Today is Overwhelming-Help

For recovery discussion

Re: Today is Overwhelming-Help

Postby kenyal » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:56 am

I don't believe I can be of any help you to not feel overwhelmed. When I felt like that early on I found relief talking with sober people face to face...understanding and empathy and exchange of experience happened and solutions were brought up. The give and take that is impossible in this format.

Spots like this are great points to drag your phone list out and make arrangements to meet a sober lady for coffee. We do that for each other.
kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Postby Hanna » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:19 am

Tosh wrote: Drinking felt like my only escape from it at times.

It's a tough place to be in; I know from experience.

A.A. won't solve your problems, but what it will do is enable you to be able to solve them yourself, with - of course - the help of your higher power. Sounds cuckoo, right? Probably.
And about this stage it is normal to say, "If you pick up a drink, things will get worse, and if you don't pick up a drink, you will sort this stuff out."

Hi Tosh, I have to let you know that your words to me that day really helped me. So plain and simple, all I could handle at the time, but so powerful. This week when I faced the thought of a drink, I remembered that line.
"If you pick up a drink, things will get worse, and if you don't pick up a drink, you will sort this stuff out."
For the first time ever I didn't give in, I got busy and moved on. Today is day 21, thank you for helping me get here.
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby Hanna » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:20 am

Thank you all for helping me get to Day 21, this is the first time I ever made this far.
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 am

(((Hanna))) congratulations and thank you!

love, Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:30 am

21 Days and I think that you think that you really can do this thing, and you can.

Well done, Hanna; you're making a great start; and please keep posting - I love reading posts from people embarking on their journey through the normal stuff that A.A. suggests we do.

Regards,

Tosh, from another wet and rainy day in the UK! :D
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Hanna » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Day 25. I am not as overwhelmed. By following some suggestions here I have begun to tackle one thing at a time. The thought of how I was going to fulfill my community service, 180 hrs, (result of March Dui) was keeping my mind racing and getting me nowhere. A simple suggestion I read here turned that around. I contacted my local Red Cross and explained my situation with respect to CS. I have since registered with them for 6 hours a week working at the reception desk. I also signed up for 3 classes they offer which will contribute 16 more hours toward my debt. I will also be able to be a responder when the Red Cross is called. Helping others is a natural instinct for me, it always makes me feel good, Divine intervention at work perhaps. This is something I would like to continue after my debt is paid.
I also feel better knowing this foggy feeling I have is normal and will eventually pass-so long as I do not take a drink. Looking forward to clear skies, call me foggy for now.
Day 25 and feeling hopeful for the future and thankful for the fellowship I found here.
Hanna
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:48 pm

I love the Red Cross thing, Hanna; that's brilliant. A.A. offers lots of opportunities to do service, but I think service for any organisation is great. And it sounds more interesting than the Community Service the guys get court ordered to do in the UK. Here they go litter picking or working at the local council dump (I'm sponsoring a guy doing this kind of stuff right now), while wearing stupid vests that show they're getting punished.

Anyway, I was about to have a little rant there! :D

You're doing great; how are you finding the meetings? Any potential sponsor in your sights yet?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Texan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Hanna wrote:Day 25. I am not as overwhelmed. By following some suggestions here I have begun to tackle one thing at a time. The thought of how I was going to fulfill my community service, 180 hrs, (result of March Dui) was keeping my mind racing and getting me nowhere. A simple suggestion I read here turned that around. I contacted my local Red Cross and explained my situation with respect to CS. I have since registered with them for 6 hours a week working at the reception desk. I also signed up for 3 classes they offer which will contribute 16 more hours toward my debt. I will also be able to be a responder when the Red Cross is called. Helping others is a natural instinct for me, it always makes me feel good, Divine intervention at work perhaps. This is something I would like to continue after my debt is paid.
I also feel better knowing this foggy feeling I have is normal and will eventually pass-so long as I do not take a drink. Looking forward to clear skies, call me foggy for now.
Day 25 and feeling hopeful for the future and thankful for the fellowship I found here.
Hanna

The thing at Red Cross is a great idea! I'm glad you thought of it! My church is a designated Red Cross shelter for evacuee's that come in from the Gulf Coast fleeing storms like Katrina and Rita a few years back. It has been interesting to have these folks in the gym at times, but rewarding in knowing that we were able to help in some way during their crisis. I got busy with political stuff, helping candidates with their run, poll watching and even doing a recount when one came up. I've met a ton of folks that I wouldn't have otherwise that I am proud to call friends instead of acquaintances. My son is a Boy Scout, so there is another opportunity to help out a worthy cause for me.

