HRO Medical

For recovery discussion
snapperjoe
Forums Newcomer

HRO Medical

Post by snapperjoe » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 am

I'm coming to the end of a 2 year ban and as a HRO have to take the medical. I have a bit of a concern about the time frame of the questionnaire as a declaration. I consulted my GP over ten years ago due to a stress related alcohol issue and tried a drug which was supposed to reduce cravings. I have been an AA member for a couple of years and have had no further issues with alcohol (dry since the DD offence) so no consultations to do with alcohol for 10 years. I am concerned though that if I mention this it could result in withholding the licence. The first question on the form, which is a legal statement, has no time frame and concerns history of medication for alcohol withdrawal. My inclination is to make an honest declaration…

Anyone experience of this process?
Any advice appreciated

Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: HRO Medical

Post by Brock » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:46 am

snapperjoe wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 am
My inclination is to make an honest declaration…
Welcome here snapperjoe, thanks for the question.

I have no experience with that particular declaration, but I do have experience of what I thought was a little ‘white lie’ on a declaration, and it came back to bite me on the behind big time.

I believe your inclination is the right one, and to my mind and I imagine also to any sane person, the time lapse between now and when you were given the medication is so long, that should not in any way affect the decision about your license.

Best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: HRO Medical

Post by PaigeB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am

I don't know what YOU mean by HRO Medical. But I googled it and I am guessing you meant something like this?
High reliability organizations are organizations that operate in complex, high-hazard domains for extended periods without serious accidents or catastrophic failures. The concept of high reliability is attractive for health care, due to the complexity of operations and the risk of significant and even potentially catastrophic consequences when failures occur in health care...
You might ask a Doctor's association or something - maybe even pay a lawyer for advice - if the question has to do with your career. I have not had experience and I know a few docs and a pharmacists in AA - but I do not know how they handled alcoholism and their careers.

It is a very complex thing with long reaching ramifications either way. You will have to make your own decisions no matter what others might say or do.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65