The secret to long term sobriety

For recovery discussion

The secret to long term sobriety

Postby Greywolf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 am

Don't drink and don't die. =biggrin
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Re: The secrete to long term sobriety

Postby PaigeB » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Re: The secrete to long term sobriety

Postby positrac » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 am

Sounds too good to be true; what is the catch? How much is this going to cost me and do I get a t-shirt?
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Re: The secret to long term sobriety

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:37 am

My understanding of this whole thing about sobriety is, we keep in fit spiritual condition then we get to enjoy a sober, contended life. Otherwise, we shift back to the old state. That is the 10th step promise.

We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

and then comes the warning:

What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.

Contingent upon maintenance of our spiritual condition.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Frihed89 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:24 am

I just read these two posts and both of them have a lot of meaning to me.

The first speaks one to a sufficient condition: we have to be alive, while the second, to maintain our faith in God through action, is a necessary condition for a long sobriety.

My plan for the future is to continue on the path of both conditions.
Frihed89
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Greywolf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 am

Ebby kept in a "fit spiritual condition" yet he didn't maintain his sobriety.

Tom Burwell, an AA pioneer, is quoted as saying, "You see the real idea was that all you had to have was a spiritual experience. Get down on your knees, understand your problem, and no more booze. We had no more idea in the world, I give you my word on this, in '38, that the reason we were staying sober was that we were holding on to each other... We began to see that only those going to meetings were staying sober.’’

Personally I don't know whether maintaining a fit spiritual condition without AA unity or if AA unity without maintaining a fit spiritual condition is sufficient to stay sober but my sobriety is too precious to me to try either way without the other.

I sometimes wonder if the humility required to acknowledge the need for the Fellowship is the key to beginning a life without alcohol. Conversely I wonder if the arrogance to think one doesn't need the Fellowship is the key to ending a life without alcohol. From Bill's Story, "God has to work twenty-four hours a day in and through us, or we perish."

Both incidences involve ones spiritual condition -- on one hand a humbleness to know one is not an island. On the other hand one who is too arrogant to need help is too arrogant to be of much help.
Last edited by Greywolf on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Greywolf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:51 am

I have just completed 55 years of sobriety and I thought the situation cried out for just a little bit of levity. Thus the "Secrete to long term sobriety."

This quote from Bill's Story seems to cover it.

"There is, however, a vast amount of fun about it all. I suppose some would be shocked at our seeming worldliness and levity. But just underneath there is deadly earnestness."

Rule 62 comes to mind also. Sometimes we take ourselves too damn seriously.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 am

55 Years is quite a milestone and one to be humbly proud of. Seriousness and "lite" hearted is something I do and yet I do step up the heat on some because of the petty things. I have no desire to go back and see if I could drink as I know in the end I'd take my life because of the character defects I have. Alcohol is a mere symptom and the rest lies on our shoulders to deal with.

But really in my earlier post it did sound to good to be true and being so friendly I knew it cost a lot and if I got the t-shirt well I at least tried like at summer camp when I was a kid. I read wrong into that one for sure.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Brock » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 am

Tom Burwell, an AA pioneer, is quoted as saying, "You see the real idea was that all you had to have was a spiritual experience. Get down on your knees, understand your problem, and no more booze. We had no more idea in the world, I give you my word on this, in '38, that the reason we were staying sober was that we were holding on to each other... We began to see that only those going to meetings were staying sober.’’

There is a little ‘typo’ there, I think he was Jim not Tom, unless there were two pioneers named Burwell. He helped a lot in having some of the heavy God references removed, being an atheist himself, he actually described himself as a ‘militant atheist.’ It stands to reason that since he didn’t believe in a higher power at the time, that he would say it’s the meetings keeping them all sober, and not a higher power.
I sometimes wonder if the humility required to acknowledge the need for the Fellowship is the key to beginning a life without alcohol.

This is quite possible, and is a good point, except where it says it is the key, certainly the humility of facing our fellows in meetings helps, but it can never be hinted that it is essential. Therefore everyone who comes here seeking assistance, is advised to attend meetings if they can, I have never seen anyone advised that they don’t need them.

However, this is an online AA group, and we do get from time to time, people who simply have no access to meetings whatsoever, whether due to work, like the fellow we had on the Alaskan pipeline, or the few we have had living in isolated places with no other AA’s around, I seem to remember one who worked six month tours on oil tankers as well. So any indication that we could not achieve happy sobriety without meetings, would be the same as telling these people there is no hope for them, and that is something we will never do.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Ebby kept in a fit spiritual condition.........hmmm... I heard he was filled with resentments because he was not given proper credit! I am not sure, you throw these statements as though you were there witnessing every thing that went on during that phase.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:08 am

Ebby kept in a fit spiritual condition.........hmmm... I heard he was filled with resentments because he was not given proper credit! I am not sure, you throw these statements as though you were there witnessing every thing that went on during that phase.

Bill seemed to think Ebby was in fit spiritual condition in Bill's Story in the BB. That's all I have to go by.........hmmm... If Ebby had his resentments he had them after he drank, not before in a fit spiritual condition.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Postby tomsteve » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:48 am

Greywolf wrote:Don't drink and don't die. =biggrin

my first sponsor said id "get it' so long as i didnt drink even if my ass fell off. :)
it came close one day, but i didnt drink!
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:28 am

Bill seemed to think Ebby was in fit spiritual condition in Bill's Story in the BB. That's all I have to go by.........hmmm... If Ebby had his resentments he had them after he drank, not before in a fit spiritual condition.

If we look at the extensive AA archives, available just by putting in a few key words about Ebby and resentment in Google, we would not say “That's all I have to go by.”

In her biography Bill’s wife Lois, speaks about Ebby’s resentment and jealously of Bill, also the AA historian Mel B wrote a book called “Ebby: The Man Who Sponsored Bill W.” In that he quotes an early AA Bob D - “It was easy for me to determine that Ebby held a deep resentment for Bill, Dr Bob et al……” And also quotes Ebbys employer Tom B -“He thought he never got the recognition that he should.”

This little side ‘argument,’ started after this comment was boldly made as a stand alone comment, with no further explanation - “Ebby kept in a "fit spiritual condition" yet he didn't maintain his sobriety.” Now when others question it, we get a roundabout excuse that “that’s all I have to go by.” As avaneesh said - “you throw these statements as though you were there witnessing every thing that went on during that phase.” We have a discussion forum in which people often learn new things, and a certain responsibility to at least attempt to provide facts, not just whimsically throw out statements with no basis in fact.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby avaneesh912 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Bill seemed to think Ebby was in fit spiritual condition in Bill's Story in the BB.

You are person I see who can use the book to substantiate your stance. Of course Bill saw there was something working in Ebby. The story says he was sober for 2 months. It doesn't talk about what the state of his mind when he relapsed. Either you are naive or just smart to play this game.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Greywolf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Bill seemed to think Ebby was in fit spiritual condition in Bill's Story in the BB.

You are person I see who can use the book to substantiate your stance. Of course Bill saw there was something working in Ebby. The story says he was sober for 2 months. It doesn't talk about what the state of his mind when he relapsed.

But it does talk about his state of mind before he relapsed. My point as you so eloquently made is being spiritually fit is not a guarantee you will not relapse.
Greywolf
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to Discussions