Today is Overwhelming-Help

For recovery discussion

Re: Today is Overwhelming-Help

Postby Hanna » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:11 am

Texan wrote:Making a schedule and sticking to it, in retrospect for me was a great benefit to me. So set a schedule and put the energy now spent on fretting over how you let things go into staying on the schedule you set up for yourself. Tackle something that you 'let go' in terms of cleaning or getting caught back up.

Thanks Tex, since I can't get to many meetings this sight is a blessing, meaning you are a blessing. Thank you so much for your reply. I always used to make lists and check them off as I completed each task, I forgot about that. A schedule is exactly what I need, sometimes I get so caught up in the anxiety I can't think of what to do next.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:39 am

Hi Hanna. I want you to pat yourself on the back after you check off each little thing on that list! Before long, you will be adding things to the list so you can check it off!

Put these on your list: Read AA literature & Go to e-AA
and check it off a few times a day!

E-AA has a closed meetings section that has the Daily Reflections/AA Thought for the day. Join us there for reading and or discussion on a daily basis!

Congratulations for all that you have already done!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Hanna » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:23 am

Day 16. Feel like i'm standing on a tightrope, I'm in the middle and both ends scare me. I do not want to turn back, thats for sure. But where I'm standing is painful. I always numbed the pain with alcohol, this is new for me-facing life sober. I hate the feeling of feeling right now, but from what i'm learning, I have to go through it- to get out of it. Any advice?
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:16 am

I've heard someone say that we've got to go through the pain to get to the serenity, and in my experience that's been spot on.

16 Days is fantastic, Hanna. When I used to stuggle I'd go to a web site called XA Speakers and I would listen to a share from the site; there's 1000s of them there, and I gained a lot of strength and hope from them. I hope you do too.

Oh, I'd also go and find a meeting if there was one available.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:54 am

Hanna wrote:Day 16. Feel like i'm standing on a tightrope, I'm in the middle and both ends scare me.

I would be concentrating on not falling off at this moment, never mind about what's at either end.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Hanna wrote: I always numbed the pain with alcohol, this is new for me-facing life sober. I hate the feeling of feeling right now, but from what i'm learning, I have to go through it- to get out of it.

Oh yes! I've been there. A day at a time, I made it. And often I need to remember how it's done -- just these 24 hours is all I have to handle.

I'm glad you're exploring starting the steps -- you can ask any lady to assist you, even conditionally -- you don't have to have a sponsor right away. And you can do like many, use the Big Book as your sponsor. Study it. Follow the suggestions.

I recommend taking a little quiet time for yourself in the morning and at night to start with. Ask a power greater than you to help you stay away from a drink, just for today, and at night, if successful, thank whatever it was that made sobriety possible for you that day.

Thanks for being here and sharing --

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Hanna » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 am

Day 19. Yesterday I had an incredible urge to just take just "one drink" ( ha) to calm down the emotions churning inside. I postponed it for a few minutes and it passed. I was amazed at my willpower. This morning I realize it was GOD not me. I asked for a reprieve from wanting the quick fix and it was granted. When I woke up this morning I was so grateful that I didn't take that drink. The turmoil inside would have only been revved up to a point where another drink would have been neccessary to calm the new turmoil a drink would have caused. Thank you all who are posting, I am taking suggestions as you have offered and it is helping me be aware of the pitfalls.
On a personal note, I have tried PM ing some of you but when I look in my sent mail, there is nothing, what am I doing wrong. Also how can I quote just an excerpt. when I hit the quote button, the entire post is included.
Thank you, so glad I thought through the drink, I never want to go back to where I was 20 days ago.
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:16 am

Hi Hanna, great to hear from you, thanks so much for sharing!

Hanna wrote:I postponed it for a few minutes and it passed. I was amazed at my willpower. This morning I realize it was GOD not me. I asked for a reprieve from wanting the quick fix and it was granted.

Wonderful insight!!! Hurray!!!

How did I quote an excerpt? I clicked on the quote button and then manually removed the parts I didn't want with the backspace and delete buttons. I left the html code alone -- the stuff in the brackets -- and if I'm not sure if I did it right, I click preview to see what it will look like if I post it.

Sometimes I neglect to preview and find mistakes -- then I click the edit button to fix it or to see what I did wrong.

What a drag that the pms aren't going through! I will pm you and you look for that and answer it and we'll see what happens.

big hugs and SO glad you are here,

ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Texan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:09 am

I'm happy that you were able to get past the feeling of needing to take a drink. You'd be kicking yourself now if you did. Keep on keeping on girl. And keep coming back!

Adding a quotation from a previous post, or multiple posts are done just as Ann suggests. The code with the brackets ([ & ]) are called BB Codes. You can do a Google on then and see how to make text appear differently, insert pictures and stuff like that.

Be well!
Bill aka Texan
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Postby Hanna » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Texan wrote:I'm happy that you were able to get past the feeling of needing to take a drink. You'd be kicking yourself now if you did.

Thanks Ann, Thanks Tex. I now know how to quote, but my PM's are not going thru. Was able to last week.
I now see that the anxiety that seemed so bad was nothing compared to the aniexty and guilt I would have felt had I taken that drink. This is the first time in my life that I ever said no to the "demon". 19 days and I have experienced my first sense of not being alone at this. I never before went this long or had a desire that strong and was able to say no and move on with my day. I already experienced the grace of steps 1, 2 & 3. Thank you for helping me along the way. I think I might be smiling, its been so long I have to check.
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 pm

I think I might be smiling, its been so long I have to check.

me :) & you :)
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Hanna wrote: I think I might be smiling, its been so long I have to check.

You've found some faith (in A.A.) and hope, I think!

And I'm smiling too. Here's a little snippet about smiling; apparently if we smile - even a forced one - we get a little hit of 'happy chemicals' (endorphins). :mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Hanna » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I am blessed to have found you all and my smile, :roll: still checking to make sure.
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby Marc L » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 pm

First Things First;
Stay sober and work the program.
Your head will clear up and then you can work on rebuilding what alcohol has demolished.
Easier said than done, I know. :D
While in recovery your higher power will find ways to work stuff out. Trust in the process.

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby Texan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Hanna wrote:I am blessed to have found you all and my smile, :roll: still checking to make sure.

Look for good things that you know will make you smile! You know you can 'cause at some point, you did. I'm smiling with you as I type! :D :D

There is a lady in town that attends multiple meetings a day. Instead of saying, "Keep coming back," she will, in her loud and assertive voice, "Stick and stay!"

So, stick and stay, girl. Stick and stay!, :D :D
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions