Who knew: 27 years seriously?

A.A. Birthdays!

Who knew: 27 years seriously?

Postby positrac » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:14 am

Today I acknowledge 27 years of continuous sobriety and today is a reminder of my past and my present. But most importantly it is for the online people as the first B-day in sobriety is mine and the rest are yours.
So today as I reflect back am I cured? NO but I have had the desire to drink removed for this moment and I might get that urge next? I doubt it as I have learned over the years to think that drink through from start to finish and for that I have been saved many times when I was at my weaker points of life.
So should I be the pillar of spiritual recovery? I could do better in this area. Should my attitude carry the look of someone with my years of sobriety? I guess so as I am different than I was back then and yet I am the same as the mold never changed I just matured and grew up and learned a different way to live.
In another life I knew a person who became sober and attended meetings regularly and on the surface had changed a lot of the past habits that got them into the rooms. But a few areas that never left them were the life style in which they had chosen to live. I had gotten to know this person as good as I was allowed at that time and found out they had this whole other life. I stepped away as I was not interested in this and I knew myself that I would eventually go back out and drink and I was young and also several years sober and still learning how to cope with life on the terms it presented itself daily.

So my point is I am different and yet I am still learning and for me when I stop learning about sobriety and what older members talk about I forget my last drink. The newcomers for me help to remind me of my last drink and to keep it fresh in my mind. I don’t dwell on it because I don’t need to as long as it is nearby. Newcomers are looking to get back into the saddle and act as if the current situation is not happening. I’ve been there and I remember trying to fool myself I’d wake up soon and it would be all over.
I might be considered a loser and really I am not as I have endured a lot of life and have not drunk over the outcomes I have had to endure. I still suffer from some past events and yet I continue to get up each day and do the best I can and some days are really proven by the effort and other days my give a _damn is broken_. All I can suggest is letting the miracle happen as I was one of the chosen to have this gift and I have seen many come and go because they either weren’t ready for sobriety and or it was too hard to endure the life without drinking and drugging. So the desire to stop rests on your shoulders and we have a simple program and the door is open.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Re: Who knew: 27 years seriously?

Postby PuppyEars » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:51 am

Thanks for sharing some of your story and sharing how much time you have sober. It matters a great deal because it inspires me to one day be able to say the same. I hope to never get so arrogant that I don't have to keep count of how long it's been since I was reborn into a better way of living. I always look forward to your shares here.
PuppyEars
Forums Contributor

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:00 am

Congrats Positrac!!!! :D

I have a much different view of this disease and what recovery means now (at 31 years) than I did 5 or 10 years ago. Or even a spiritual experience or an entire psychic change. What the book says and what my life is like are two different things. It is not so cut and dried to be a sober human. No, I don't ever have the urge to drink; and I no longer chide myself for any failing of my childhood. Depth. Go deeper. Do more than say, "the grouch and the brain storm are not for us" or " restraint of tongue and pen."
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Duke » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:51 am

Congratulations Positrac. Thanks for sharing. I always appreciate what you have to share.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:47 am

I just matured and grew up and learned a different way to live.

Thanks for showing me how and congrats on 9855 days of doing the deal!
the first B-day in sobriety is mine and the rest are yours.

I like that! :) :D :mrgreen:

CAKE! :arrow:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Congratulations!!!

Thank you for your honesty in sharing about your journey to this day. It resonates with me and is much appreciated.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:58 am

I want to thank you all for the kind words, some I see don't say much due to friction and opposition of my views and that is ok. See we collectively are sober for many reasons and I am sober for me and me alone. Thankfully my wife and my step daughter never witness my past.

Have a great day and keep smiling.

Sorry I ate the cake before I could officially celebrate and that is all that is left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Duke » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:29 am

:lol:
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Barbara D. » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:24 am

Happy 27th Milepost, Posi!!! Sometimes, your edges are a little rough for me, but I really love the fact that you can still be honest in a gut share!!!
And we do have many things in common, another reinforcement that our similarities are more important than our differences, and the bond grows stronger!
Barbara D.
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:30 am

Cheers all it makes me feel good in a humble way that I have the opportunity to remain sober and still remember that last drink.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Heya Posi :D congratulations and well done man! :D
Gorgeous furry friend :lol:
Mwah xxx Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby CaliJohn » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:42 am

Congrats!
CaliJohn
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:56 am

:D
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to A.A. Birthdays!