Today is Overwhelming-Help

For recovery discussion

Re: Today is Overwhelming-Help

Postby Mike O » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 am

Hanna wrote:I became willing to try and now today I am peaceful and content. Things aren't perfect, but they are getting better and so am I, one day at a time.
I have a good job now in my town, so commuting is easier, bills are up to date, community service is finished, yet I still volunteer with the Red Cross, it makes me feel good to contribute. And best of all, I am gaining back the trust and respect of my family.
8 months ago I didn't think any of this was possible, but I followed the steps and it has led me to a better way of living,
Hanna

Thanks so much for your post, Hanna. Those steps really do work, eh??
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Texan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:30 pm

One can sense a calm and peace about you reading your thoughts today compared to those from back in June of last year. I'm so happy for you, that you did stick and stay. Something told me then that you would. I'm very happy that you're here and willing to give away what you've so freely received. I'm glad you dug out this thread, too.

Best of everything to you, Hanna!
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Postby seed1234 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:37 am

Hanna......thanks for sharing your journey. It was great to read and see your progress! It's 1am and I can't sleep so thought I'd check out the forum and glad I did. I have 5 months sobriety and you should see my home office......full of piles, boxes, things I need to take care of but just don't seem to have the energy. I used to be such a responsible person before I became a slave to alcohol. I'm hoping that attribute will come back along with many others I lost along the way. I realize I'm still recovering in all areas and try and focus on first things first...my sobriety! I didn't get like this in 5 months so it's only natural that it will require more than 5 months to repair myself. God knows I'm giving 100% to the best of my ability. Some days are so OVERWHELMING and I feel like a failure and a slug! But the big picture is I trust God, make meetings, talk to my sponser, help others where I can and don't drink. That is a huge improvement over spending 6-10 hours of drinking in a day! So I try to not beat myself up too much but some days are better than others. Such is life, right? My sponsor always tells me I'm right where I should be. I choose to believe that. Thanks for your posts....they are very encouraging!
seed1234
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Texan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 am

Seed, glad you're here. My office was piled up too at about that time. Crap was overdue but there was a light at the end of the tunnel. slowly but surely things started to get caught up. You're right in saying that it didn't take five months to get that way, so it will take a more than five months to get up and out. Set small goals that are attainable. Do set yourself up for failure by telling yourself that you are going to tackle the whole mountain. My desk is still piled up, but it is an organized pile now like it was when I was a fully functioning member of society.

I heard something the other day at a meeting that I have heard before, but the other day it struck a chord with me for some reason. When you start to feel yourself getting down, or begin to set the stage for a pity party for yourself, get a piece of paper and pencil out and write up a list of things that you have in your life that you are thankful for. You'd be surprised at what you have. It will help you get out of the blah moods we find ourselves in along the way. Or pick yourself up and get out and do something positive. Nothing does more to wipe the frown off your face than to see somebody smile because of something you did out of the blue for them that will help them through the day. I don't know what part of the world you're in, but spring is around the corner here and there is always something going on that can be an outlet to be of some help to a person or a group. Go do some service work. Get back into the swing of life for no apparent reason. Nobody has to know that you are doing it for yourself as much as you are doing it for them.

Have a great day, or go out and make it a great day. Don't wait for the great to come to you while sitting on the couch or in front of the computer.

I hope to read more of you and congratulations on five months!!
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Postby Hanna » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 pm

seed1234 wrote: It's 1am and I can't sleep so thought I'd check out the forum and glad I did. I have 5 months sobriety and you should see my home office......full of piles, boxes, things I need to take care of but just don't seem to have the energy. I used to be such a responsible person before I became a slave to alcohol. I'm hoping that attribute will come back along with many others I lost along the way. I realize I'm still recovering in all areas and try and focus on first things first...my sobriety! I didn't get like this in 5 months so it's only natural that it will require more than 5 months to repair myself. God knows I'm giving 100% to the best of my ability. Some days are so OVERWHELMING and I feel like a failure and a slug! But the big picture is I trust God, make meetings, talk to my sponser, help others where I can and don't drink. That is a huge improvement over spending 6-10 hours of drinking in a day! So I try to not beat myself up too much but some days are better than others. Such is life, right? My sponsor always tells me I'm right where I should be. I choose to believe that. Thanks for your posts....they are very encouraging!

I still come here at all hours when I can't sleep, but even sleep is becoming more peaceful, no more waking abruptly in the middle of the night pacing the floors until the liqour store opened. I was so overhelmed with the consequences when I got here, everything looked impossible. No car, no job, no money, bills piling up, but I stayed and listened to people share how they got through it. It was simple, I asked for help from people who knew what I was going through and they shared their Experience, Strength and HOPE. All I had to do was be willing to follow the steps.
I read a post one night that said , just do one thing more than you think you can today, I love a challenge so I did it and felt good. I started throwing out just the junk mail from my desk and before I knew it it was somewhat organized, "Texan, My desk is still piled up, but it is an organized pile now like it was when I was a fully functioning member of society",me and Texan are alot alike :wink:
I don't remember when it happened, but I turned a corner somewhere since June and I really like where I'm going. This time around I'm taking life one day at at time. I have alot still to get done and it will be, one thing at a time. I used to put too much pressure on my self to get things done quickly, hurry,hurry hurry...now I get done what's in front of me. Be kind to yourself Seed, stay close to the program and do one more thing than you think you can, some days for me it was just getting off the couch to get another pillow :wink:
Keep posting,
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby johnd » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:01 pm

:D Hanna I Like it! John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

Postby Hanna » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:25 am

Feb 27, 2013
Hanna wrote:One week from today, March 5th, will mark 1 year ago that I got arrested for driving under the influence. I can see so clearly now how I ended up in that situation, I was an active alcoholic. I continued on a "spree" and was fired the following month. I continued drinking until June 17 when I woke up and realized I was about to lose my home and family and that terrifed me. I had already lost my job and car, bills were piling up and I was about to lose the crappy job I took just to help pay all the fines I incurred, not to mention the lawyers fee.
I arrived here 254 days ago a trembling, anxiety-ridden wreck and I felt hopeless.
The help I received here gave me hope that I could get my life back. The begining was hard, but the people who posted in this thread stayed with me, they shared their own experience, strength and hope and I listened because I knew they understood.
They are still here today, ready to help the next wreck that shows up and now so am I. If your new here stick around, you can get your life back and we will be here to help you.
I became willing to try and now today I am peaceful and content. Things aren't perfect, but they are getting better and so am I, one day at a time.
I have a good job now in my town, so commuting is easier, bills are up to date, community service is finished, yet I still volunteer with the Red Cross, it makes me feel good to contribute. And best of all, I am gaining back the trust and respect of my family.
8 months ago I didn't think any of this was possible, but I followed the steps and it has led me to a better way of living, I wish this for you. Just do the next right thing-One Day at a Time.
Follow the path and trust the process,
Hanna

Update: June 17, 2016-
" Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed out path"
It works! 4 years sober today and happy! What are you waiting for, directions are easy start at step one and keep going!
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:39 am

Thats so nice of you to look at the past and use it to show the new-comers that you can get over that. Exactly like the promises states.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Stepchild » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:28 am

What are you waiting for, directions are easy start at step one and keep going!

I love that....Congrats on four years!!
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby clouds » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:36 am

Hanna! Wow: what it was like, what happened and what its like now, in a thread!

Many congratulations on your four years of sobriety. :D :) :D
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:58 am

Congrats Hanna! It does work!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to Discussions