Congratulations on day 25! I'm proud of you. As Tosh said, do keep posting. It helps you, and it continues to help me.

Best,
Bill
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Postby Hanna » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 pm

One week from today, March 5th, will mark 1 year ago that I got arrested for driving under the influence. I can see so clearly now how I ended up in that situation, I was an active alcoholic. I continued on a "spree" and was fired the following month. I continued drinking until June 17 when I woke up and realized I was about to lose my home and family and that terrifed me. I had already lost my job and car, bills were piling up and I was about to lose the crappy job I took just to help pay all the fines I incurred, not to mention the lawyers fee.
I arrived here 254 days ago a trembling, anxiety-ridden wreck and I felt hopeless.
The help I received here gave me hope that I could get my life back. The begining was hard, but the people who posted in this thread stayed with me, they shared their own experience, strength and hope and I listened because I knew they understood.
They are still here today, ready to help the next wreck that shows up and now so am I. If your new here stick around, you can get your life back and we will be here to help you.
I became willing to try and now today I am peaceful and content. Things aren't perfect, but they are getting better and so am I, one day at a time.
I have a good job now in my town, so commuting is easier, bills are up to date, community service is finished, yet I still volunteer with the Red Cross, it makes me feel good to contribute. And best of all, I am gaining back the trust and respect of my family.
8 months ago I didn't think any of this was possible, but I followed the steps and it has led me to a better way of living, I wish this for you. Just do the next right thing-One Day at a Time.
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. .."
Follow the path and trust the process,
Hanna
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Woo Hoo! Hanna

You're a blessing to many here, as we can not keep what we have unless we give it away.

And to see others recover and find that second chance at life, and then help others...well, that's just the Joy of Living they promised me.

So thanks for sticking and staying, fighting the good fight... that's major Victory over Alcohol! Miracles still happen (and it gets better)

Keep it up, you're doing good :)

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 am

Thank you Hanna.

My first year sober was very difficult. The hardest thing I had ever done. It is wonderful to see others facing that trial and coming through to find this treasure that has been my daily reward.

It hardly needs to be said, but that difficult year was so much better than anything I knew before :)

And it was great training for facing other difficulties, which of course have sometimes turned out to be opportunities . . . Only because i am sober.

But what I really wanted to say is that for me, the newcomer is the hero, doing it withiut the benefit of experience. There's a certain light that shines around that willingness. It is an honor to witness.

Clap clap clap :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby becksdad » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:27 am

Congratulations, Hanna! I am so happy for you! It is not the amount of time away from the drink, but the change that occurs in our lives. I see in your posts how you reflect on what it used to be like..... what happened, and what it is like now. What a difference, eh? Thank you for being a continuing example that through faith and action, this program WORKS! It is the only thing I found that works..... and I spent years trying to avoid it!!!

Just so you know, a bit of your story is exactly like my last days drinking. Had accumulated 2 DUI's in 2 months, January and March, but had my last drunk on June 18th, 2010. My first day in sobriety that year was the day before Fathers Day, and I hadn't spoken to my daughter for 3 years. It's not like that anymore!!! Thank God and the folks in AA who showed me the way (and continue to show me).

Thank you for being here, Hanna!

Ed
becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Postby Duke » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 am

Oh Hanna, you just made my day. Please stick around. You're a bright light.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby AlisonT » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:15 am

When I first started reading this, I didn't realize it was an old post. What a great delight to read the last few entries. In a couple days I will celebrate my 25th anniversary of my sobriety and I can tell you that you have only scratched the surface of how great this life can be. There will be bad times ahead. Life is life after all. But if you stay sober you will come out stronger and better than you ever dreamed possible.
AlisonT
Forums Enthusiast

Postby johnd » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 am

Congratulations Hanna,
I too thought the worst when I read your original post back in June, Whew! I'm glad it wasn' t a relapse :D . As Alison and Tommy had said it gets better all the time.
So keep up the good work and glad you are with us,you know you reallt help me more than you know, Thanks John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous
johnd
Forums Long Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions