Celebrating 34 years today!

A.A. Birthdays!

Celebrating 34 years today!

Postby emjusten » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:44 am

I am so grateful to celebrate my 34th sobriety anniversary today. It has been a particularly difficult year. My job ended in January 2015 (it was a contract job). Unemployment ran out in May, I had to go on assistance and move out of my in July (being evicted at the same time.) In September on the way to court to file bankruptcy I fell and broke my wrist. That was difficult because it was the hand I write with and I had difficulty dressing myself until it healed.

I have had job interviews along the way and have gotten close but this is the first time I was feeling my age was impacting my ability to get hired (I'm 61). I have been doing physical therapy since October and taking classes to increase my skills. Moving to my sisters has strangely made me more isolated. (I haven't had a car since 2012 when my car was totaled in a car accident.) I had people who used to pick me up for meetings at my old place but although I can occasionally get them to meet me for coffee getting to a meeting is harder. Maybe it will be easier in the summer.

As I learned a long time ago, just because life gets hard it is no reason to consider drinking an option. I consider thinking that way the dirty rotten little voice that is alcoholism. It never ceases to amaze me how working this program can give you a sense of peace and serenity in the midst of some very difficult times.

One of my biggest fears (and I have faced it before) is becoming homeless. I came very close to it this time. One day a thought came to me that calmed me down "what makes you any better than anyone else who is homeless now?" It is kind of like "There but for the grace of God go I." That's right, I'm no better and as long as I stay close to my HP I can trust that I will be ok.

I have been enjoying this site lately; so glad you are all here. I do hate to see the discussions that devolve into arguments. I don't think we allow that in healthy f2f meetings do we?
Ellen J (Minnesota)
When a door shuts a window opens; Lord let me be patient and have faith in you while I wait in the hallway for that window to open.
emjusten
Forums Newcomer

Re: Celebrating 34 years today!

Postby positrac » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:51 am

It is one day at a time and also it is learning to grow and 34 years is no small feat. I hope this year will yield better results and sorry for the hard times you've fell upon.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:10 am

Wow. 34 years. I suppose I would have the same if I had stayed sober my first touch with AA, but I took a 17 trip back out to drinking. Now I have a six year chip. We all have today. I do hope that I can be of service to others without my fears and ego trying to run the show.

I have not been what you are going through, but I know that this program has worked for me in rough going and I am sure it will work for you. I have had to return to basics in this program... might I suggest that you call some of the women you have met over the years and start lining up a ride for everyday of of the week? You know, get the numbers of all the gals each night and take that "heavy" action of giving them a call for a ride! It may be just as hard as it was all those years ago, but if I can do it, you can do it too!

We are here everyday. Keep coming back!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:17 pm

emjustin, thanks for sharing your 34 year anniversary with us!

Really glad you'r here!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby Reborn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:59 pm

Happy birthday...you give me hope...thank you!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Happy AA Birthday, Ellen!

Congratulations on 34 years of sobriety!

Thank you for sharing your sober journey with us. I can relate big time. Early on I found and bought a t-shirt with this message printed on it:

"I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do anything with nothing."

Never wore the shirt, but kept it in my closet for years to read for inspiration (and a chuckle) whenever the Road got dark, narrow, rocky, or seemed more like navigating pot holes than Road. It always helped me to take inventory on who I was, who I am, all the trials by fire I'd already been through (and survived) what I'd learned, and all the work and life skills I'd picked up along my 70+ year journey to today.

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Hanna » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:29 pm

Congratulations, 34 yrs and you remained sober no matter what life threw at you, you give hope to many who will read this, thank you ! Sending prayers your way~
Hanna
emjusten
It never ceases to amaze me how working this program can give you a sense of peace and serenity in the midst of some very difficult times.
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Postby emjusten » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Tonight I was able to get to my home group (I haven't been since last fall) and get a medallion from my co-sponsor and another friend in the program.

My co-sponsor has 25 years and we started co-sponsoring each other when she had about ten years of sobriety. My other friend will have 11 years on March 13. They said nice things about me (my favorite part of getting a medallion) and my friend with 10 years gave me the March issue of the Grapevine, which has articles this month about old timers. A woman who had one-two years of sobriety said I gave her hope. I also got lots of hugs.

All in all I am filled with gratitude and joy. I hope to be able to go more often now that the weather is nicer. There are some financial issues. The meeting tonight was on trusting our HP completely and turning our life and will over. Tomorrow is a new day!
Ellen J (Minnesota)
When a door shuts a window opens; Lord let me be patient and have faith in you while I wait in the hallway for that window to open.
emjusten
Forums Newcomer

Postby tyg » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:23 pm

♫♫♫.•*¨`*•..¸♥☼♥ ¸.•*¨`*•.♫♫♫
╔═══════ ೋღღೋ ═══════╗
Happy 34th Anniversary!!!
╚═══════ ೋღღೋ ═══════╝
♫♫♫.•*¨`*•..¸♥☼♥ ¸.•*¨`*•.♫♫♫

It never ceases to amaze me how working this program can give you a sense of peace and serenity in the midst of some very difficult times.
Still amazes me to. It is a wonderful gift. Sending, prayers that this year, things will turn around for you soon and, with comfort and ease.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby Duke » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:33 am

Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I'm so glad our founders chose the word "trudging" for this road we follow. It, like your share, reminds me their are no promises about circumstances, only our attitude toward them. Thanks for helping me with my own attitude.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby Db1105 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:23 am

Congratulations on your 34 years!
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby DennisD » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:52 pm

Congratulations. It's posts and stories like this that strengthen my belief that this program is really what it takes to get sober and stay there.
I'm on my way, I'm on my way to better days, I'll find my way - Breaking Benjamin, Better Days
DennisD
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Noels » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:23 am

Hallo Emjusten and welcome. I'm so sorry I am late in wishing you for your 34th celebration. We had a one year celebration at the group I attended last night and I thought that was big. For your celebration I would have had the party poppers, little whistles blowing and lots of blingy shiny thingies - everything with your name on!
From EZ's post I gather you are a lady alcoholic? If so, your term of sobriety really means a lot to me as I am female myself and I heard at my previous group that apparently not even 1 per cent of female alcoholics achieve long term and continued sobriety? (as if we need any more odds against us :x )
So congratulations and well done and please do not worry about the future although I can relate and understand the uneasiness.
It is clear to me that your Higher Power have done a really good job looking after you this far and I refuse to even consider that He/She/It will let you down after all these years.
Look after yourself and perhaps rest and relax while you have the chance so when the change come you can dive in with zest and show the youngsters how its done :D :wink:
Thank you for joining us on this site. I needed to hear your inspiring message.
Love and Light
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby K225 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Congrats on 34 years. You've been sober longer than I've been alive :D Now if I could only make 34 days...
"When you're going through hell, keep going".-Winston Churchill
K225
Forums Enthusiast

Postby whipping post » Wed May 18, 2016 4:52 am

34 years is super inspirational. Congrats!! :D
whipping post
Forums Contributor

Return to A.A. Birthdays!