Why Meetings Make Us Feel Good

For recovery discussion
JohnElkRiver
Forums Enthusiast

Why Meetings Make Us Feel Good

Post by JohnElkRiver »

Heard in a meeting tonight. I think the guy mentioned he read something about it in The Grapevine.

I feel good after meetings because I listen to others in meetings. One of the few places that I am a good listener.
When I am listening to others i'm doing something for others. I'm not being selfish.
When i'm not being selfish I feel good.
This is why I usually feel good after an AA meeting.

I guess this would translate well to any service work, twelve step work, service position.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Re: Why Meetings Make Us Feel Good

Post by Lali »

Service work is great, especially for newcomers.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan »

Lali wrote:Service work is great, especially for newcomers.
Ditto that! Get involved and you will feel a certain sense of belonging.
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Listening to others gets us 'out of self'. It takes our minds off our problems and puts them on a healthier subject 'others'. It gives us a break from running our own stories through our heads. I think that's why I used to turn up to a meeting, gagging for a drink, but I found relief from that feeling in the meetings. I got a break from myself.

Self-centredness is the root of all troubles, remember.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

AlisonT
Forums Enthusiast

Post by AlisonT »

I think they also make me feel good because if I do have something going on and I share about it, I get heard by people who understand. So many times I have shared something that seemed looming over me at a meeting and someone has come up to me after the meeting to offer sympathy and I no longer needed it, because that looming thing was gone. The speaking of it, and someone else hearing, took away the power it had over me.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

I came home from the meeting last night feeling great! There were 2 women coming new to our meeting and since we have an Open Speaker Meeting the last Monday, we don't do surrender chips or 1st meeting stuff. I was running around before the meeting catching all the home group members to write down their phone numbers for the new gals.

Right before the meeting another new face arrived and it was her first ever AA meeting. I didn't have time to do more than give her a hug and offer her cake & coffee. After the meeting, I got my sponsee and another new gal to chat with her while I ran around getting phone numbers. I looked across the room and they were all laughing it it up! Long timers were stopping by, but my sponsee, with 8 days sobriety, was representing the home group and all of AA by being The Hand of AA to that woman. They were of service to the newcomer.

It was not ego that made me feel good & proud. It was seeing the light come on in the eyes of those newcomers. The love that we feel for one another filling the room. I even forgot my personal pain as I did laps around that room getting phone numbers.

I smile from my inner most self because this thing works.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Tom S
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Tom S »

...warms me to hear the wee story...
Thanks,
Tom

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

PaigeB wrote:I came home from the meeting last night feeling great! There were 2 women coming new to our meeting and since we have an Open Speaker Meeting the last Monday, we don't do surrender chips or 1st meeting stuff. I was running around before the meeting catching all the home group members to write down their phone numbers for the new gals.

Right before the meeting another new face arrived and it was her first ever AA meeting. I didn't have time to do more than give her a hug and offer her cake & coffee. After the meeting, I got my sponsee and another new gal to chat with her while I ran around getting phone numbers. I looked across the room and they were all laughing it it up! Long timers were stopping by, but my sponsee, with 8 days sobriety, was representing the home group and all of AA by being The Hand of AA to that woman. They were of service to the newcomer.

It was not ego that made me feel good & proud. It was seeing the light come on in the eyes of those newcomers. The love that we feel for one another filling the room. I even forgot my personal pain as I did laps around that room getting phone numbers.

I smile from my inner most self because this thing works.
Nice, Paige. Thanks for sharing that.
:D