Thanks to You!

A.A. Birthdays!

Thanks to You!

Postby PaigeB » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 am

Today is my 8 year anniversary. I haven't found it necessary to take a drink in 8 years. Wow. Thanks!

Seriously. There is NO WAY I could have or would have been able to do it on my own and would very likely be DEAD at this moment in time had I continued to drink. Instead I have been given so much more than I would have expected (or wanted) on that day 8 years ago. All I wanted was to give my liver a break! Well, my liver enzymes came back good after about 90 days and I had a decision to make... my own little personal Step 3 on my way home from my 91st meeting (maybe lol - I wasn't really counting meetings, got a 90 day chip though).

I knew this thing worked. I had to decide if I really truly wanted to quit drinking because this thing worked! :shock:
Booze & Death or a Spiritual Life? I knew I did not think about alcohol like a normal person. And I knew that I would have to get a sponsor and work the Steps and who knows what kind of commitments I would get myself into! Crap. But right there, in my 1994 Buick Regal, at the intersection of Blank & Blank Streets, I had to decide if I was willing to go to any length to not drink on the long term. I didn't think I could do it. I knew I had to be willing to ask for and accept help and maybe even ask an HP of some kind. Crap. There I was, driving past one of my favorite beer caves. The Perfect Timing was bit a ridiculous, but I recalled how many times I walked in there before noon, sick as a dog, needing a drink. I had no "euphoric fantasies" about the drink... it was poison.

I was willing to be willing to Live. That is all I had and that was enough.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Thanks to You!

Postby Duke » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:37 pm

What a privilege it's been to walk with you Paige. You are an important part of my program. I'm so happy you shared.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:20 am

Congrats! Paige.

8X365-2= Wow, Although everyone one everyone met on our Road has a purpose, some Do Stand Out more than others, I am so grateful that you have been on my Road.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Chelle » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:37 am

Congratulations Paige on 8 years.
Your shares really help me, so Thank Youuuuuu! =biggrin
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:45 am

Well done Paige as you do provide service to many in the rooms and throughout the world on this site.

I always say keep'm coming because one day at a time adds up over the years.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Boiledowl » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:44 am

Congratulations on 8 years of sobriety!
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know" - Grateful Dead
"I wish you all the pain it takes to grow" - My first sponsor
Boiledowl
Forums Newcomer

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 am

Congrats Paige and nice little story.

I guess because you live in Iowa, your anniversary reminded me of my 8th year anniversary. At the time, I was a full member in a sober motorcycle club and spent alot of time in Iowa camping. During my 8th anniversary, we went to Sturgis; so I actually celebrated at the Sturgis AA club. It was fun. Luckily I had a big ugly sober boyfriend who I could hide behind at Sturgis; where there were 200,000 NOT sober bikers.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks everyone. Could not have done it without you... maybe I could not have done it without online AA! I love this 24/7 Forum board... I can make conscious contact whenever I want to or need to!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to A.A. Birthdays!