celebrating sponsee anniversary

A.A. Birthdays!

celebrating sponsee anniversary

Postby Yburgia » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:32 pm

I am blessed this year to have 2 sponsees in my home group celebrating anniversaries at the same meeting (which just means they will get a medallion). I've seen some cool ways groups celebrate when I've traveled and wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas? I thought about a picnic in the park across from the church before the meeting but one of the sponsees can't get there before the meeting
thanks!
Yburgia
Forums Newcomer

Re: celebrating sponsee anniversary

Postby positrac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:31 am

I would say this solely depends on gender as the guys could careless as long as it is simple and taste good..... Women on the other hand have to make sure everything is in the right spot and the presentation looks the part from the table cover to napkins.
I would then say out of all fairness that if the home group had a committee for B-days did they care if you did???? If not then float the picnic idea as it sounds pretty cool and everyone could contribute and it helps offset things as this B-day is there's to celebrate as much as the meeting in general.

Whatever the case I hope you all have a nice time and it is memorable.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:03 am

My suggestion will be to convene a private meeting and explore on how you can take meetings into corrections facility/treatment centers and be of service to still suffering alcoholics.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby positrac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:47 am

avaneesh912 wrote:My suggestion will be to convene a private meeting and explore on how you can take meetings into corrections facility/treatment centers and be of service to still suffering alcoholics.

You need to find time to acknowledge the years effort before jumping into new service work. I do however like the idea of taking meeting into a jail and or detox facility as it is a good reminder of alternatives to sobriety.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:34 am

There is an Anniversary/Birthday envelope provided by GSO and the celebrant sends GSO a dollar per year. Get a pile of them and pass them out at the District meeting for all the groups in your area and start a new District wide trend!

But a dollar per year is the "old" financial number. The new number in my mind, is 2$ or 5$.... it is time to Break the Buck habit!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Noels » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:29 pm

:D here by us we just do a cake with snax after the meeting. I didn't know we could do it any other way? Meeting some close friends for coffee or breakfast or a picnic would probably be nice :D
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Yburgia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Thanks all. It's 2 women and one is on diet and not doing sugar otherwise I'd just bring a cake! They will be celebrating 4 and 6 years respectively so I like the service ideas a lot.
Yburgia
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 am

Yburgia wrote: They will be celebrating 4 and 6 years respectively so I like the service ideas a lot.

Now that we know exactly the deal on the B-Day then it is the programs B-Day as these ladies have been sober a while and milestones should never be overlooked IMHO. These points in our lives are the ES&H for us and others as they too can make it if they try.

I hope whatever happens you all have a bang up time and it might inspire others to look outside the box for these kinds of moments in AA.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Noels » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:13 am

Heya Yburgia :D try to make a BIG pumpkin fritter for the lady on diet :D then she can still blow her candle and have a traditional but (possibly) healthier " cake " ?
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Return to A.A. Birthdays!