What I learned at a birthday party

A.A. Birthdays!

What I learned at a birthday party

Postby OnPoint » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:00 pm

In my first homegroup we celebrated all the birthdays for the month at the 8:00 PM meeting on the last Monday of the month. It was the one meeting a month that nobody missed. The night I celebrated one year there were nine one-years celebrating. All of us one years were high-fiving each other and whooping it up. It was a great night to be sober.

The real lesson came the next year when I showed up at birthday night to get my two year chip. There were exactly two people getting two year chips that night. Two out of nine made it through the second year. If you will forgive the pun, it was a sobering realization. I'm not sure why I made it when so many others didn't. I've been sober a long time now, and I really don't need another chip to remind me of that. But every year I go get a new chip just in case someone else needs to see that it is possible to stay sober. And I every year I say a prayer for those seven people, wherever they may be. And I remember how grateful I was that night when I got my two year chip.
OnPoint
Forums Enthusiast

Re: What I learned at a birthday party

Postby SWIT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:01 am

Congratulations on your sobriety. I think that is very kind of you to still pray and think of the other people that did not make to year two. I think it is important to always have hope. The chips you have can show others that are starting out that it can be done and it does take hard work. I wish you the best of luck.
SWIT
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:58 am

It is sobering isn't? How did I make it when so few of the others did? There is a story in the Big Book where a gal ponders "what is the one thing that I do that keeps me sober?" she doesn't want to find out and neither do I. For that means that I did not do that thing and I got drunk. It is like a combination of things, or maybe a well timed intuitive thought. I don't like to think that an HP saved me and not them.

Alcohol is truly cunning, baffling and powerful and the idea that alcohol was a good solution got into their brain and didn't let go ~ or they didn't let go of it.

So congrats and keep doing what you are doing - do a little more too. Keep your hand out for them.
I hope they make it back.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby clouds » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:01 am

I often think about this paragraph that follows from the chapter 'To Wives':

"If he gets drunk, don't blame yourself. God has either removed your husband's liquor problem or He has not. If not, it had better be found out right away. Then you and your husband can get right down to fundamentals. If repetition is to be prevented, place the problem, along with everything else, in God's hands."

Is seems to say God removes our liquor problem, ie. keeps alcoholics sober.

I don't like it either. It means we don't actually have control over who gets sober, stays sober and who dies from things out of our control, children or adults.

I am gratful for my sobriety, but that doesn't mean I'm better off than those who have died or those who haven't got sober yet. In the long run, they may be much superior to me in a more eternal way. This is something I don't know but suspect.
So I accept and just try to place these things "along with everything else, in God's hands." Otherwise I might go nuts trying to figure out what God's doing with the Universe and all the people and things in it.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Return to A.A. Birthdays!