What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

The book Alcoholics Anonymous, aka The Big Book, is the basic text for the AA program of sobriety. "Alcoholics Anonymous" Copyright 2012 AAWS, Inc. All Rights, Reserved. Short excerpts used by permission of AAWS

Re: What's your favourite piece out of the Big Book?

Postby Tosh » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:14 am

Page 87:

we pause, when agitated

I interpret this to mean, "Tosh, just shut up, just keep that big fat mouth shut, shssssssssssssssss!"

It's a real marriage saver.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Old Rocker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:28 pm

The ABC's !!
Accepted the ABC's 01/04/95.
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.
Old Rocker
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Spirit Flower » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:09 am

In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, in Bill's Story, starting around page 13, I piece together a theory of living: "...I placed myself unreservedly under His care and direction...I was to sit quietly when in doubt...I must turn in all things to the Father of Light...the moment I fully accepted, the effect was electric. There was a sense of victory, followed by such a peace and serenity as I had never known. There was utter confidence. I felt lifted up, as though the great clean wind of a mountain top blew through and through..."

I was musing on this this morning. It seems to me that any time I stop and sit before the Father of Lights, I feel the peace, serenity, utter confidence, the great clean wind. Yes, total surrender.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

Postby Astrid » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:41 pm

"Never mind the musty past, here sat a miracle right in front of me. He shouted great tidings."

Or something like that.
"The difficulty lies in our own imagination. It takes time to overcome the restrictions that we place on our own ideas." - John Tabak PhD 'History of Mathematics'
Astrid
Forums Enthusiast

Postby PaigeB » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Love and tolerance of others is our code.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 84

Also the quote in my signature line (which is from the 12 & 12)
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Old Rocker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:05 am

My sig has it.
Accepted the ABC's 01/04/95.
(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.
Old Rocker
Forums Enthusiast

Postby valentino30 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 am

'rarely have we seen a person fail who truly follows this program', 'those who do not recover are those who cannot and will not truly give themselves to this simple program'... this is so true
valentino30
Forums Newcomer

Postby larrylive » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:14 am

Chapter 4
We Agnostics

"And it means, of course, we are going to talk about God"

c. AAWS

Be Well,
Larry
All the gods send their drunks to AA
larrylive
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Glidermama » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:24 pm

I just read chapter 4 last night and one thing that spoke to me when the ministers son asked himself "who are you to say there is no God?". I don't know why but that had an effect on me.
Glidermama
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Patsy© » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:13 am

I love this part of the Big Book.

Page 59 :)
Here are the steps we took, which are suggested as a program of recovery
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby tyg » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:09 am

page 564

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance— that principle is contempt prior to investigation.”
—Herbert Spencer

I love this quote because it taught me to give things an honest try before i judge wether it is for me or not. I wasted a lot of time a sick alcoholic who couldn't stay sober because I was not willing to surrender to this program. I thought I knew what was best for me and could pick and choose what parts of the Alcoholics Anonymous I would do. How wrong I was...

Still today, when I start getting contempt about something(in and outside of AA), this paragraph pops into my head.
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby sober_life » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:56 am

My favorite parts are many, it's hard to [pick one, but one that reminds me is the paragraph in Italics on page 24
The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

We are without defense against the first drink

is why I need to remind myself and do as suggested, I have no defense otherwise.
I have had an experience after so long in sobriety, meeting after meeting and out of the blue, loud as church bell, when I was passing a place in town pass a bar with a half empty beer glass on the window, my mind said, "no one will know"...
I stopped, and pondered to "see inside" mind, where that came from, why and so forth.
My defense was, "God, what now" ? Just kept walking and the thing in my head just evaporated.
That's the cunning bit about this dis-ease.
Without the AA program, I probably have gone inside and have taken a drink, I knew of no defense otherwise.
sober_life
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:20 pm

i have many parts of the book i love and some i strongly disagree with

but here is one part of the book i love

We have shown how we got out from under. You say, “Yes, I’m willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?”

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Reborn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:13 pm

I don't have my book with me but the one that pops into my head is Pg. 164

"Our book is meant to suggestive only, we realize we know only a little. God will constantly disclose more to you and to us. Ask him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick. The answers will come if your own house is in order, but obviously you cannot transmit something you haven't got. See to it that your relationship with Him is right and great events will come to pass for you and countless others. This is the Great fact for us.

Abandon yourself to God as you understand God. Admit your faults to him and to your fellows. Clear away the wreckage of you past, give freely of what you find and join us. We shall be with you in the fellowship of the spirit and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny. May God bless you and keep you until then."

Sums up the first 164 beautifully!!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Reborn » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Had to add one more...

Pg 61

"Is he not a victim of the delusion that he can wrest happiness and satisfaction out of this world if he only manages well."

Still doing this one but working on it.
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

PreviousNext

Return to Big Book Study