack of the day, you have not even drank it yet, but you are already well! That is what alcoholism is.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby freewe » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:57 am

I have been listening for 5 years, mostly bob d,sandy b,chris r, a couple of others that are good and funny are earl h and john a.
freewe
Forums Newcomer

Postby 4thDimension » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:10 am

There are a lot of good women speakers, one is June G. from California, but she speaks all over. Mickey Busch is very funny and poignant, but if you're in AA, you'll want his AA talk. Mark Houston; always liked Don C., Sandy Beach, many, many others.
4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Postby RobC » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:24 am

Bob d from vegas is my favorite. I downloaded a bunch of his talks.
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Postby RobC » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:28 am

Also a channel on youtube called odomtology that has a lot of great speakers too.
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Discussions