That Ain't in the Big Book

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS
Frankie
Forums Enthusiast

That Ain't in the Big Book

Post by Frankie »

Good Morning!!

I use to go to some real lively meetings. Meetings, that people would challenge each other to prove what they were saying was in The Big Book. It was really kinda fun and taught me to make sure I "thought" I knew what I was talking about, or to a least say this is what I "think" it's telling me...

Anyway, I found a page, on-line, that has some statement with their locations in The Big Book. I'd like to share them with you a little bit at a time because the list is long. Here's a few to start and let me know if you like me to continue. Maybe you've heard a few you'd like to share. Thanks!

THAT ISN’T IN THE BOOK! WE HEAR A LOT OF STUFF SAID IN MEETINGS THAT CAN'T BE RECONCILED WITH THE PROGRAM AS DESCRIBED IN THE BIG BOOK OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS. WHAT FOLLOWS ARE SOME OF THE THINGS WE OFTEN HEAR, ALONG WITH WHAT THE 1ST EDITION OF OUR BASIC TEXT HAS TO SAY ON THE SUBJECT.

"Remember your last drunk"

Page 24, Paragraph 2: "We are unable, at times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink."

"I choose not to drink today"

Page 24 Paragraph 2: "The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink."

"Play the tape all the way through"

Page 24, paragraph 3: "The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts do occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove."

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Re: That Ain't in the Big Book

Post by leejosepho »

My first sponsor was very thorough in being sure I knew to always check everything from anywhere against the experience shared in our book, and that even applied to anything and everything he ever shared with me. Like in the examples you have posted, there are many things floating around in today's AA that are in direct conflict with alcoholism as we understand it and recovery as we have experienced it. At the same time, however, what better or safer place might there be for recovery prospects and newcomers to try out some of our own old ideas for themselves?!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================