Just Passed My 11th Month!!

A.A. Birthdays!

Just Passed My 11th Month!!

Postby lankbrev » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:51 am

hey guys im new here but not new to AA, as of the 7th of november i have been 11 months sober *WHOOP**WHOOP* although i am finding it hard to be happy with my progress due to stress in everyday life !! the thought of being a year sober is being drowned out with all thats going on with my life, and i feel addiction may have a found a footing in my mind again but this time in the form of valium to help release me from day to day stress. i moved to cornwall 4 months ago and havnt been to a meeting in about 6-7 months but found this marvelous forum, which ill probably use to substitute my lack of meetings ! to all celebrating an anniversary i tip my hat to you all !!

Grandad, give me patience, Strength to see me through the rough times and guide me in the right ways!
Grandad, give me patience, Strength and integrity to see me through the rough times and guide me in the right ways!
lankbrev
Forums Newcomer

Re: Just Passed My 11th Month!!

Postby Brock » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:10 am

Welcome to e-AA lankbrev, and congratulations on the 11 months.

Well I am afraid you have yourself in a slight pickle, even with the 11 months, and it would be dishonest and against the AA principles to not state where you may be going wrong. Please take it in the way it is meant, with the very best of intentions.

Firstly the Valium, one of the founders Dr. Bob reported his daily misuse of these, and also others I have heard speak. I myself before I stopped drinking had to go from doctor to doctor, trying to get them, doctors kept saying no more for you. Finally I found a fisherman who used to smuggle large quantites in from Venezuela, (I live in the West Indies), and then my problem with supply was solved. Well I stayed on a couple 5mg per day for a few months after quitting the drink, but am pleased to say I very rarely use them now.

The AA program requires the doing of the steps, and when I finally accepted this and did them, and most importantly lived in the solution of 10 & 11, I not only found that I absolutely had no craving for drink, but I was also far calmer and serene. This is part of the promises the big book makes, and it is not a lie, and it can have you quiting that Valium and handling the day to day stress easier than you might imagine.

I won't go on about the lack of meetings, this forum is very good and useful, but at least until we have completed the steps and discovered what life is like living in the solution, face to face contact and discussion I believe is quite important. I see no problem slowing down after, and most recovered alcoholics I know just go to meetings a couple of times per week, and then basically only to give back to the program by helping others.

I expect others will welcome you, and maybe not 'lecture' as much as I have done, where you live is very pleasant, and the seaside towns as seen in my favorite TV show Poldark are something special, best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Reborn » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:31 am

Welcome to e-aa lankbrev. Have you completed the 12 steps? I do understand that some folks need to have anti-anxiety pills because they are medically necessary...infact I was prescribed ativan for anxiety. But like all things that change my perception I abused the S*** out of the ativan and continued to drink on top of that...which made the anxiety unbearable. I'm not saying this will happen to you but if your are taking the valium to simply deal with stress that is a red flag in my eyes. Congrats on 11 months its quite an accomplishment...however complacency can and does lead us to another drink. I truly hope you can get reconnected and start to recieve the promises the program has waiting for you...I am glad you're here...now take some action...nothing changes if nothing changes.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi lankbrev and welcome.

Congratulations on 11 months of sobriety!

The only "requirement" for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no other requirements or any rules for membership. None, zip, nada. That said, there are about a gazillion suggestions from AA's founding members in the Big Book. My ESH is that I learned about the different spiritual tools/principles of AA from reading the BB and other AA literature and then I learned how to use them by going to lots and lots of meetings and listening to other members share their own ESH. That worked really well for me.

I experienced a lot of stress and anxiety early on in sobriety too. You are not alone. I think sobriety for every alcoholic is totally abnormal... :lol: And very scary in the beginning, but it did get easier for me one day at a time. I found that the more I worked the program, the more meetings I attended, the more calm, comfortable and focused I became. If you feel the need for anti-anxiety meds for now, as far as AA is concerned that's an outside issue between you and your doctor and nobody else's business. If you are concerned about developing an addiction to Valium, you should talk to your doctor about exploring some other options for dealing with stress.

Grandad, give me patience, Strength and integrity to see me through the rough times and guide me in the right ways!

Neat prayer! Are you Native American?

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby lankbrev » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:00 pm

thanks for your input guys ! i feel i just need to network with others who understand the struggle !! ive not done any of the steps really other than the first 1 or 2 ive solely got this far on strong mindedness ( other than the first 2 weeks where i had help of a rehab outreach programme) im currently living in a village of alcoholics....quite litterally!! im just quite overwhelmed at the moment but i had a moment earlier where i thought about the 7th of december ( my year anniversary) and couldnt help but smile (and nearly welled up in the middle of work lol ) but i do feel as though i should be taking sobriety more seriously and not for granted as ive only accomplished what i have this year due to sobriety (including moving to cornwall) i keep telling myself a bad day is just a bad day but this has been a bad week which seems like it wont end, im just caught in the eye of the S*** storm i suppose
lankbrev
Forums Newcomer

Postby lankbrev » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:02 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:Hi lankbrev and welcome.

Congratulations on 11 months of sobriety!

The only "requirement" for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no other requirements or any rules for membership. None, zip, nada. That said, there are about a gazillion suggestions from AA's founding members in the Big Book. My ESH is that I learned about the different spiritual tools/principles of AA from reading the BB and other AA literature and then I learned how to use them by going to lots and lots of meetings and listening to other members share their own ESH. That worked really well for me.

I experienced a lot of stress and anxiety early on in sobriety too. You are not alone. I think sobriety for every alcoholic is totally abnormal... :lol: And very scary in the beginning, but it did get easier for me one day at a time. I found that the more I worked the program, the more meetings I attended, the more calm, comfortable and focused I became. If you feel the need for anti-anxiety meds for now, as far as AA is concerned that's an outside issue between you and your doctor and nobody else's business. If you are concerned about developing an addiction to Valium, you should talk to your doctor about exploring some other options for dealing with stress.

Neat prayer! Are you Native American?

Keep coming back....

im british but this is the prayer i say when i feel down and out as my greater power is my grandad which after he died is when i turnt to alcohol
lankbrev
Forums Newcomer

Return to A.A. Birthdays!